Page 223 of 262 FirstFirst ... 123173213219220221222223224225226227233 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,575 of 6544

Thread: If you think it, post it

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    Are you having a future Lady Zag or a future MBB star?
    Boy, and I'm putting my money on another lefty. He was sucking his left thumb when they first caught him, my oldest was doing the exact same thing and is left handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    Boy, and I'm putting my money on another lefty. He was sucking his left thumb when they first caught him, my oldest was doing the exact same thing and is left handed.
    Congratulations!
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Ok, "If you think it post it" and this is non-political but did anyone hear President Trump speak yesterday and slur his last words? Could this be serious?

Yes.
    And I have my suspicions about what it may be.

Yes.
    And I have my suspicions about what it may be.
    What do you think it might be? Might it be a mild stroke?

I would love to hear from some of the MD's that post.

After 13+ years, I lost my job yesterday. :-/
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Sh!t.

PM me if there's anything I can do, even though I'm not in town there anymore, at least not day to day.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I am so very sorry to hear that...what is it with employers/companies that seem the best to cut ties is in December, right before Christmas!!!

You are in my prayers and I hope that something comes up PDQ for you and yours!

I was going to post something typically sarcastic regarding the news of the day when I clicked this thread.

Then I saw Phish's post, felt the blood drain out of my face, and traded the sarcasm in on a new batch of compassion, empathy, and show of support.

Sometimes words fail. This is one of them.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

I'm sorry. I will be praying for you and your family.
    Bring back the OCC

Sorry phish

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

So sorry. I went through that 10 years ago, at 59, and had to start my own business. Sometimes life throws lemons. Let us know when, and we'll be over for lemonade.
    It's not funny.

I am really sorry to hear that.

Thanks, guys.

Timing is a funny thing.

Our daughter just finished up at Western; we're headed over to B'ham next weekend to see her graduate. It's the end of a long, challenging arc for her -- and the end of large, challenging payments for us! That massive change opened up space for other changes.

Mrs. Phish just left her job in October after 32 years, mostly on account of stress attached to her position triggering seizures left and right (Mrs. Phish has very serious epilepsy). Once she was out we could, at last, earnestly seek better solutions - lasting solutions - for her. We are going up that road now and it looks like she is a good candidate for brain surgery. Long term monitoring is scheduled for March and we go from there. 2018 was already promising to be quite a year.

Then this.

Since we were teenagers we haven't seen a time where neither of us were working - let alone in a context like this.

And truth be told it's not as dire as it looks on the surface. I got a decent enough package that includes health care for a year. We're hoping that surgery can happen in that window, if in fact that's the final recommendation. Securing that coverage was most important, and having it in place takes most of the thought numbing, free-fall fear out of the situation.

As for the rest, I have since fall been very focused on becoming the artist that I actually am. I've never given myself permission to make creativity the center of my life -- until this year. This is a cool development, but cooler still is that I have my first few projects actually going in the studio - art installations, logos, merch and web design. Good stuff, important work and a great learning experience.

So I've been going day and night for a while. Work my 10-hour weekday, grab a quick bite, head to the studio and crank until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. Every day. Weekends are for fast paced work, top to bottom, as much as can be squeezed in. I've been doing this because, A) I had a feeling my current situation wasn't looking promising, and B) I really, really wanted to build an off-ramp out of my corporate gig and into my dream work.

Now, in every way, I'm just beat. Generally speaking I'm pretty solid on stamina, but that has a limit. The last couple weeks have been trying, and still I kept pushing, pushing.

When my Seattle boss called for an in-person meeting in Spokane on a Friday at the end of the pay period, I had a funny feeling.

But I walked out of there thinking, "All right. Full time on real design, then."

Back to Mrs. Phish... She is a terrific artist, just at the start of that journey. She enjoys the hell out of watercolor and illustration. That point threads into a broader idea that we could become a super cool mom and pop design firm. Mrs. Phish has decades of managerial and operational knowledge, and I bring the ethereal corporate voodoo like consulting, strategy, systems architecture -- and a full slate of digital design skills. Together we have a pretty badass range of capability; we're curious about where that can take us. Relentless focus on business and customer experience are what we're all about, and that provides some market cachet when put next to many self satisfied, snooty design firms in the newly hip Spokane.

Even in this crazy corridor of time when all seems dark, uncertain, we find ourselves wondering if we're on the cusp of real freedom. Are we closer than ever to a future that we prefer, that is healthy, that gives us more time and still provides well? I hope.

Funny background detail... Before all of this we had decided to buy a dog. In 32 years we've had lots of cats but never a dog. We select the puppy on December 22, and we will pick him up on our return from the annual AZ Christmas trip January 4th. Today we went to meet all the puppies from whom we'll be choosing -- therapeutic in its own right -- and it felt like a happy foreshadowing of a 2018 that brings nothing but new.

Thank you for the kindness, prayers and encouragement. I so value my friends here.

Onward and upward.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Thanks, guys.

Timing is a funny thing.

Our daughter just finished up at Western; we're headed over to B'ham next weekend to see her graduate. It's the end of a long, challenging arc for her -- and the end of large, challenging payments for us! That massive change opened up space for other changes.

Mrs. Phish just left her job in October after 32 years, mostly on account of stress attached to her position triggering seizures left and right (Mrs. Phish has very serious epilepsy). Once she was out we could, at last, earnestly seek better solutions - lasting solutions - for her. We are going up that road now and it looks like she is a good candidate for brain surgery. Long term monitoring is scheduled for March and we go from there. 2018 was already promising to be quite a year.

Then this.

Since we were teenagers we haven't seen a time where neither of us were working - let alone in a context like this.

And truth be told it's not as dire as it looks on the surface. I got a decent enough package that includes health care for a year. We're hoping that surgery can happen in that window, if in fact that's the final recommendation. Securing that coverage was most important, and having it in place takes most of the thought numbing, free-fall fear out of the situation.

As for the rest, I have since fall been very focused on becoming the artist that I actually am. I've never given myself permission to make creativity the center of my life -- until this year. This is a cool development, but cooler still is that I have my first few projects actually going in the studio - art installations, logos, merch and web design. Good stuff, important work and a great learning experience.

So I've been going day and night for a while. Work my 10-hour weekday, grab a quick bite, head to the studio and crank until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. Every day. Weekends are for fast paced work, top to bottom, as much as can be squeezed in. I've been doing this because, A) I had a feeling my current situation wasn't looking promising, and B) I really, really wanted to build an off-ramp out of my corporate gig and into my dream work.

Now, in every way, I'm just beat. Generally speaking I'm pretty solid on stamina, but that has a limit. The last couple weeks have been trying, and still I kept pushing, pushing.

When my Seattle boss called for an in-person meeting in Spokane on a Friday at the end of the pay period, I had a funny feeling.

But I walked out of there thinking, "All right. Full time on real design, then."

Back to Mrs. Phish... She is a terrific artist, just at the start of that journey. She enjoys the hell out of watercolor and illustration. That point threads into a broader idea that we could become a super cool mom and pop design firm. Mrs. Phish has decades of managerial and operational knowledge, and I bring the ethereal corporate voodoo like consulting, strategy, systems architecture -- and a full slate of digital design skills. Together we have a pretty badass range of capability; we're curious about where that can take us. Relentless focus on business and customer experience are what we're all about, and that provides some market cachet when put next to many self satisfied, snooty design firms in the newly hip Spokane.

Even in this crazy corridor of time when all seems dark, uncertain, we find ourselves wondering if we're on the cusp of real freedom. Are we closer than ever to a future that we prefer, that is healthy, that gives us more time and still provides well? I hope.

Funny background detail... Before all of this we had decided to buy a dog. In 32 years we've had lots of cats but never a dog. We select the puppy on December 22, and we will pick him up on our return from the annual AZ Christmas trip January 4th. Today we went to meet all the puppies from whom we'll be choosing -- therapeutic in its own right -- and it felt like a happy foreshadowing of a 2018 that brings nothing but new.

Thank you for the kindness, prayers and encouragement. I so value my friends here.

Onward and upward.
    It's wonderful to hear that you're so upbeat and challenges bring about opportunity as you note. I got a good lesson in that. I haven't gotten rich from my endeavor yet, monetarily, but it definitely was the most enriching thing I've done in life outside family. Money can't buy that type of feeling.

I smiled upon seeing the "grind it out till 2:00 a.m. at the studio." I know the feeling of loving a project so much that one is upset it's 1:00 a.m. and there's a child to feed at 7:00 a.m. and have to put it up. That is life at its best IMO.

You have a whole family here, obviously. Just give a shout, everyone needs a solid once in a while.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Thanks for taking the time to update us on your prospects, Phish. The Mom & Pop design team concept seems right as rain for you and the lovely Mrs. Phish. After our get-together in August with Dixie, I jut knew you were looking at other options. And now THE MAN has forced your hand a bit.

DOWN WITH THE MAN !

Very sorry to hear this Phish. Sounds like you're handling it well and I'm predicting it's a blessing in disguise.

I don't have a lot of folks on my ignore list, but after a decade and a half Abe gained entry. Maybe I'll take him off after Perkins graduates. ☹️

Good luck Phish.

Sometimes things happen for the best.

I've been let go twice with my company (our department closed).
    The first time that they let me go, well, I was a basket case, I was in my 30s, not knowing
    what I was going to do for a living. You know insecurity, bills to pay, etc.

The second time, I was let go, well, I was ready.
    Just give me my package and I am out of there.

Guess what, they called me back as a contractor.
    The beauty is that I don't have to drive or take the bus to the office anymore.

.... It is time to pursue what you really wanted to do in life.

Sorry to hear you were let go Phish, I really hope your mom and pop business idea takes off and your wife's health improves.

Found out today that my son's preschool is closing. Between my two boys, they've closed 3, yes THREE, schools and the oldest is only in 1st grade. I feel bad for all the teachers that have had to find new work. I don't want to homeschool at this point because I kind of like having a house.

On a related note, it's never too early to start thinking about what colleges they should apply to...so who do we want to see close? Duke, UNC?

Found out today that my son's preschool is closing. Between my two boys, they've closed 3, yes THREE, schools and the oldest is only in 1st grade. I feel bad for all the teachers that have had to find new work. I don't want to homeschool at this point because I kind of like having a house.

On a related note, it's never too early to start thinking about what colleges they should apply to...so who do we want to see close? Duke, UNC?
    I vote for both
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

Phish... sorry... been so buried as of late that I haven't been checking the boards much outside of the prediction threads and etc... Sorry and happy for you at the same time. Sorry, because losing a job sucks... period. Happy for you because it sounds like it is giving you the opportunity to pursue your dreams. Remember, when your job is doing something you love, it isn't really a job... but rather an outlet of your soul that you share with others (for money )
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Thanks, guys.

Timing is a funny thing.

Then this.

Onward and upward.
    I'm sorry to hear the bad news, Phish, but I'm so impressed with your positive attitude and mindset. The mental approach seems as important as anything in tough situations.

Is there any place I can see some of your art online?
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    Is there any place I can see some of your art online?
    Almost! Stay tuned!