Page 238 of 263 FirstFirst ... 138188228234235236237238239240241242248 ... LastLast
Results 5,926 to 5,950 of 6570

Thread: If you think it, post it

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Question to ponder. If an interstate highway starts and stops within the same state... it is truly an interstate?
    Hmmmm

Are you excluding the ring highways? You know, the ones that if you're going into Houston or Denver or something coming off I-10, or I-80 and you run into the one that basically does a circle around town that is numbered I-410, or I-580? Or are you talking a branch that connects 2 but is only within one state?

I am not sure why I think that matters. I do know that the interstates are kept up by the federal gov. Same as "U.S. highways"

I studied the interstate system out of fascination that it could even be done, what a massive infrastructure plan.

Hey everyone, here's a thing, I was once driving from the south back up the Pac-NW, and it was like the 2nd or 3rd week of September, and I was going through Missouri on the one that connects St. Louis and KC, and then I went north on another one through Jerrerson City, and then all the way up through Council Bluffs to Sioux City.

And, you're just going to have to trust me on this, it was jaw-dropping beautiful country.

Now, I gotta admit, it wouldn't be quite so beautiful the 2nd or 3rd week of January. Middle of Sept is about the prettiest time of year anywhere.

But, it wasn't flat as the kitchen floor, kind of low low rolling hills, and not just farm fields, tree stands in between fields. It was just gorgeous.

And I'll never forget that I had the radio on in Iowa and the Univ. of Iowa was playing an OOC game at Arizona, which was obviously a night game, and we drove 300 miles or whatever up Iowa, and I was listening to the pre-game broadcast - 3 hours! PRE-game, and I would go through small towns with different stations, and would just adjust the dial as I went, and I probably heard "This is the Iowa Hawkeye Network for Hawkeye football" about 5,000 times, such that it's etched into my brain.

Anyone else familiar with that area? Really was surprised how pretty it was.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    I was at a red light this afternoon and Josh Perkins crossed the crosswalk in front of me. I waved furiously and he casually waved back. I then realized how silly this might have seemed to him, and hoped that he gets this kind of reaction enough in Spokane that it was no biggie. I'll roll down the window and yell "Go Zags!" next time.
    Yeah... I suspect I would have gone full fan-boy.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    I was at a red light this afternoon and Josh Perkins crossed the crosswalk in front of me. I waved furiously and he casually waved back. I then realized how silly this might have seemed to him, and hoped that he gets this kind of reaction enough in Spokane that it was no biggie. I'll roll down the window and yell "Go Zags!" next time.
    *Puts on crossing guard vest, white gloves and whistle, steps out of car to make sure he safely crosses street and is not in harm's way*

I think you handled the situation well, Phish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    *Puts on crossing guard vest, white gloves and whistle, steps out of car to make sure he safely crosses street and is not in harm's way*

I think you handled the situation well, Phish.
    Carries him across the street, offers to walk him to class, or Subway, whatever.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Ugh.... for the third time in the last 1.5 days I have lost at a minimum and hour's worth of work. I will preface this with, 95-99% of the work I do is done on remote machines. This is because they are far more secure than desktop machines. Considering the work I do gives me access to FERPA/highly sensitive data for every student, faculty member, administrator, etc. Many of us in our department share this one remote server. One person, in his infinite wisdom, has decided, in his quest to solve a problem he is having with an upgrade, that it is OK to just randomly reboot this server. I am ready to gut this man with a dull spoon.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Ugh.... for the third time in the last 1.5 days I have lost at a minimum and hour's worth of work. I will preface this with, 95-99% of the work I do is done on remote machines. This is because they are far more secure than desktop machines. Considering the work I do gives me access to FERPA/highly sensitive data for every student, faculty member, administrator, etc. Many of us in our department share this one remote server. One person, in his infinite wisdom, has decided, in his quest to solve a problem he is having with an upgrade, that it is OK to just randomly reboot this server. I am ready to gut this man with a dull spoon.
    Sorry for the knucklehead!

On an aside, I'll bet you used to walk around a lot more in the earlier days of your career before remote access was a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Sorry for the knucklehead!

On an aside, I'll bet you used to walk around a lot more in the earlier days of your career before remote access was a thing!
    Been so long since we switched to this system that I can't even remember what it was like. Been this way since we switched off the mainframe system about 13 years ago.

My middle son, Corey, is a soccer player. He's good and its one of the joys of life to watch him play. He's got a feel for the game and he's quick. Even though he's a defender, he's aggressive and consistently attempts to turn a won possession into an offensive opportunity.

He also has played on the CYO basketball team for their school for many years now. He has never been a starter for the basketball team or a particularly skilled basketball player relative to his peers, but he enjoys playing. This year, his team won the regular season league championship. They have a playoff (kind of like the WCC tournament) after the regular season and on Wednesday they won their quarterfinal, putting them into the Semi's last night. Unfortunately for the team, they had a horrible shooting night and lost. As usual, Corey was not a starter, but I was a pretty proud Dad as Corey was put in and left in for the full 4th quarter in his team's comeback attempt. He's just so scrappy and determined that he's a natural in that situation, even though he's the smallest player on the court (by far!).

Tonight the 4th grade team that I coach goes against the top seed in the quarters. My youngest son is our point guard. We ended their undefeated streak earlier in the season, I hope we can get them again!

As a sports nut, its an absolute joy for me that my boys participate and a bonus that they are finding their niches' and having a little bit of success here and there!

As a sports nut, its an absolute joy for me that my boys participate and a bonus that they are finding their niches' and having a little bit of success here and there!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I'm really looking forward to this. My oldest is only 7 so we haven't really gotten to do real teams yet, just learn to play type programs. We did a "try hockey for a day" thing last year and that was amusing, we might put him in a Little Penguins program if I can teach him to be a stronger skater... although I don't know that I'm gung ho about the hockey equipment stink. He's scrawny but seems to "get" the spacing in team sports so hopefully that helps him in whatever he plays.

My middle son, Corey, is a soccer player. He's good and its one of the joys of life to watch him play. He's got a feel for the game and he's quick. Even though he's a defender, he's aggressive and consistently attempts to turn a won possession into an offensive opportunity.

He also has played on the CYO basketball team for their school for many years now. He has never been a starter for the basketball team or a particularly skilled basketball player relative to his peers, but he enjoys playing. This year, his team won the regular season league championship. They have a playoff (kind of like the WCC tournament) after the regular season and on Wednesday they won their quarterfinal, putting them into the Semi's last night. Unfortunately for the team, they had a horrible shooting night and lost. As usual, Corey was not a starter, but I was a pretty proud Dad as Corey was put in and left in for the full 4th quarter in his team's comeback attempt. He's just so scrappy and determined that he's a natural in that situation, even though he's the smallest player on the court (by far!).

Tonight the 4th grade team that I coach goes against the top seed in the quarters. My youngest son is our point guard. We ended their undefeated streak earlier in the season, I hope we can get them again!

I coached my daughter in soccer from when she was 8 until she was 14. I coached my son from 4 until 18. It is tough coaching your kids because you really need to separate them from being your kid to being just one of the kids on the team. Luckily, I got quite a bit of time to learn to do that. But that being said... nothing feels better than watching your son (played right middy for me for most of his career) line up to take a free kick from 40 yards out, have him look at you and telling him... "put it on goal"... watching him line up and proceed to kick the ball 40 or so yards and have it go right over the goalie's fingers, brush the bottom of the crossbar and into the goal. Then having your son point at you with a huge smile before getting dog-piled by his teammates. But while kids came and went... many of the kids I coached I had from when they were little. It was sad the last game I ever coached... really loved coaching those boys.

I coached my daughter in soccer from when she was 8 until she was 14. I coached my son from 4 until 18. It is tough coaching your kids because you really need to separate them from being your kid to being just one of the kids on the team. Luckily, I got quite a bit of time to learn to do that. But that being said... nothing feels better than watching your son (played right middy for me for most of his career) line up to take a free kick from 40 yards out, have him look at you and telling him... "put it on goal"... watching him line up and proceed to kick the ball 40 or so yards and have it go right over the goalie's fingers, brush the bottom of the crossbar and into the goal. Then having your son point at you with a huge smile before getting dog-piled by his teammates. But while kids came and went... many of the kids I coached I had from when they were little. It was sad the last game I ever coached... really loved coaching those boys.
    I can imagine how proud your son and daughter made you feel. I get that feeling watching my boys play sports.

I'm in my third year coaching my 4th graders basketball team. Despite an almost complete lack of talent besides my son and one other boy, I'm starting to really like it.

I remind them about effort and playing hard to give yourself a chance to win, and with very few exceptions all of them give me total effort in games. Last night we played in the playoffs. We were the bottom seed, playing the top seed. They played so hard! No fewer than 5 (out of a roster of 8) kids limped off the floor crying with a banged knee or a floorburn. All of them wanted to go back in and play and did . We outshot and outrebounded the other team, unfortunately that lack of talent thing reared its head in a terrible shooting percentage and they other team beat us handily. The other teams coaches complimented our effort and told me "you guys run great sets". I told the boys how proud I was of them and meant it.

We have at least 3 more games to go as we're playing in a Catholic basketball tournament in Pocatello in two weeks. It will be a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this. My oldest is only 7 so we haven't really gotten to do real teams yet, just learn to play type programs. We did a "try hockey for a day" thing last year and that was amusing, we might put him in a Little Penguins program if I can teach him to be a stronger skater... although I don't know that I'm gung ho about the hockey equipment stink. He's scrawny but seems to "get" the spacing in team sports so hopefully that helps him in whatever he plays.
    You're really going to love it. Hockey is like swimming, though, a big commitment. We have a family we are friends with that are a hockey family. We hardly ever see them, though, because they are constantly on the go because of hockey.

You're really going to love it. Hockey is like swimming, though, a big commitment. We have a family we are friends with that are a hockey family. We hardly ever see them, though, because they are constantly on the go because of hockey.
    Oh I know! We don't have any indoor rinks in our school district, we don't have any outdoor either now that I think about it. So we'd have to drive for that. I thought about signing him up this year but didn't want to drag baby brother along to the cold rink. The Little Penguins is a really good program though, it's not too expensive and equipment is all covered in the cost (I'm sure it would cost more to buy equipment than to do it through that program), so if he wants to try it, I'd rather start there and move on if it's something he's actually passionate about. I would much prefer basketball (obviously) but there aren't any community teams and school doesn't start teams until 7th grade (one of the many reasons I miss our Catholic school).

My hometown team is going to state in boys basketball for the first time since 1985!!!! Three at the buzzer in OT!

My hometown team is going to state in boys basketball for the first time since 1985!!!! Three at the buzzer in OT!
    The Might Poplar Indians of Poplar, Montana, just overcame a 17 point deficit going into the 4th quarter and prevailed in overtime to advance to the State Championship Semifinals!! Go Indians!!!!

The Might Poplar Indians of Poplar, Montana, just overcame a 17 point deficit going into the 4th quarter and prevailed in overtime to advance to the State Championship Semifinals!! Go Indians!!!!
    Awesome!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Just did my taxes last night. I owe an additional $5,100! F
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Sounds like us

Sounds like us
    Luckily I had money saved up, but that was intended to be used to remodel my bathroom. Oh well, guess we are going to have to wait another year. My withholdings got messed up. I updated them so that our take home is $500 less a month. I might end up selling my ncaa tickets. I'm a little depressed, but it could be much worse. Imagine if I didn't have the money.
    Bring back the OCC

Luckily I had money saved up, but that was intended to be used to remodel my bathroom. Oh well, guess we are going to have to wait another year. My withholdings got messed up. I updated them so that our take home is $500 less a month. I might end up selling my ncaa tickets. I'm a little depressed, but it could be much worse. Imagine if I didn't have the money.
    Bummer. Sorry to hear it. That said, I think the IRS has some easy payment plans that you might be able to take advantage of so you don't have to give up on all your plans for this year (like the NCAA tournament!).

Filing jointly for the first time this year and.....ouch. Not quite that level, but still owing $1-2k is no fun.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

In other news, I'm bored.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

I don't even want to think about taxes.

So, had to do this emergency report that has to get to the federal government by next Friday... someone dropped the ball and it ended up in my lap. Fairly easy work... had data put together and uploaded to the website by 10:30 AM. But of course people want to review the data before I formally submit it. Figure... hey... that should be easy. Just print them out. Ummm ... nope... in their infinite wisdom, they snuck a bit of code that basically made it print blank pages when go to print. Why, you ask? I have no @#*!*ing clue. But, being in IT... asked one of our web developers to help me find a way around this. Basically, I had to bring up a console window in Chrome, go to one particular file, delete the one line in it, save it, go back to the webpage.. print it... go to the next page and repeat the process. Mind you, even though you "save" it... it is a temporary version of it that goes when you leave the page. So every damn iteration of the webpage required this step. Best part about it... in the end... it was essentially 175 times I had to do this. THEN I got to clean up the PDF to remove the iterations that didn't make sense. Finished all this garbage and sent the files out at 4:50 PM. I was basically a mindless drone. ALL DAY!

<\rant>