Page 261 of 261 FirstFirst ... 161211251257258259260261
Results 6,501 to 6,515 of 6515

Thread: If you think it, post it

  1. #6501
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I think we've seen the last of the NFL exhibition games. They can step on the field and play.

    Bet the owners trade 2 of the 4 pre-season games for two more regular season games (to the players union) - maybe expand the roster in the first 2-3 weeks, then make final cuts.
    The draft will likely be cut down then, With fewer opportunities to evaluate draftees, no point in taking too many.
    It's not funny.

  2. #6502
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,735

    Default

    Have to drive down to Knoxville, TN tomorrow to help my daughter move into another dorm. They are converting her current dorm into a COVID hotel to house infected students. They ran out of isolation housing there in less than a month.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  3. #6503
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Have to drive down to Knoxville, TN tomorrow to help my daughter move into another dorm. They are converting her current dorm into a COVID hotel to house infected students. They ran out of isolation housing there in less than a month.
    Ouch.

    Good luck. College students have no "good" answers, only "less bad" - which is true of all students, but college is such a unique age.


    Another topic:

    Who knew that if you switch one letter, from GEG (Spokane) to GIG, you get Rio De Janero? And that makes a lot of sense because Rio is said to be a lot like a tropical and new Paris (except the slums) and, as we all know, Spokane is a lot like Paris.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  4. #6504
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    So far online schooling is a mixed bag. I like that they can work at their own pace, but I honestly feel like there's too much work for some things. 1st grader can plow through a week of math and ELA lessons in 2 days so we're far ahead in that, but social studies and science are big lessons with a lot to write and draw (for a 6yo and considering in school they don't even start science until the second half of the year, and only work social studies into other writing lessons (ex. MLK day or Presidents Day).
    4th grade science and social studies also eat up a ton of time. The science videos are like watching a VHS tape on an iPad complete with garbled sound, you can't hear the voiceover over the background music. The social studies is... interesting. It feels like they've loaded a full year into 6 months, they're expected to do a lesson/time period each week. The lesson choices are bizarre. It includes Texas and California history as two separate units...but leaves out...wait for it....the American Revolution?! Everything else is in chronological order but they leave out a huge thing like that?

    I wish we had gone with the virtual option with the real teachers and worried about the next step if the district went back to the buildings.

    I hope the college move out-move in goes well and she stays healthy Kitz!

  5. #6505
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,458

    Default

    I hate smoke
    Bring back the OCC

  6. #6506
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Safe travels, 03.
    I had a good time in Reno. We stayed at Davis Creek Campground. It was a nice campground and I was happy to be among many trees. It was great to finally meet my nephew.

    Bring back the OCC

  7. #6507
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,463

    Default

    Awesome picture. Really nice. Save that one.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  8. #6508
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Awesome picture. Really nice. Save that one.
    Thanks, definitely will
    Bring back the OCC

  9. #6509
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,458

    Default

    It rained last night and we are still at 232 Air Quality Index. I hope the rain helped contain more of the fire burning a few miles east of me.
    Bring back the OCC

  10. #6510
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    It rained last night and we are still at 232 Air Quality Index. I hope the rain helped contain more of the fire burning a few miles east of me.
    I can't even imagine being so close what the air must be like. I hope everyone on the GUboards is okay and escapes without property damage.
    Cute picture of your nephew! That's a fun age, you get a good idea of their personalities but they're still too tiny to run amok

  11. #6511
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    So far online schooling is a mixed bag. I like that they can work at their own pace, but I honestly feel like there's too much work for some things. 1st grader can plow through a week of math and ELA lessons in 2 days so we're far ahead in that, but social studies and science are big lessons with a lot to write and draw (for a 6yo and considering in school they don't even start science until the second half of the year, and only work social studies into other writing lessons (ex. MLK day or Presidents Day).
    4th grade science and social studies also eat up a ton of time. The science videos are like watching a VHS tape on an iPad complete with garbled sound, you can't hear the voiceover over the background music. The social studies is... interesting. It feels like they've loaded a full year into 6 months, they're expected to do a lesson/time period each week. The lesson choices are bizarre. It includes Texas and California history as two separate units...but leaves out...wait for it....the American Revolution?! Everything else is in chronological order but they leave out a huge thing like that?

    I wish we had gone with the virtual option with the real teachers and worried about the next step if the district went back to the buildings.

    I hope the college move out-move in goes well and she stays healthy Kitz!
    Thanks! It did go pretty well. I was primarily cleaning crew, morale support and decent food provider.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  12. #6512
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,463

    Default

    We got shocking word.

    My daughter's school is going full time Monday, this despite the fact that they made it all of two days on hybrid. Why it changed feels political though I'm not introducing politics here, I am talking the issues we now face.

    I talked to her principal whom I respect tremendously and I very respectfully said that I know this was not her decision to make but I disagreed with it. I said she has no good answers, only less bad ones. We wanted to really see how the hybrid half-time went for 2-3 months, not 2-3 weeks (unsuccessful at that).

    I asked if my daughter could still do hybrid given that we have a vulnerable adult at home, invalid, tons of health probs. Additionally, my daughter has high anxiety in normal times and worries about COVID and its impact on me (50 y/o not immune to bad things), and even herself a bit.

    Principal could not allow keeping her on hybrid. Our choices: Home school, virtual learning 100%, school full time.

    Home schooling is a non-issue. There is a reason teachers have graduate degrees and are smart. They know what they're doing. We don't pretend to.

    My daughter is highly anxious about virtual learning and I'm not positive as to why. She isn't really talkative about it and I'm trying to respect that she has her reasons while trying to soothe it away. We do worry she'll get behind. But right now virtual would be our favorite.

    But she says she prefers simply going. BUT, she is also premising that on "They will screw it up soon enough" - which is probably right, but not bankable. She's precocious. What we are doing is going to her doctor this afternoon, describing the dynamic including her anxiety and getting an almost blanket doctor authorization to take leave day to day as needed. Kind of a modified hybrid that certainly not every other day. More like "as needed" and more frequent than per usual.

    Any thoughts anyone has would be very much appreciated. I don't know that I'm correct on this and there is no "wrong" idea that doesn't deserve some consideration. I don't mean to be needy but I'm questioning whether I am seeing this correctly. Biggest factor obviously is what's best for her and not falling behind.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  13. #6513
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    7,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    We got shocking word.

    My daughter's school is going full time Monday, this despite the fact that they made it all of two days on hybrid. Why it changed feels political though I'm not introducing politics here, I am talking the issues we now face.

    I talked to her principal whom I respect tremendously and I very respectfully said that I know this was not her decision to make but I disagreed with it. I said she has no good answers, only less bad ones. We wanted to really see how the hybrid half-time went for 2-3 months, not 2-3 weeks (unsuccessful at that).

    I asked if my daughter could still do hybrid given that we have a vulnerable adult at home, invalid, tons of health probs. Additionally, my daughter has high anxiety in normal times and worries about COVID and its impact on me (50 y/o not immune to bad things), and even herself a bit.

    Principal could not allow keeping her on hybrid. Our choices: Home school, virtual learning 100%, school full time.

    Home schooling is a non-issue. There is a reason teachers have graduate degrees and are smart. They know what they're doing. We don't pretend to.

    My daughter is highly anxious about virtual learning and I'm not positive as to why. She isn't really talkative about it and I'm trying to respect that she has her reasons while trying to soothe it away. We do worry she'll get behind. But right now virtual would be our favorite.

    But she says she prefers simply going. BUT, she is also premising that on "They will screw it up soon enough" - which is probably right, but not bankable. She's precocious. What we are doing is going to her doctor this afternoon, describing the dynamic including her anxiety and getting an almost blanket doctor authorization to take leave day to day as needed. Kind of a modified hybrid that certainly not every other day. More like "as needed" and more frequent than per usual.

    Any thoughts anyone has would be very much appreciated. I don't know that I'm correct on this and there is no "wrong" idea that doesn't deserve some consideration. I don't mean to be needy but I'm questioning whether I am seeing this correctly. Biggest factor obviously is what's best for her and not falling behind.
    DZ -

    We all share your concerns about school reopening challenges. This will be a very anxious year for students and families all over.

    I do not envy anyone who has responsibilities related to school reopening plans in this country. Every decision that a school board or administration makes is subject to scrutiny from hundreds, if not thousands, of passionate constituents with competing needs and views on how to do this. Everyone wants students to have a safe, quality education, but there is little consensus regarding how much risk we should accept to improve the educational experience. Every action that improves community health and safety will reduce some level of normalcy for students. Some students adapt well to alternative learning modalities; other students can’t. Some students need face to face peer interaction to learn; others don’t. Some students need hands-on education in shops and labs more than others. Some students thrive on extracurricular activities that cannot be performed without a team. Some families need to put their kids in school, because they have no other access to childcare. Some kids simply don’t have the family support necessary to succeed with distance learning. Other families have heightened concerns regarding potential exposure due to family health needs. These are hard questions with no perfect answers.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

  14. #6514
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,306

    Default

    Maybe they can bring back 1 man football...virtually.
    It's not funny.

  15. #6515
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    We got shocking word.

    My daughter's school is going full time Monday, this despite the fact that they made it all of two days on hybrid. Why it changed feels political though I'm not introducing politics here, I am talking the issues we now face.

    I talked to her principal whom I respect tremendously and I very respectfully said that I know this was not her decision to make but I disagreed with it. I said she has no good answers, only less bad ones. We wanted to really see how the hybrid half-time went for 2-3 months, not 2-3 weeks (unsuccessful at that).

    I asked if my daughter could still do hybrid given that we have a vulnerable adult at home, invalid, tons of health probs. Additionally, my daughter has high anxiety in normal times and worries about COVID and its impact on me (50 y/o not immune to bad things), and even herself a bit.

    Principal could not allow keeping her on hybrid. Our choices: Home school, virtual learning 100%, school full time.

    Home schooling is a non-issue. There is a reason teachers have graduate degrees and are smart. They know what they're doing. We don't pretend to.

    My daughter is highly anxious about virtual learning and I'm not positive as to why. She isn't really talkative about it and I'm trying to respect that she has her reasons while trying to soothe it away. We do worry she'll get behind. But right now virtual would be our favorite.

    But she says she prefers simply going. BUT, she is also premising that on "They will screw it up soon enough" - which is probably right, but not bankable. She's precocious. What we are doing is going to her doctor this afternoon, describing the dynamic including her anxiety and getting an almost blanket doctor authorization to take leave day to day as needed. Kind of a modified hybrid that certainly not every other day. More like "as needed" and more frequent than per usual.

    Any thoughts anyone has would be very much appreciated. I don't know that I'm correct on this and there is no "wrong" idea that doesn't deserve some consideration. I don't mean to be needy but I'm questioning whether I am seeing this correctly. Biggest factor obviously is what's best for her and not falling behind.
    I think giving her the ability to take mental health days is a great idea. Not just for this pandemic but when we're on the other side of it and life is normal again. I really hope that one good thing that can come out of this is giving kids the ability to "be" in class without actually being there. Whether they have a long term illness, need a mental break from their peers, or just missed the bus, it's silly to think we can't give them the ability to attend in the 21st century (especially when school's put so much weight in attendance).
    Ours voted to go back hybrid. It also feels political. The board members who voted against it raised some great points about even the youngest kids being expected to carry all of their books back and forth between home and school. And it was good to hear them acknowledge that the online school we're doing through the district is highly problematic so it's not going to be as easy of a transition from virtual to online as many would have had parents believe who still want to stay home. I'm honestly still considering homeschooling in the spring. Not because I think I know enough, but because I genuinely think this program has packed an entire year of school into one semester. I'd rather we live in a hell of our own creation without deadlines than this deadline driven hell lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •