Page 245 of 249 FirstFirst ... 145195235241242243244245246247248249 LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,125 of 6218

Thread: If you think it, post it

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Are they like so much of high tech industry nowadays where they're basically a monopoly now?

Is there competitive stuff that does what you need professionally, but maybe better service?

So much of modern American business is based on monopoly now, Walmart, Amazon, Windows, Google, FB, Xfinity, Boeing or they are based on price collusion, airlines, banking, that it is just sickening.

That transcends party in power. Doesn't matter anymore.

There actually still is a department at DOJ that is the anti-trust division, they just no longer do anything. When MSFT escaped being broken up, it told the nation "everything goes now" bc if you couldn't break up that company, what could one break now?

And there's no modern day TDR in our future, not with Citizen's United. Warren would likely bust a lot up or at least enforce rules, which is precisely why she will never be elected.

That is not a political statement, again, that transcends all parties now.

Put me in charge for a day as benevolent king and I break Google, FB, MSFT, etc. into a thousand little pieces.

Irony is that it would make the stockholders MORE money as they'd get pieces of each and competition increases value.

But, CEOs and Board's want power over money nowadays, and stability. That doesn't happen if broken all up.
    Major competitors... they have a few. The beauty of the tech industry is that you can easily fall from the top. Look at WordPerfect. That was as close to a monopoly as you could find. Now they don’t exist. Look, Oracle is a great product and in the end it probably is the best database system out there. But by the same token they can drive you up the walls
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Major competitors... they have a few. The beauty of the tech industry is that you can easily fall from the top. Look at WordPerfect. That was as close to a monopoly as you could find. Now they don’t exist. Look, Oracle is a great product and in the end it probably is the best database system out there. But by the same token they can drive you up the walls
    Yeah, and that's true of XFinity, too, fantastic product. But, XFinity has no competitors. Dish and that stuff is satellite, not at all the same for people in cities, and thus not true competition. So they can REALLY drive you crazy with service and price. At least me, obviously.

Weirdly, we've had far less service issues with Dish (which would seem more complicated) than XFinity. Dish's only problem is the physics makes it impossible to keep service in a hard hard rain. Which we get here.

Yep, the airports and military have satellite communication without rain issues, but they get to spend a little more money on the reception end, and have ones bigger than a building.

I hate XFinity, is that coming across?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

xfinity just came north to Deer Park. It looks like they promise a lot and promise a lower price, but when all the figures are tallied up, it isn't any cheaper.

We are currently with DirectTV and are thinking of switching back to Dish...get the newer DVR etc., but they don't list ROOT as one of the channels in any of their packages. I guess I need to call. I'm looking to bundle internet with TV and either go to just a landline or get rid of that. I really don't like CenturyLink. Probably as much as you don't like Xfinity.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    xfinity just came north to Deer Park. It looks like they promise a lot and promise a lower price, but when all the figures are tallied up, it isn't any cheaper.

We are currently with DirectTV and are thinking of switching back to Dish...get the newer DVR etc., but they don't list ROOT as one of the channels in any of their packages. I guess I need to call. I'm looking to bundle internet with TV and either go to just a landline or get rid of that. I really don't like CenturyLink. Probably as much as you don't like Xfinity.
    I made a major mistake.

We actually have direct tv. I didn't know, I just give granny a signed check and she fills it out.

They HAD Dish, but then switched over, and the main "Dish" is still sitting out on the roof where it's obvious, and I just read "Dish" a million times and figured that's what it is.

So, everything I said about Dish, it's Direct.

We got Root but it was called FoxNW or something stupid like that, and then when flipped over it would say "Root" on the screen but still be Fox NW.

It was not expensive to get the college package, and it's great coverage.

The one that now bugs me is Hughes internet that is the only internet we can get right now. They also just jack up prices indiscriminately and have "No data limits" which is totally misleading bc you go over (and we go over every month, I have an 11 year old and I listen to YouTube going to bed.), anyway you go over and they charge, and not a little, $10-15, then another $10, and so it's suddenly $30 over what you were quoted as "No Limit internet" and you want to choke the company headquarter.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Hello
    "Bringing you more of little since 2007"

Tomorrow is the last day of school, a half day. That means for the next 21 hours I will be trying to get the house organized just so that the boys can disorganize it over the next 3 months :P
    I've got chore charts to hang, freezer space to clear for easily accessible ice cream treats, and the eleventy million papers that get sent home at the end of the year to go through. I've finally felt confident enough in the weather to put away all the winter coats/accessories, so now I'll need to pull out the sun hats and sunscreen. When the torrential downpour stops I need to run out to the car to figure out what all "on the go" things (memberships, park toys etc) are already in there and what needs to make its way out there.

I bought 6 yards of 3-4 inch river rock for my garden area that's between by driveway and the road. Holy crap! That stuff is hard to move. I have yet to come up with a good way to move it and I probably still have 3-4 more yards of it to move. I have been using a metal dust pan to kind of get underneath some rocks and then putting them in my wheel barrow. 5 or 6 scoops and that is just about as much weight as the wheel barrow can handle. My back is very sore today.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    Tomorrow is the last day of school, a half day. That means for the next 21 hours I will be trying to get the house organized just so that the boys can disorganize it over the next 3 months :P
    I've got chore charts to hang, freezer space to clear for easily accessible ice cream treats, and the eleventy million papers that get sent home at the end of the year to go through. I've finally felt confident enough in the weather to put away all the winter coats/accessories, so now I'll need to pull out the sun hats and sunscreen. When the torrential downpour stops I need to run out to the car to figure out what all "on the go" things (memberships, park toys etc) are already in there and what needs to make its way out there.
    My daughter still has 2 weeks left, but she might as well be done with school right now. They are building a new building and demolishing her's. They couldn't wait two weeks to demolish her school so they removed all of the furniture last week and she brought home all of her stuff in a huge bag. They were told to bring their own chair to school. Last week they had an all day party on Thursday and spent the day on Friday cleaning and making tiedie tshirts. It doesn't look like there will be any learning taking place in June. I am a little frustrated to say the least.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    My daughter still has 2 weeks left, but she might as well be done with school right now. They are building a new building and demolishing her's. They couldn't wait two weeks to demolish her school so they removed all of the furniture last week and she brought home all of her stuff in a huge bag. They were told to bring their own chair to school. Last week they had an all day party on Thursday and spent the day on Friday cleaning and making tiedie tshirts. It doesn't look like there will be any learning taking place in June. I am a little frustrated to say the least.
    That's just ridiculous! BYOC?! I always hate the first week and last week because it's just clerical things, cleaning and punching the clock. I'm pretty sure my 7yo learned more in the week that he's been home on our outings than the last month of school.
    Our suburb just opened its own little community center. We did a program there today on France. It was cute, they have rows of old airplane seats and they made a little plane (complete with windows/shades) a few rows deep and the kids got to go on a "flight" and watch a video about the country, they even got passports. They're doing different countries all week and different themes each week, I think we're going to be there often this summer (there's a bakery next door and an ice cream shop across the street to literally sweeten the deal).
    They have a "library" there too so I'm slowly weeding through books we no longer want and we're donating them there little by little.

That's just ridiculous! BYOC?! I always hate the first week and last week because it's just clerical things, cleaning and punching the clock. I'm pretty sure my 7yo learned more in the week that he's been home on our outings than the last month of school.
    Our suburb just opened its own little community center. We did a program there today on France. It was cute, they have rows of old airplane seats and they made a little plane (complete with windows/shades) a few rows deep and the kids got to go on a "flight" and watch a video about the country, they even got passports. They're doing different countries all week and different themes each week, I think we're going to be there often this summer (there's a bakery next door and an ice cream shop across the street to literally sweeten the deal).
    They have a "library" there too so I'm slowly weeding through books we no longer want and we're donating them there little by little.
    Wow, that sounds awesome! I am jealous.
    Bring back the OCC

I wish I could do more with my kids during their summer breaks. This will be the first summer when we essentially leave them home unsupervised all day. They’re too old for most of the local summer youth activities and too young to take a summer job. My hyper-organized wife will publish a program of activities for them to do each day, but they’ll probably ignore the curriculum and spend way too much time playing video games.

I am taking ten days off to fly home to Montana in July. We’ll spend a few days hiking Glacier and the Bitterroot Valley and a day or two at Flathead Lake.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

I know it wasn't the entire set of fans, but those Toronto fans that cheered KD's injury really should assess their lives. SMDH... There are players I have hated, especially in the NFL, but I would never wish injury on them and I certainly wouldn't cheer.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Well, we almost had a wonderful day having a Family horseback ride through the mountains of Wyoming yesterday, but then things took a turn for the worse on the way back. Rachel’s horse got skittish when it fell behind in line and decided to try and catch up. When Rachel tried to slow him down he bucked her off. Luckily it was a relatively soft part of the trail but she still had a big fall on her back and her head snapped back and she hit the back of her head hard on the ground. We were all scared of what had happened. Fortunately she didn’t seem physically injured, just really woozy and confused. She rested for 20 minutes or so and then we decided that she would walk down the trail for a little while. We started to realize that she probably hurt her head when she started repeating the same questions about what had happened over and over again every 2 minutes. Eventually we got her up on another much more gentle horse and I walked the horse the rest of the way to the truck. We immediately and eventually got Rachel to the ER in Afton. She was diagnosed with a severe concussion and we spent last night in the hospital. She is doing much better this morning and we were just told she would be discharged today. The doctor ordered at least 2 weeks of complete rest. We are thankful that she can look forward to a complete recovery. Rachel is thankful that it wasn’t one of the boys that was injured. I’m thankful that God answered many of my prayers yesterday and last night and for my friends Michael and Jenifer for their comforting words and medical advice.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Well, we almost had a wonderful day having a Family horseback ride through the mountains of Wyoming yesterday, but then things took a turn for the worse on the way back. Rachel’s horse got skittish when it fell behind in line and decided to try and catch up. When Rachel tried to slow him down he bucked her off. Luckily it was a relatively soft part of the trail but she still had a big fall on her back and her head snapped back and she hit the back of her head hard on the ground. We were all scared of what had happened. Fortunately she didn’t seem physically injured, just really woozy and confused. She rested for 20 minutes or so and then we decided that she would walk down the trail for a little while. We started to realize that she probably hurt her head when she started repeating the same questions about what had happened over and over again every 2 minutes. Eventually we got her up on another much more gentle horse and I walked the horse the rest of the way to the truck. We immediately and eventually got Rachel to the ER in Afton. She was diagnosed with a severe concussion and we spent last night in the hospital. She is doing much better this morning and we were just told she would be discharged today. The doctor ordered at least 2 weeks of complete rest. We are thankful that she can look forward to a complete recovery. Rachel is thankful that it wasn’t one of the boys that was injured. I’m thankful that God answered many of my prayers yesterday and last night and for my friends Michael and Jenifer for their comforting words and medical advice.
    Scary... so glad she is on the mend. Prayers going out to you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Scary... so glad she is on the mend. Prayers going out to you and your family.
    Thanks LIZF. That means a lot to me.

Wow, that's terrifying. I hope she is fully recovered after these two weeks of rest.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Wow, that's terrifying. I hope she is fully recovered after these two weeks of rest.
    Rest will be the hardest part. I’m considering hiding her laptop and running shoes from her. I already notified the owner of the gym she goes to in hopes they’ll send her home if she shows up.

She can barely raise her head right now without feeling some dizziness and nausea, but she has already gone through work emails and texts and took a work call.

Thanks for the kind words!

IF the video takes them overseas, then they're automatically more traveled than me. Now, I DO watch approaches to airports I will NEVER see, but I know I'll never see them, whereas a little kid … well, believes it then that they're going somewhere cool. AND they may well be big time folks who travel the world growing up. I am still growing up.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    IF the video takes them overseas, then they're automatically more traveled than me. Now, I DO watch approaches to airports I will NEVER see, but I know I'll never see them, whereas a little kid … well, believes it then that they're going somewhere cool. AND they may well be big time folks who travel the world growing up. I am still growing up.
    I haven't flown overseas at all, but some of my favorite places in America that I have landed/taken off are Reagan, Fort Lauderdale, and Seattle.

Reagan - flying low over the Potomac with DC out the window is awesome
    Fort Lauderdale - This was a long time ago, but I remember taking off from Fort Lauderdale and it felt/looked like your were taking off from the Ocean.
    Seattle - I love flying into and out of Seattle. I now try to get window seats on the left side of the plane whether I am taking off from or coming into Seattle. Lately, I have had great luck with weather and we seem to fly close enough to Rainier that I could reach out and touch a climber. After passing Rainier, many times we will fly around Lake Washington first over Bellevue and then over Seattle. You get really nice views of the city and the sound before heading south to the airport to land.
    Bring back the OCC

At what age should you not be eating pizza rolls? My wife and daughter went to dinner with some friends so I was on my own tonight. Not wanting to cook I went to the store and baught some pizza rolls. Brought them home and ate them. Now my wife is telling me that no one older than 24 should even consider eating pizza rolls. I think she is just being a snob.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post
    At what age should you not be eating pizza rolls? My wife and daughter went to dinner with some friends so I was on my own tonight. Not wanting to cook I went to the store and baught some pizza rolls. Brought them home and ate them. Now my wife is telling me that no one older than 24 should even consider eating pizza rolls. I think she is just being a snob.

I don’t know about pizza rolls, but I’ve been informed that grownups don’t eat Totino’s pizzas or Lucky Charms.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I don’t know about pizza rolls, but I’ve been informed that grownups don’t eat Totino’s pizzas or Lucky Charms.
    You know what's delicious? S'mores cereal. It's like golden grahams cocco puffs and marshmallows all mixed together. I hide it from the kids when I buy it because I'm not sharing...and I feel zero shame about my greed.
    I've never been a pizza rolls (or bagel bites), but I think as long as you're within the age group that can safely operate an oven, you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Wtf I love totinos. I had no idea this growing up #### is bumming me out.

You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

You know what's delicious? S'mores cereal. It's like golden grahams cocco puffs and marshmallows all mixed together. I hide it from the kids when I buy it because I'm not sharing...and I feel zero shame about my greed.
    I've never been a pizza rolls (or bagel bites), but I think as long as you're within the age group that can safely operate an oven, you're good.
    I hide cereal too usually it's a box of peanut butter captain crunch .

Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post

I love pizza rolls. They have grown up pizza rolls at Costco.

Bring back the OCC