Page 237 of 243 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237238239240241 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,925 of 6051

Thread: If you think it, post it

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    We'll walk through the Haight (Phish will be proud of me).
    Completely proud. Might as well buy a Grateful Dead sticker from the hippie shop there.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

This is absolute truth, the guy that taught our advanced trial ad class was a former fed public defender, and worked his own 3-man firm, had a house on the block of Haight/Ashbury. He had everyone over for dinner one night.

The guy was the son of the president of MIT, and had been kicked out of South Africa 2 years out of college working as an anti-apartheid activist. Good looking, too.

Killed us having to admit how much cooler he was then us.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

My friend does a lot of genealogy research and just posted a funny picture she came across while trying to get to old cemetery records. Apparently the Diocese of Pittsburgh has a 404 error on their website with a picture of St. Anthony (as well as the poem) if you reach a broken link on their website.

Seems like on average there are 85-90 people viewing the foo... yet about 10 of us consistently post.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Seems like on average there are 85-90 people viewing the foo... yet about 10 of us consistently post.
    Are we not welcoming enough?

The more the better, everyone join in.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Are we not welcoming enough?

The more the better, everyone join in.
    Or we are just that entertaining
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

best headline ever

Anybody have experience working with general contractors on home remodels? Would love some advice on how to pick one and protect ourselves from the nightmares I have heard can happen.

We got a referral from my son's soccer coach whose neighbour was raving about their contractor. He came over, seemed like a nice gentleman. He sent a bid today that was literally $40 to $60 k below what we expected.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Anybody have experience working with general contractors on home remodels? Would love some advice on how to pick one and protect ourselves from the nightmares I have heard can happen.

We got a referral from my son's soccer coach whose neighbour was raving about their contractor. He came over, seemed like a nice gentleman. He sent a bid today that was literally $40 to $60 k below what we expected.
    I have not, but am definitely interested in any response given. My wife and I are going to have someone remodel our bathrooms in the fall when we have enough money saved.
    Bring back the OCC

We asked around quite a bit. But honestly, if he is below what you expect, ask if you can talk to a few previous customers. I know we did. Sounds like your soccer coach is one of them... so it may be that he just wants the business because he is getting the referral on the job. Just know that if you are doing things like plumbing and etc. your choices on furnishings will directly impact your final number. When you talk to prior customers... ask the basics... were they punctual, did they stay on budget, did they stay on their projected timeline, etc.

We asked around quite a bit. But honestly, if he is below what you expect, ask if you can talk to a few previous customers. I know we did. Sounds like your soccer coach is one of them... so it may be that he just wants the business because he is getting the referral on the job. Just know that if you are doing things like plumbing and etc. your choices on furnishings will directly impact your final number. When you talk to prior customers... ask the basics... were they punctual, did they stay on budget, did they stay on their projected timeline, etc.
    Thanks!

Yes, I had my SF condo torn down to the stud and bare concrete floors.

Word of caution, do your homework on the contractors before you hire them.

And get a firm quote.

It can turn into a nightmare if you don't do your homework.... like, the quote they gave you... well... it went up by several thousands more.

Ask your home insurance if they have referrals.
    I got my contractor referral from AAA (my condo insurance)

I really liked my contractor until, at the end.
    I found out he used a cheaper/defective marble counter so he could save money and make more profit for him and his team.

I payed like $20 grand over the original estimate they gave me.

In the end... the process took forever ( 14 months) so I had to find another place to live while they were working.
    We stayed at our friend in Noe Valley and after two months of us and him.... well, we had to move out and were pissed at each other at the end.

If I had to do it over again.
    I would not chose that same contractor..

and they do give you a couple of choices to select from.

Make sure all changes are in writing with an actual cost. Verbal change orders can turn into large and unexpected cost overruns if you don’t clarify what the cost will be before you agree to the change.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

I’m taking an online graduate course that requires me to interact on an academic discussion forum with fellow grad students. They are smart and interesting people.

I like this forum better. I don’t have to be on my best classroom behavior over here. I can sleep in class, pass notes to the class clown, sneek off to drink beer in the teachers’ lounge, draw football plays on the desk, tell fart jokes, or listen to NWA really loud without getting the evil eye from the other board members.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

I’m on the freeway parked in a 5 mile back up because of a fatal accident investigation. I left work at 6:45. Still 20 miles from home. Life sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Just planted my backside in the surgery waiting room. My wife has a 2 kidney stones the size of cinder blocks and she’s on her way to get them removed. It’s been a helluva week in our house!

Just planted my backside in the surgery waiting room. My wife has a 2 kidney stones the size of cinder blocks and she’s on her way to get them removed. It’s been a helluva week in our house!
    I hope she feels better soon! I had tiny ones so I can't even imagine how horrible the pain must have been for her to need surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I hope she feels better soon! I had tiny ones so I can't even imagine how horrible the pain must have been for her to need surgery.
    Thanks! We're home after a 16 hour ordeal. Stones removed and my wife is no longer in agony.

Thanks! We're home after a 16 hour ordeal. Stones removed and my wife is no longer in agony.
    Whisky all around!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Happy for you and the missus, F1D!

Less agonizing, but slightly annoying, trying to sell our minivan right now... and not getting any feelers. Price seems right, but can't generate any interest. Hoping to reverse jinx ourselves here.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    Happy for you and the missus, F1D!

Less agonizing, but slightly annoying, trying to sell our minivan right now... and not getting any feelers. Price seems right, but can't generate any interest. Hoping to reverse jinx ourselves here.
    Thanks!

Good luck with the minivan!

Forget global warming, I think hell will freeze over in 2020.

Question to ponder. If an interstate highway starts and stops within the same state... it is truly an interstate?

I was at a red light this afternoon and Josh Perkins crossed the crosswalk in front of me. I waved furiously and he casually waved back. I then realized how silly this might have seemed to him, and hoped that he gets this kind of reaction enough in Spokane that it was no biggie. I'll roll down the window and yell "Go Zags!" next time.

Question to ponder. If an interstate highway starts and stops within the same state... it is truly an interstate?
    Intrastate?