Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WHo here understands basketball from a players viewpoint

My perspective is mostly that of a very enthusiastic fan who loves the game and loves Gonzaga.

I was a marginal h.s. basketball player and played mostly as a defensive substitute when my team's better post players got into foul trouble. I played some intramural ball as an undergrad and later in grad school. My favorite memory of "playing" Gonzaga hoops was when Felix McGowan's intramural team played mine. (His was the law school team after he had graduated). McGowan basically played a game of H-O-R-S-E while we pretended to defend him - calling ever more exotic and ridiculous shots and daring us to block them. I don't think he ever missed.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

*raises hand*
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
    I think it important to have experience to draw on when commenting on a topic.
    Using that logic, then:

1. If you haven't been a cop, you can't comment on law enforcement.
    2. If you haven't been in the military, you can't comment on troop deployments.
    3. If you don't have a law degree, you can't comment on Supreme Court decisions (or other legal matters).
    4. If you aren't a CPA or tax attorney, you can't comment on the US tax code.
    5. If you've never played organized basketball,

THEN STAY THE HELL OFF THE GU HOOPS BLOG, DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Using that logic, then:

1. If you haven't been a cop, you can't comment on law enforcement.
    2. If you haven't been in the military, you can't comment on troop deployments.
    3. If you don't have a law degree, you can't comment on Supreme Court decisions (or other legal matters).
    4. If you aren't a CPA or tax attorney, you can't comment on the US tax code.
    5. If you've never played organized basketball,

THEN STAY THE HELL OFF THE GU HOOPS BLOG, DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You mean I cannot comment on anything except being a computer geek?

+1

Good post TZF.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

I guess I can only comment on topics deemed "PMTA"
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

I was cut from 7th grade basketball tryouts, that's my extent of organized basketball...well, other than several years of unsucessful hoopfest and puget sound basketball league teams.

I have an awful shot and barely 5'8" but I am Zag Material

Baseball and soccer were my better sports, but hoops was my passion. Played pickup games at lunch and after school from freshman year in highschool through Gonzaga (noon and 3 PM at Martin center) and about 10 years post college in pick up games in Seattle. I've had the pleasure of playing with/against many GU players, with Mr. John Stockton being the most memorable.
    Go Zags!!!

I understand it all, it is right here in this book

I think its important to speak out on all subjects, you don't need knowledge or facts, we live in an opinion based world and I have maxed that to the extreme.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

I'm very proud to say that I played Div 1 basketball at Gonzaga University, and started 3 years. I have always appreciated my time at Gonzaga, as many of you have. My experience there in basketball I hope adds a little bit to this board.

I guess for those of us NOT in know, the next thread should be "Who is Reborn?"
    His posts have always been very B-Ball savy. Now I know why. But who is Reborn? Is the mask down a bit or am I just sooooooooooo slow I don't know. I read stuff like "I got cut from JV." to "I was a three year starter at GU." Sorry, Inquiring minds want to know.

Played high school basketball, but baseball is what helped pay for college.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
    I think its important to speak out on all subjects, you don't need knowledge or facts, we live in an opinion based world and I have maxed that to the extreme.

There's a huge difference between an opinion and an informed opinion. There was once a time if you weren't informed about what you had to say, few people would listen to you. Those days are obviously gone. Today, the less informed you are, and the crazier your notions are, the more people listen to you, especially if you're republican. It is interesting because I listen to a lot to political news casts and sports are always sited as one source where people are not listened to unless they have facts.....as it should be, imo.
    Last edited by Reborn; 05-17-2011 at 06:48 AM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snebzag View Post
    I read stuff like "I got cut from JV." to "I was a three year starter at GU." Sorry, Inquiring minds want to know.
    The quote "I got cut from JV." never came from me. That's the truth. In my day at GU (1966-70) Freshmen played Freshmen ball, and it may have been called JV. I was a starter and captain of the team. I was the second leading scorer behind Joe McNair who was one heck of a player in those days at GU. Joe and I both started our Sophomore years, and Joe went on to make all Big Sky as a Sophomore.

Reborn=Dick Walter , six foot guard from Yakima.

ooooooooooooo....maybe Reborn should be the one to unmask....if he wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    There's a huge difference between an opinion and an informed opinion. There was once a time if you weren't informed about what you had to see, few people would listen to you. Those days are obviously gone. Today, the less informed you are, and the crazier your notions are, the more people listen to you, especially if you're republican. It is interesting because I listen to a lot to political news casts and sports are always sited as one source where people are not listened to unless they have facts.....as it should be, imo.
    I pretty much agree that you don't have to know the facts these days. The loudest talker or the most persistent seems to win most discussions. Sevillety is fast disappearing. For the most part the GU people are well behaved compared to society in general. A big part of the problem on having an informed opinion is that most people don't realize they are uninformed. Me, I love basketball, but I know I'm uninformed and try and avoid certain things that give me away.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by kingzag View Post
    Reborn=Dick Walter , six foot guard from Yakima.
    For the satisfaction of inquiring minds (I'm glad to see their are still some around). I am unmasked. Good job kingzag!

I played at Marquette High School, an all-boys Catholic school in the A league. At that time the classifications were B, A, AA and AAA. Marquette was undefeated state champs in 1965. I guess that's where I first gained recognition at the state level. I think many people were surprised that someone from a small A school in Yakima, Washington could make it as a starter at Gonzaga.

Speaking of Yakima, there's a great pointguard playing here now from Davis High school. HIs name is David Tremble. Unfortunately for David, the pointguard position seems to be filled at this time and in the near future.

while potentially providing a unique understanding, I dont know that it necessarily provides a better one. If Im not mistaken, Sam Presti only played like 2 years of DIII ball and has been a substanially better evaluator of talent than greats like Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, or Michael Jordan.

As a general rule athletes probably know/understand more because its a significant part of their life, if not a job. Watching 100-150 bball games a year by no means makes me an expert, but I would never deny that someone couldnt obtain a top notch understanding of the game if they were really studying it.

For the satisfaction of inquiring minds (I'm glad to see their are still some around). I am unmasked. Good job kingzag!

I played at Marquette High School, an all-boys Catholic school in the A league. At that time the classifications were B, A, AA and AAA. Marquette was undefeated state champs in 1965. I guess that's where I first gained recognition at the state level. I think many people were surprised that someone from a small A school in Yakima, Washington could make it as a starter at Gonzaga.

Speaking of Yakima, there's a great pointguard playing here now from Davis High school. HIs name is David Tremble. Unfortunately for David, the pointguard position seems to be filled at this time and in the near future.
    Those are tremendous accomplishments Reborn! You should be very proud, but seem most humble. No wonder you are so passionate about the point guard position.

Thanks for the nice compliments, Juanzaga. Being proud and being humble often go together quite nicely. I was taught that at Marquette High School. I had a great coach there who taught us the meaning of both. Hank Anderson was a great coach and treated me like a son. Hank, Rich Juarez and Bud Presley all contributed to my life in a big way. Bud Presley had the most impact on my personal life.

I wasn't allowed to play basketball in school, I wrestled and did freestyle and greco. I won 2 state championships and love wrestling, but I always played summer ball to this day, I now coach 5th grade girls AAU basketball team. Some of my favorite times were every summer playing down at the courts by the lake in COEUR D'ALENE. Ronnie and the guys back then would come down and play, and yes even though I was always able to dunk a ball even being just 6 ft, one of my fondest memories was Turiaf dunking on me and knocking me to the ground, and then reaching down and saying "you all right little man" with his big smile on his face. Good times

Default re Bud Presley

Thanks for the nice compliments, Juanzaga. Being proud and being humble often go together quite nicely. I was taught that at Marquette High School. I had a great coach there who taught us the meaning of both. Hank Anderson was a great coach and treated me like a son. Hank, Rich Juarez and Bud Presley all contributed to my life in a big way. Bud Presley had the most impact on my personal life.
    He lived two doors down from us.

One of his bro's, J.J., was a coach & teacher @ G Prep for many years and a bigtime ref, too. Jim, another brother (I think Bud was the youngest -- they were a couple decades ahead of me) taught and coached in CA and never returned.

His mother taught a bunch of burly GU and Gonzaga High School (the H.S. was roughly where Welch hall is now) athletes how to sing like birds. Some of them still get together and sing to this day, at weddings and funerals, though their numbers have dwindled. They were really, really excellent and most of them played sports and sang in the GU choir for years, too.

There were dozens of Prep and GU athletes, progeny of Mike Pecarovich and Puggy Hunton, who went on to teach, coach & ref (mostly) football & basketball throughout the state, as well as in the Northwest leagues, the Pac 8 & Pac 10 sports. It wasn't unusual to see one or more GU coach or grad reffing in the rose bowl. Bud followed his brothers in to the trade and enjoyed great success. He had a lot of inspiration to guide him, too.

It wasn't uncommon to see a couple of GU coaches butt heads in competition over the years who used to play or coach or ref (or all 3) together. Particulary those in the Billy Frazier 39 year (or so) era & reign at G. Prep from the 40's through the 60's.

A famous coach at Seattle Prep, John Goodwin, played for Frazier and for years after that, there were comparisons as to which high school team was the best in the state. They went back and forth every year.

Unfortunately, in those days, teams were ranked by polls. Only later, after both Goodwin and Frazier were long gone, did the two Catholic (and Jesuit) powerhouses go at it. But even then, come game time, there was no love lost and every snap was taken personally. I doubt the combatants even knew why they hated each other. I do. And now you do, too.

But as to the Presley's, they were just wonderful people. and tough as nails when it was required. Smart as whips when it mattered. The whole block, and the whole neighborhood was that way.

We woke up to a rather high bar, starting right inside our own houses. It was four older brothers for me. And you jumped it or died trying, qualifying you to finish your cereal and begin the daily task of navigating the two blocks, and another dozen future superstars, just to make it to St. AL's school.

Or you'd head west on Boone, past a whole other dozen or so College superstars, past DeSmet hall, pass by the temptations of the old gym on the left, or Dutch's Inn, on the right, cut through the main administration building to look at all the pictures of past classes and glories, just to get to mass or Confession at St. Al's church.

It's amazing what memories the mention of Bud Presley triggered here, Reborn. Thanks for mentioning him. May he RIP, too.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Your mention of Dutch's Inn certainly triggered some wonderful memories for me. We used to eat there after the games. But my best memories were when I worked there for a season flipping burgers. I'm not sure when it was (my memory is certainly getting worse) maybe one summer that I stayed there, or Spring or Fall. lol I loved that little place. For me I think about all the students who have gone there and all the wonderful conversations there about the History of Gonzaga sports. The owners certainly had it all together in terms of GU Athletic history. I loved talking to him.

Default Dutch's, aka Blue and White Inn

Dutch and Mae Ryan were the owners. I worked there for awhile, feeding the basketball players after the games. Maybe you were one of them, but I suspect I was gone by then.

Dutch was dead by the time I went to work there. This would be about 7th or eighth grad. t So as not to blow my role up too high, I washed the dishes & mopped the floors for $1 per hour, plus a shake and cheesburger at the end of the shift. I also washed windows on weekends, took orders in rush times and occasionally rang in a sale.

Mae and her daughter, Pattie, did the cooking and serving.

But we used to go to the joint all the time as kids, on the way to the gym, usually to play. Besides all the GU pictures all over the walls, there were also pictures of all the championship St. Al's teams. Dutch would treat us all to ice cream on the day our framed team pictures were placed on the wall.

It was a big deal. Our teams won everything 6-7-8th grades, all three sports, citywide. we had a few team pix scattered about.

It was a great source of pride.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Quote Originally Posted by bigparb View Post
    HS only for me........played football in college.....could have played baseball too if not for the ridiculous time commitment that would have been required to play both.......but I digress....

Did Few play college ball?

Did that coach for New Jersey Nets --Lawrence I think?--play college ball?

I think this threads a not starter.......playing matters if u putting together a Hoopfest team or some other team, but clearly coaches at the highest levels don't need to have College or pro experience to be effective.....

I, along with most of you, have probably been able to gauge the "quality" of a coach pretty quick----I trust you do the same with the posters on this board.....

I'll continue to measure the worth of what I read but the quality of the content as posted......and will not ask for anyone's qualifications before deciding just how much weight I'll give to said opinion....kind of ridiculous if you ask me....wait you didn't....oh well, still think its ridiculous...
    Lawrence Frank never played anything above 2 years of high school ball, went to Indiana and bugged Bobby Knight every day for a year before Knight would let him be the team assistant manager. Over the next 4 years, he earned a masters and worked his way onto an unpaid assistant for Indiana. Then went up from there. This premise of this post is wrong in my opinion. I played 4 years of high school, lived with GU players while at GU, played pickup with them, coach AAU and Lawrence Frank still understands the game way more than I. I consider myself a student of the game having now coached for many years, however, you don't have to have played D1 ball to understand what elite athletes must go through mentally and physically. It is possible to immerse yourself in sport.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I have an MD and a PhD in hoops. But I did play 4 seasons in HS....and coached for 3 years. Then the world came crashing in
    No, then you shocked the medical world with some very unconventional thinking and treating heart disease has never been the same. Thank you for your contributions to science!
    "Sam (Dower's) like porn in a way...you know it when you see it....even though it's hard to quantify."--MDABE80 via gamagin