Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WHo here understands basketball from a players viewpoint

Default WHo here understands basketball from a players viewpoint

So i was just wondering how many people on this board play or have played serious basketball, IE-organized basketball (being coached and playing for a team...as for me---(and im far from being an excellent player) BUT...played high school ball...and have been playing constantly for about 14 years, and still play hoopfest every year...
    The reason i bring this up is, I feel that being a player lets you understand the game the way others cant...and wanted to know who here understands the game from a players viewpoint... not to say if you haven't played you cant understand the way basketball works.. i just wanted to know who here views it the through a players eyes...

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Or I might have just lied about that. Maybe it would be more efficient to set this up as a poll... If you are wondering who is credentialed to have an opinion, you should probably just add me to your ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by izzjess View Post
    So i was just wondering how many people on this board play or have played serious basketball, IE-organized basketball (being coached and playing for a team...as for me---(and im far from being an excellent player) BUT...played high school ball...and have been playing constantly for about 14 years, and still play hoopfest every year...
    The reason i bring this up is, I feel that being a player lets you understand the game the way others cant...and wanted to know who here understands the game from a players viewpoint... not to say if you haven't played you cant understand the way basketball works.. i just wanted to know who here views it the through a players eyes...
    Bingo. It is two different worlds. And each level is a little different.

I played JC basketball in NoCal in the early 70's, and had a cup of coffee with a NAIA school as a junior. Both levels were different. The NAIA was such a step up in every way than JC ball.

I then ended up in San Diego at San Diego State. I tried to walk on there (they had one spot open). The Aztecs were a NCAA and NIT team those two years. The step up in competition was amazing. I got cut but played many pick up games with guys that were on the team.

Different level, different mindset, different passion for competition.

I have many friends that know a lot about basketball, but what I know from actually playing and knowing how players feel from that side of the game they don't know and can't ever know.

That is not to diminish what those know about the game, who never really played past High School.

Quote Originally Posted by izzjess View Post
    It's an interesting question.
    I probably have a similar experience - came up through high school, really developed in college athletically (inter-murals, Hoopfest, rec-leagues, pick-up nearly every day) but didn't play for GU, have been playing for the last five years as much as I can.
    I think to acquire this perspective you are talking about (difficult-to-define-insight into the college game), it helps to have had success at the high school or college level AND/OR to have some experience playing with or coaching top-level D1 talent.
    Some might say basketball is basketball, at whatever level. There is some truth to that, but the athleticism and size of the players at you move up the levels (HS to D1 to pro-ranks) is very difficult to imagine unless you experience it.
    I had some very memorable experiences playing with some of the Zags. I can remember making some of my best moves when Matt Bouldin, LG or Will Foster would come down to play ball after the season (they may have been dogging it). Those guys actually shrank the court and made what I thought were universal basketball strategies worthless, it also taught me how much good competition can motivate and effect your personal performance.
    I took a charge from Josh Heytvelt once, let me tell you it was not like anything I would have imagined. I was 6'6'' 210 at the time and I'm thankful that Josh had the body control to avoid hurting me.
    I also got dunked on by Pargo once. I saw it coming....and I was about 99% sure I could stop him, but he planted, put his forearm in my chest, cocked back the right hand.....if you want to know the rest you can find plenty of examples on YouTube.
    I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you can observe basketball from the sidelines for years and never experience the mass, force and speed that this game involves. That knowledge/experience can change your opinion of strategy and give you a sense of what is and is not possible on the court (as in, I did my best to prevent JP from getting to the rim......but it didn't matter).

"Did someone say they want a player's perspective?"

What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Good post. I will be interested to see if any of the arrogant big mouths reply.

Me = high school ball ... lots of bench time with spurts of floor time. Followed by 16 years of rec league ball in various cities in WA and ID. Played against a fair number of current (then) and former small-college players. Even played a few times against Brian Kellerman, the ex-Vandal who had a brief NBA career.

Interesting thread. No playing experience beyond Class-A Oregon High School ball, but it gives me a tiny insight into the commitment needed to play. What gave me a real frame of reference change was my two years coaching at the junior high level. I learned than how difficult it was to win a game, regardless of the talent level you might have compared to the opposing team. If I felt this "stress" at the 8th-grade level, I can't imagine how much it is ratcheted up for big-time college ball!

Quote Originally Posted by SpudDawg View Post
    Good post. I will be interested to see if any of the arrogant big mouths reply.
    I had the same thought, get ready for the waters to be muddied.

I've played basketball my whole life, including all 4-years of high school and AAU. It's important to note that I have a few intramural championships here at GU and am "shooting" for more next year. I agree with the point you are trying to make. In general, I trust people who have played a lot more than people who haven't.

so what position did, or are you playing....each position will have a different perspective..(I play point guard) being that im only 5/8...

Bench warmer in high school for two years. Lots of Rec/church league ball. Lots of pick up games. Brian Kellerman was the best player I have played against (in a pickup game). All long ago.

Football was the sport of choice for me. I played and/or coached for 11 years until my line of work wouldn't allow for the extra time. At one time, I considered myself a real student of the game. Regardless, organized team sports have many common aspects.

One of my best friends has a daughter that went through the recruiting process. She played elite AAU hoops (Spokane Stars), received interest from almost every school in the WCC, Big Sky, a few PAC 10, a few MWC, and Tennesee of all places. She ended up taking a scholarship to play volleyball at Idaho. She made first team all WAC as a true freshman. That was my introduction to seeing first hand how recruiting in the modern era works.

So I guess I'm not overly qualified to be anything more than a fan. I once told a certified electrician that I know just enough about wiring to be dangerous (I honestly know more though ). Put me in the "arrogant big mouth" category if you like but let me quote Richard Pryor: "You don't get to be old being no fool. There are a lot of young smart men that are deader than a Mother%^&#$%"

What I do is read.....a lot. I also try to combine past experiences with common sense. I believe in Scientific Method. In other words, I trust observation to prove theory more than just trusting theory itself. With respect to hoops (especially GU hoops) I observe a great deal.

Finally, I don't buy into the "you must have proper credentials" or otherwise you are an unqualified "big mouth" theme. Who sets this "credential" criteria? Everyone is entitled to an opinion here. If more often than not, you are part of the consensus, then your line of thinking can't be too far off from being realistic.

It is wrong to diminsh the "qualifications" of those that post here. Building a fan base is good. Chasing away fans is bad. Just read what people are saying and form your own conclusions. If you feel compelled to do so, "call out" those that you think are dead wrong.
    I miss Mike Hart

Mick: to be fair to the OP, the credential wording was mine, so sorry if I got you riled up. I wasn't sure what the original slant of the thread was supposed to be, and I'm still trying to figure that out.

I think people bring different things to the board here- some are on campus and around the players, some have connections with the staff, others played high level ball, others are students of the game, and others have been humbled enough times in pickup by college players to know the jump in ability and competitive level, for example. But I'm pretty sure all of us love GU basketball (although at times it is hard to tell with a couple people). Different perspectives are good. If this thread is a celebration of past basketball history, anecdotes, nostalgia, etc- that's great. I just want to make the point before things got carried away that one doesn't have to have played big-time ball to "get" basketball and have valid opinions- just ask either of the Van Gundy NBA coaches.

CIS in Canada and 2 years D1. HMD.

MickMick, I don't consider you to be an arrogant big mouth. Even if I did, it would just be my opinion and who am I, right?

Anyone can have a blog or post on a blog. Take me, for example. I'm no expert, but I'm a longtime fan and at least I played the game some. So I have a little bit of a clue.

There have been a lot of arrogant, disrespectful comments on this board lately. I suspect some of them are coming from people who think they know the game because they've watched it a lot and consider that to be a substitute for playing the game.

The arrogance and rudeness are unnecessary, but seemingly reflective of society these days and of people feeling like the anonymity of the Internet makes them bulletproof.

Kiddwell has played Crazy 8's and Go Fish--do those count?

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I won a division 3 National Championship-Played 2 guard at Williams College-Played in Rucker's tourney five years in a row and have scrimmaged with plenty of NBA players at Reebok Sports Club on upper west side NYC-

Here's a different perspective. I ran cross country at Gonzaga, and was a top runner, even getting all-conference honorable mention honors. However, at Gonzaga, at least when I attended, they did not offer scholarships to runners. Of course, we put in the effort. We would run upwards of 100 miles/week in the offseason, and two-a-days during the season - rain, snow, ice and shine, we were out there every day. Now, I realize it's all a simple relationship of whether the sport is friendly to viewers, and cross country isn't to the general populance. Many of the runners were engineers as well, so their dedication to GU athletics at the D1 level was admirable.

Where am I going with this? There are a lot of people out there supporting GU athletics personally and dedicating much sweat and time in the process, and while we didn't carry the burden of having to meet fan expectations, we also didn't get cheered for or supported in virtually any sense. I understand the talent and effort needed to compete at a high level, and I don't think you need to have played basketball specifically to grasp that concept.

HS only for me........played football in college.....could have played baseball too if not for the ridiculous time commitment that would have been required to play both.......but I digress....

Did Few play college ball?

Did that coach for New Jersey Nets --Lawrence I think?--play college ball?

I think this threads a not starter.......playing matters if u putting together a Hoopfest team or some other team, but clearly coaches at the highest levels don't need to have College or pro experience to be effective.....

I, along with most of you, have probably been able to gauge the "quality" of a coach pretty quick----I trust you do the same with the posters on this board.....

I'll continue to measure the worth of what I read but the quality of the content as posted......and will not ask for anyone's qualifications before deciding just how much weight I'll give to said opinion....kind of ridiculous if you ask me....wait you didn't....oh well, still think its ridiculous...

I have extensive training on Nintendo's "NBA Jam" back in the day... Does that count?
    2009 Foo Fantasy Football Champ
    2014 Foo Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Champ

I think it's an interesting question, just to hear the different responses people have. Those that have played, think it's important, and those that haven't, many don't think it is.

However, those that played other sports in college get the point that it is a very labor intensive proposition to perform at the college level, keep your grades up, and toe the line when others around you aren't (I think of Klay Thompson here. He succumbed to the pressure around him with regards to marijuana.) Much pressure in college athletics! Those that have played any sport at the collegiate level, get it.

As for basketball, if you've never played, except a round of horse, you are possibly missing out on understanding some of the nuances. Proper screening, how to hold long enough to release on a pick and roll, how to get around screens when the sole purpose of the other guy is to stop you, etc.

I will freely admit off the bat as I have tried to by introducing (in my own way) that I'm a overly competitive and arrogant mofo.

I never played beyond 4A high school basketball. I did not have the body Im 5'7 at best maybe 5'8 to where even if I wanted to play competitively beyond that I didn't have the guts to do it. It's one of my biggest regrets in my life. But do I know a players perspective and what it takes to play the level of ball it takes to get even a slim chance to play for the beloved bulldogs, you better believe it.

I can rightfully be arrogant in my post's because I never fooled myself at any point in my life that I would ever be able to "make it" so to speak.
    I walked over 20 miles to watch the Zags

Default The Big Gun speaks

I think it important to have experience to draw on when commenting on a topic.
    I played 4 years of ball starting in the 5 grade. I was big for my age and was the tall man on the floor, just through me the ball and I will shoot, thats how I got the name, "Big Gun". By the 2nd year the guys were catching up to me and my point totals started going down. It was a real slide from there, by my 4th year I wan't seeing much time, but did get to play for 2 minutes in the 8th grade championship.
    Loving Basketball I naturally tried out for the Jr. Varsity in high school, but didn't make the squad, as it was in a competitive district of South Dakota, where the competition was fierce.
    Still wanting to be close to the game I tried out for cheerleader and made it. I can honestly say I pioneered that whole area being the first male cheerleader to try, let alone be selected. It was tough as it was a farming community and the Cowboys didn't appreciate the finner points of the art. I was able to stay close to the team and attend all the games, picking up great pointers about the game. I used this knowledge to play Saturday games in open gym and dominate the play. I developed a signature move driving the Baseline and use that as my name here on the GU forum. Am I bragging, maybe, buts its what I have done the best in in my life and I'm proud of my athletic achievements.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

This is akin to saying that if you were not a jockey?, you know nothing about horse racing . I played four years of H.S. Varsity hoops . Was back-up to an All State Center for two years and a starter my junior & senior years . I played one season of College ball at a Division 3 school before a gimpy knee, limited mobility and lack of a left handed hook , showed me that I would be better off else where . Joined USAF after school and either my game improved or the competition got worse , as I made my Base All-Star Team . All of this was many moons ago and now all I do is continue to love and observe the game and root for my favorite teams , my Indians , Cav's & Browns, with Gonzaga being my Collegiate favorite.
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

PLayed D3 ball now coach D3 collegiate basketball

Hoarse racing I know, had ponies I ran at golden gate Redwood City. Learned that the best horse doesn't always win, the horse that has the biggest heart, thats where you put your money.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.