Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hope Kelly has been watching Dirk N.

Default I hope Kelly has been watching Dirk N.

for it appears that they have much in common and I believe that down the road with a a lot of hard work , K.O could someday become a similar weapon.
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

He's much closer to Nicolas Tskitishvili right now though, especially in terms of potential. Would be awesome if he stepped his game up to become the stud so many have been hoping he'd become.

I'm sorry hillbillyzag, but there is absolutely no similarities between Kelly and Dirk. Yeah, Kelly can shoot outside, he's tall, and he's white, but that's about it.

Oh geeeeeeeeez......you strike again New

It's too bad Meech didn't watch more Chris Paul.

K.O. has no chance of ever being a similar weapon to Dirk. Next ridiculous comparison?

Look, whatever any of us older fans have to say , there is immediately some smart assed comment from some of our younger generation posters . And in a few cases thre are always some racial overtones within it ? I get the feeling some of you feel that a kids color/culture has a lot to do with how well you can play or how much you can love this game. Zag fans respect and root for EVERY kid that wears a Gonzaga uni on the field or on the court . There have been way too many instances lately of a critique of a players skills by a few going way beyond pointing out the necessary .
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

I'd say K.O. hasn't play enough minutes for anybody to know who he resembles.

Zag fans respect and root for EVERY kid that wears a Gonzaga uni on the field or on the court . There have been way too many instances lately of a critique of a players skills by a few going way beyond pointing out the necessary .
    HillBilly,

You are taking a kid that, while a promising WCC player, has yet to make a significant impact on a fringe top 25 NCAA team, and comparing him to one of the 20 best basketball players of all time. And then when it is pointed out how ludicrous it is, you get all butthurt and lash out, even throwing in the race card for good measure.

Weak.

Quote Originally Posted by NewLookZag View Post
    I'm sorry hillbillyzag, but there is absolutely no similarities between Kelly and Dirk. Yeah, Kelly can shoot outside, he's tall, and he's white, but that's about it.
    Funny you say there "is absolutely no similarities" (sic) between the two, then list three, two of which, when it comes to playing, are pretty important. I'll let you decide which ones. Now, do I believe Kelly is the second coming of Dirk? Not really. Dirk is a world-class shooter. Can Kelly be something like Lamar Odom - a role guy who has all around game but prefers to play on the perimeter, board and pass - maybe, but it's going to a take a lot of work.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    Can Kelly be something like Lamar Odom - a role guy who has all around game but prefers to play on the perimeter, board and pass - maybe, but it's going to a take a lot of work.
    KO needs to marry a kardashian and he will be set!

First off, let me express the hope that I am dead wrong.

That being said, I think that sometimes we look at the positive attributes of players and then give them basketball ceilings that are just way too high. This is my view of KO.

I do know that he is almost 7', played PG in HS and had incredible stats. But I also see a guy that does not have elite Bball coordination. When Dirk was a teenager, he was tall and very coordinated. He dominated the Nike World game and was a lottery pick in the NBA. Kelly maybe grew too tall too quickly. Maybe he just doesn't have the skill set to be an elite player.

I want to make it clear that I am in no way ripping on KO (or HBZ). I would like to see him make all WCC by the time he is a senior. That would be a huge accomplishment. I just don't see him as a player that will be good enough to be compared to Dirk, or Lamar, or Budinger.

But again, refer to my first line.

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    Funny you say there "is absolutely no similarities" (sic) between the two, then list three, two of which, when it comes to playing, are pretty important. I'll let you decide which ones. Now, do I believe Kelly is the second coming of Dirk? Not really. Dirk is a world-class shooter. Can Kelly be something like Lamar Odom - a role guy who has all around game but prefers to play on the perimeter, board and pass - maybe, but it's going to a take a lot of work.
    Jeez!! I wonder if any of you have ever watched a basketball game other than a GU game!

If you think that those 3 similarities translate into Kelly Olynyk having a snow balls chance in hell in being Dirk like, you are extremely ignorant. Forgive me for being honest, but the "older generation" around here is pretty clueless.

And STFU about "racial undertones", Hillbilly Are you kidding me? I was simply proving a point as to why YOU would compare Kelly an Dirk. I am pretty much 100% certain you've watched less than 3 minutes of Dirk play. Dirk is one of the most unique, crafty, special players to ever play in the NBA. Kelly Olynyk has a decent jump shot.... What next? Robert Sacre and Shaq?

BTW, Dirk being a "world class shooter" is about the last thing that makes him so special. There are "world class shooters" on every NBA roster. Watch a game sometime.

Hey NLZ.

You're viewpoints would be accepted and agreed with much more often if you just decreased the personal insults.

No reason for them really.

Hillbilly's first post was the he hoped KO was watching Dirk......that's about it. Then then following posts go at KO like crazy even though the Hill post was simple and benign.
    You guys need to relax . No need for incessant criticism of our own kids who are not world class. They are just kids trying to play well, learn a craft, graduate and move on in life.

Just because Hill says that he hopes KO is watching Dirk, the following is just out of place. NewLook if you're going to go at our kids on every comment or even the tangential comments, you'll be unhappy here.

Offseason can get pretty "loose" in termsof focus. Let's quit pciking on our kids as the season is over and has been over for a full month. All of our boy are in development. Let's be happy with that AND let's be happy with what we've got right now. The youngsters obviously are spoiled by our success and have no sense of history of the program......Big Sky days anyone? Pre D1 days anyone? FYI Kelly improved tremendously last year. I'm anticipating his improvement will continue. He's far from a bust. He's integral to our success in the upcoming 2 years.

Is this really a terrible comment...?

Hillbilly said he thinks KO can be a similar weapon to Dirk.... That's a little more than "I hope KO is watching Dirk."

Still, I'm confused as to wear my comment deserved a response where I was called a smart ass, and all the noise... But of course,I get the profile warning. lol. priceless....

This board reminds me of MTVs real world/road rules challenges. You have the veterans with an alliance, and the egos, and then all the new guys with opinions are completely shut down because they disagree with the veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Hillbilly's first post was the he hoped KO was watching Dirk......that's about it. Then then following posts go at KO like crazy even though the Hill post was simple and benign.
    You guys need to relax . No need for incessant criticism of our own kids who are not world class. They are just kids trying to play well, learn a craft, graduate and move on in life.

Just because Hill says that he hopes KO is watching Dirk, the following is just out of place. NewLook if you're going to go at our kids on every comment or even the tangential comments, you'll be unhappy here.

Offseason can get pretty "loose" in termsof focus. Let's quit pciking on our kids as the season is over and has been over for a full month. All of our boy are in development. Let's be happy with that AND let's be happy with what we've got right now. The youngsters obviously are spoiled by our success and have no sense of history of the program......Big Sky days anyone? Pre D1 days anyone? FYI Kelly improved tremendously last year. I'm anticipating his improvement will continue. He's far from a bust. He's integral to our success in the upcoming 2 years.
    Great post, Abe! I agree with every word.

One of my first posts on this board was spent likening K.O. to Dirk...except I thought Kelly had a chance to be a better passer.

In the FWIW dept. when you recieve PMs that say

"Great post, JACKASS. Way to make up data that isn't even true! Eat it."

to me, adding the poster to your ignore list is pretty much the best solution as it does no harm or grievence to the poster yet spares you the headache and the time of reading nonsense.

Wink

shouldn't every player on the team watch the best players in the world and try and mimic them?

I've watched all the Mavs-Lakers games , enjoying Dirk N. scoring almost at will against nearly every defender L.A. put on him . I hope to see the Mav's put an end to the Laker dynasty in game four. I like Dallas over L.A. , but if you want to talk about the best TEAM's in the NBA , discounting Orlando and its three superstars?, I'd have to say I like the Bulls , and coming from a Cav's fan , that's saying a lot . Those young guys in Chicago play together and they lay down the "D". Rose will be a superstar , but he plays within the gameplan too.
    ― Scottie Pippen

BTW, Dirk being a "world class shooter" is about the last thing that makes him so special. There are "world class shooters" on every NBA roster. Watch a game sometime.
    You're right, it's Dirk's toughness, athleticism and defense that have gotten him this far, not his near 40% shooting from three and 90% from the line as a 7-footer.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Default Exchange student, not!

A month ago or so Dirk was being interviewed and was asked how it is that a 7ft kid didn’t play the post position. His answer was that his early coaches didn’t force him to play inside. He felt that had he come to the U.S. the coaching would be different, and they would have made him into a post player. They allowed him to play to his strength, which is shooting, which he is pretty good at.
    I have to wonder, would Josh H. have had more success on the outside?

I thought the mere idea of a "one of a kind" athlete or "superstar" growing up in front of your eyes transforming your little mind into what a truly great perimeter big man is would be enough for most bball fans.

I'm not going to try to put up GU's players on that high of a pedestal because im a competitor...even with just being a spectator of the games.

If I expect or even hope that the kids will be the next superstar of the nba, or be a model of such player I will have a very hard "real" season.

Now in the offseason the only reason I try to have a hard stance on people's views and ideas on this board, is that it can create the things I hate so much. That being unrealistic or just plain silly expectations of our team and players. If we have another "Kong episode" as good as it is for the popularity of the board it creates a lot of disconnect and needless drama that plays out on this board in the "real" season.

I'm a die hard fan of GU and have been for awhile. I watch every game hence by my tag (really like 24). I read this board like a crack fiend after a game. I can not get myself to read it after a loss because I'm to disappointed and go through the 5 stages of death. I think after a day or 2 I can let go enough of my anger for the loss. I come back to the board after working out the loss in my head and I soak up everything that is said and have the luxury to avoid the silly posts at least in my mind.I know social dynamics enough to know I would ruffle some feathers on this board.

I'm also a die hard sports fan in general a lover of the athletics so too speak. I don't think its fair to ask people to "dumb down" their posts in response to a idea expressed by somebody. Most of us are adults and should have some idea of "character". I know that if I disagree with a idea like dirk vs ko which I do I want to be able to defend it. I don't think its right to expect people to treat everyone with kid gloves. So what if someone points out to me my idea or comparison was silly as long as they do it with "facts" even if it makes me look a little silly I personally don't care. I do care when this board wants everyone to be hypersensitive to avoid conflicts. I believe any debate should be had as long as people can have it in a respectful adult manner.

To the mods the point I'm trying to make is for the posters on the board who are "purists" shouldn't have to feel like we have to treat the more casual fans with kid gloves. Last I remembered we are all adults and most capable or at least I pray atleast that someone in a "sense" laughing at their idea would not be a big deal for them. As long as is done without just pointing a internet finger at them with a HUGE laughing emoticon and saying "hahaha so stupid of you!!!!!!" their should be no issue.

If we have people on this board that are so sensitive the mere suggestion someone using indisputable facts to point out that their idea is just plain silly then maybe we should have a age verification and a disclaimer saying

"Hello new GU board member welcome! Be very aware you might read things you don't agree with if that mere idea makes you think your about to spontaneously cum bust then this place may not be a good place for you. May I suggest a nice spa in your area.
    I walked over 20 miles to watch the Zags

Quote Originally Posted by Zerogame View Post
    A month ago or so Dirk was being interviewed and was asked how it is that a 7ft kid didn’t play the post position. His answer was that his early coaches didn’t force him to play inside. He felt that had he come to the U.S. the coaching would be different, and they would have made him into a post player. They allowed him to play to his strength, which is shooting, which he is pretty good at.
    I have to wonder, would Josh H. have had more success on the outside?
    Josh wouldn't play inside. He thought he was best outside and mostly....that's what he did. I loved Josh but he could have contributed sooooo much more inside.

sweet day....i got called ignorant and clueless in the same posting simply because I am "old generation"........I just smile because I KNOW I have been around the block a time or two, not simply WISHING or trying to impress someone to think that I have been around the block or two......

I will slinker back into my "clueless" box and keep reading the enlightened, all knowing posts so I can one day become "all knowing".
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

We need to class up our insults on this board. Maybe some Yiddish?