Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Door for Bryce Jones is Wide Open

Default The Door for Bryce Jones is Wide Open

If everything goes well, I think we see a new Zag fairly soon. Seems pretty obvious.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Painfully obvious actually. I hope both sides are very comfortable of the "fit" and nothing is forced.

I have wanted Bryce Jones all along and just hope that if this happens, that he is 100% on board with the decision/committment. The spot is open if he wants to take it...I trust the staff in their evaluation of him and personally think that the "issues" are a bit overblown. I also doubt that the fact they signed Guy Landry has much bearing on the situation as they will be spaced out in terms of eligibility.

I would assume that if Jones didn't come aboard that the scholarship would go to Hart or Stockton....thoughts on this?

Scholarship is there, playing time is there next year with one at least of our bigs leaving and KO and SD moving into Center. I dont see why not for Jones at this point.

I want Jones BAD. Disappointing that he won't be able to play next year, though... When did he transfer from USC?

IMO this sets up the program for 2012-2013... I wish Rob was a year younger.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    If everything goes well, I think we see a new Zag fairly soon. Seems pretty obvious.

So what you're saying is Few told him to come another time, twice, with the assurance that a schollie will open. If not, not so obvious

Interesting....
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewLookZag View Post
    I want Jones BAD. Disappointing that he won't be able to play next year, though... When did he transfer from USC?

IMO this sets up the program for 2012-2013... I wish Rob was a year younger.
    With Daniels work and Dowers devotion we will have a good center to replace Rob with.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    With Daniels work and Dowers devotion we will have a good center to replace Rob with.
    Very good point. Dower is a stud. Just love the depth we have now at that position... Although Dower getting the majority of the minutes might be great.

Default Oh, good

I can only trust that the coaches and players (if the player veto really exists) are taking the utmost care in making sure Jones will fit. I don't necessarily think talent is always the only thing.

I really like this get if it happens. Jones is a unique type of player that a Gonzaga type program doesn't usually get. Huge upside and already a very good defender.

As long as he's going to be a fit with the program as far as attitude and all that go, I'm ok with this.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I don't know about Jones...can anyone post a link or some data as to why Few is so hungry for him? Was he a big time HS player?

I'd keep the schollie open till we find a monster. Is Jones THAT monster? few must think so or is this the "random, willy nilly shot in the dusk"?
    Last edited by MDABE80; 05-04-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: mmmm

"I'm getting a Willy Nilly, Haphazard, Random feeling again
    *sigh*
    It's like Groundhog Day."

Soon after this post things started to happen.

If you say it's pretty obvious the door is open for Bryce Jones then I'm confident Bryce will be joining the Zags soon. Thanks for the heads up Mark, I mean Bob.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Default the end of it

hopefully the love affair w jones ends the panic mode that gu/few have been in these last two years....theres no pressure on few up there (a sad fact) and virtually no accountability with gu admin (maybe angelo can weigh in here) so im unclear as to why all the seemingly irrational moves -- both in and out of the program.

When is he eligible?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballre...LnD3bjYqrVO5B4

number 97 player in the class according to Rivals. Pretty big recruit.

Just type his name in on youtube and you'll get some highlights, some interviews, and a pretty funny video of him playing HORSE with his dad.

Default #69 with ESPN and Scout.com

Bryce Jones was ranked at #69 with ESPN and scout.com:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...kings/_/class/

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...pid=88&yr=2010

If Bryce chooses Gonzaga, he would have to sit out the 2011/12 season due to NCAA transfer rules. He would become eligible for the 2012/13 season.

As most of us know, Gonzaga has a good history with transfers...Erroll Knight, Dan Dickau, Micah Downs, Richard Fox....

Default Huh???

I leave you folks alone for a month and 3 players quit and you are looking to sign this guy?

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan...s-usc-20110125

Has GU become thug central?

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! No Thugs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Bell, Pangos, Dower, Jones... Spencer? ...Bennett? Wow, that'd be impressive. That team would have the must talent since the 08-09 squad, probably more.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    Bell, Pangos, Dower, Jones... Spencer? ...Bennett? Wow, that'd be impressive. That team would have the must talent since the 08-09 squad, probably more.
    His dad is K.C. Jones. Who can argue with that?

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    His dad is K.C. Jones. Who can argue with that?
    Stepdad.

I love this quote from his high school coach:

Taft High Coach Derrick Taylor said Jones didn't have problems in high school that went beyond routine scuffles.

"No, nothing out of the ordinary," Taylor said. "He had a run-in or two in a few years, but quite a few kids got into it with each other."
    (emphasis mine)

Lot of respect for KC Jones as a player. Wonder if he "helps" with coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    I leave you folks alone for a month and 3 players quit and you are looking to sign this guy?

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan...s-usc-20110125

Has GU become thug central?

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! No Thugs!
    I'm with you, 75Zag. Kid gets asked to leave a program and we're excited to get him? I don't get it ...

Is the fact that GU is pursuing a player with a history of flagrant misbehavior a sign that Few is desperate to recover from some whiffs on the recruiting trail? Or is landing a player of Jones' caliber a sign that GU has some juice in the recruiting world? Personally, I think it's both. Jones can play, but I'd have some trepidation about how things would play out for him at Gonzaga.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Quote Originally Posted by spudzag View Post
    Lot of respect for KC Jones as a player. Wonder if he "helps" with coaching.
    It didn't "help" much with the Larry Drew situation in NC. My biggest consolation with this whole thing is that he will be hungry and two years older (read: more mature) by the time he'd be ready to suit up for the Zags.

On the glass half full side, it would be nice to snag a kid who was the top recruit for a PAC-10 team, is a coach's son, and who was good enough to play as a true freshman. I just hope he doesn't think he'd be a big fish in a small pond here, because he would be humbled quickly by the rest of the talent around him. He will have to work for his minutes, and history has definitely shown that recently. I can't say I'm excited about this kid, but once he throws on a Zag uni I will support him (barring continued extracurricular shennanigans).

My biggest question right now is why aren't more schools recruiting him?