Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Bulldog Tavern

The best BBQ in the world is probably made on some guy's back porch that doesn't know he could make a restaurant out of it.

On the other hand if you like a range of BBQ, particularly hawaiin, Aloha Island Grill on Francis is my favorite in Spokane. Don't make it a date night though, it only seats about 10 and feels like the old Papa Johns lobby on Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgebackzag View Post
    The best BBQ in the world is probably made on some guy's back porch that doesn't know he could make a restaurant out of it.

On the other hand if you like a range of BBQ, particularly hawaiin, Aloha Island Grill on Francis is my favorite in Spokane. Don't make it a date night though, it only seats about 10 and feels like the old Papa Johns lobby on Hamilton.
    I love Aloha Island Grill. It might be the one thing I miss the most about Spokane.
    Bring back the OCC

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by ridgebackzag View Post

re pgh 1: I nominate Hondo's back porch & yard. THE best.

re pgh 2: I'm going to check it out. driven by many times. Wondered a few times if it was any good. Never stopped. Now, I will. thanks.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

I'll bet that was some mighty fine wine at that price. . .
    Annie Green Springs or Boonesfarm -- sweet wine, cheap and worked well as a an aphrodisiac, especially when supplemented with stale popcorn!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Some good memories at the Bulldog...never knew they had food LOL. That's what HICO and The Chef was for...
    Go Zags!!!

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    Some good memories at the Bulldog...never knew they had food LOL. That's what HICO and The Chef was for...
    The Ptomaine Triangle . . .
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”

The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

The saltiest popcorn on the planet & the coolest party booths around.

Possibly the smallest bathrooms too...

That is what I remember of the Bulldog.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Noticed bathroom was plurural...LOL.

I remember beating Oregon Zag Nut in pool a lot
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 77Zag View Post
    Annie Green Springs or Boonesfarm -- sweet wine, cheap and worked well as a an aphrodisiac, especially when supplemented with stale popcorn!
    Only if your target was a Kinman coed...
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Only if your target was a Kinman coed...
    I was always under the impression that the Zag men were the targets for the Kinman coed population. Hunt and peck, if you will.
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

I was always under the impression that the Zag men were the targets for the Kinman coed population. Hunt and peck, if you will.
    Three words that have served me well over the years ...... "I don't remember".

Then there are the four words that have the same effect .... "I'll take the 5th".

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    The saltiest popcorn on the planet & the coolest party booths around.

That is what I remember of the Bulldog.
    Few others:

Steve. If you have to ask who Steve is, you don't know Steve. Does he still work there?

The "retired" architect who always sat on the corner, drank white zinfendel, and chatted up the coeds at every possible moment.

"That girl is no good for you. -Mom" graffiti'd on the fence behind the bar. There was a picture circulating once of a couple doing the horizontal handshake on the grass underneath the graffiti.
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Default Gamagin

"1: I nominate Hondo's back porch & yard. THE best."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB4fSs_juoc

Boy, Zagco is sure glad he never had to go poop in that bathroom.

Why is it in some of these posts and the PM's that are flying around that the most prevalent words/phrases are "Kinman" and "5th Amendment?"
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

It was that way, until my dormmates stripped me and locked me on the balcony of 2nd floor DeSmet as a birthday present.

From that point on, the "hunting and pecking" of Kinman coeds vanished much like the dinosaurs after the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction event.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Longhorn Barbecue on Argonne Road and at Airway Heights is the best I've found around here. I tend to go to Pete's and David's in the Bulldog vicinity.
    Not even close.

Try Chicken-n-More downtown. My best friend was born and raised in Alabama and complained about the lack of southern bbq in Spokane. I took him to Chicken-n-More and he ordered the pulled pork, greens, hushpuppies and red beans & rice. After we were through, he bought two bottles of their bbq sauce to take home saying. "That is southern bbq."

Now it's on our monthly lunch spot rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post
    Not even close.

Try Chicken-n-More downtown. My best friend was born and raised in Alabama and complained about the lack of southern bbq in Spokane. I took him to Chicken-n-More and he ordered the pulled pork, greens, hushpuppies and red beans & rice. After we were through, he bought two bottles of their bbq sauce to take home saying. "That is southern bbq."

Now it's on our monthly lunch spot rotation.
    Been to both, sticking with BZ on this one. And that other outfit is slooooooww.......
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Default Some quick thoughts

JohnO: My daughter moved to Austin a year ago and we had BBQ at Salt Lick there and Pappas in Houston. We loved both; what do you think?

Everybody else: Didn't you used to be able to walk from the Bulldog into Pete's without going outside? And does anybody else here remember Van Gorp Place, the one-block long street near Colonial Bowl? And Pagan Pink? 77 cents. Enough said.

The "Student Stuffer" at Paki's was a culinary treat...especially when you had a big case of the munchies caused by inhaling the acrid smoke emanating from neighboring rooms.

Second hand smoke was just a fact of life in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Three words that have served me well over the years ...... "I don't remember".

Then there are the four words that have the same effect .... "I'll take the 5th".
    +1

Default freejoe

Quote Originally Posted by freejoe69 View Post
    Everybody else: Didn't you used to be able to walk from the Bulldog into Pete's without going outside? And does anybody else here remember Van Gorp Place, the one-block long street near Colonial Bowl? And Pagan Pink? 77 cents. Enough said.
    (1) Trick question, perhaps ? Pete's started out as a pizza shell business (selling frozen, rolled out, dough, to other pizza parlors) inside the sw corner of the Bulldog. There was an outside and an inside entrance from the BD.

Pete's later on moved next door, the BD expanded the old Pete's space in to a hamburger joint, and Pete's kept making shells but expanded to serving calzone's and pizza.

If you want to go back even further, & you are not too confused, the original bulldog Tavern was in what is now the Pete's Pizza building. The present Bulldog is made up of old WW II surplus sections of barracks or buildings of that vintage and shape, that once stood behind Webster grade school, across the street from der Bingle's house. Webster later became the GU Law School & is now a full block of student housing in the 600 block between sharp and sinto.

(2) Yes, I remember Van Gorp.

(3) Pagan Pink ? Nope. I'm guessing it was a drink in one of those holes in the wall pubs along the west side of division somewhere, or else at Mary Glass' Bubble Inn. But just guessing. Further it would probably involve wine and a soft drink, since hard drinks were not in the pubs. Close ?
    Go TEAM Zags !

Default I am confused!

Man, I hope I wasn't peeing in the freezer on my trip to Pete's. I just thought it was a bit drafty in the hallway. And Pagan Pink was a particularly fruity flavor of Ripple. Even tried finding a vintage bottle on Ebay last year, to no avail. There's no accounting for taste, or lack of it! And I'm happy to hear that I didn't make Van Gorp up in my head. Like an imaginary friend.

Default Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MedZag View Post
    Few others:

Steve. If you have to ask who Steve is, you don't know Steve. Does he still work there?

The "retired" architect who always sat on the corner, drank white zinfendel, and chatted up the coeds at every possible moment.

"That girl is no good for you. -Mom" graffiti'd on the fence behind the bar. There was a picture circulating once of a couple doing the horizontal handshake on the grass underneath the graffiti.
    Steve DOES still work there!