Results 1 to 25 of 67

Thread: Your Bulldog Tavern

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,876

    Default Your Bulldog Tavern

    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ome-new-bites/

    Hungry? Like barbecue?

    Birddog can give us a historical account of this Zag establishment, dating back to the Pharoahs. Sam the Sham, that is.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill of Spokane
    Posts
    2,750

    Default Went downhill

    It was the prime spot to be when I was at GU in the 70's and they did not check ID. However, it went on a real down hill slide after that. Last time I was in there 15 years ago the place smelled like stale whiz, and that does not do much for the ambiance.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    304

    Default

    I'm not optimistic that the BBQ will be any good, but I'll give it a try and report back. As someone raised on good Texas BBQ I haven't found anything close in Spokane. The chef worked at Lazy Bones. I tired that before it closed and was really hoping for the best, but could taste no smoke flavor. Seems like they use some electric contraption called a "smoker" but it comes nothing close to pit smoking with real wood. Legitimate BBQ shouldn't rely on sauce. It should stand on its own. Don't get me wrong, I really hope this stuff is good.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    I'm not optimistic that the BBQ will be any good, but I'll give it a try and report back. As someone raised on good Texas BBQ I haven't found anything close in Spokane. The chef worked at Lazy Bones. I tired that before it closed and was really hoping for the best, but could taste no smoke flavor. Seems like they use some electric contraption called a "smoker" but it comes nothing close to pit smoking with real wood. Legitimate BBQ shouldn't rely on sauce. It should stand on its own. Don't get me wrong, I really hope this stuff is good.
    Longhorn Barbecue on Argonne Road and at Airway Heights is the best I've found around here. I tend to go to Pete's and David's in the Bulldog vicinity.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Longhorn Barbecue on Argonne Road and at Airway Heights is the best I've found around here. I tend to go to Pete's and David's in the Bulldog vicinity.
    Not even close.

    Try Chicken-n-More downtown. My best friend was born and raised in Alabama and complained about the lack of southern bbq in Spokane. I took him to Chicken-n-More and he ordered the pulled pork, greens, hushpuppies and red beans & rice. After we were through, he bought two bottles of their bbq sauce to take home saying. "That is southern bbq."

    Now it's on our monthly lunch spot rotation.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post
    Not even close.

    Try Chicken-n-More downtown. My best friend was born and raised in Alabama and complained about the lack of southern bbq in Spokane. I took him to Chicken-n-More and he ordered the pulled pork, greens, hushpuppies and red beans & rice. After we were through, he bought two bottles of their bbq sauce to take home saying. "That is southern bbq."

    Now it's on our monthly lunch spot rotation.
    Been to both, sticking with BZ on this one. And that other outfit is slooooooww.......
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

  7. #7

    Default Some quick thoughts

    JohnO: My daughter moved to Austin a year ago and we had BBQ at Salt Lick there and Pappas in Houston. We loved both; what do you think?

    Everybody else: Didn't you used to be able to walk from the Bulldog into Pete's without going outside? And does anybody else here remember Van Gorp Place, the one-block long street near Colonial Bowl? And Pagan Pink? 77 cents. Enough said.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    I'm not optimistic that the BBQ will be any good, but I'll give it a try and report back. As someone raised on good Texas BBQ I haven't found anything close in Spokane. The chef worked at Lazy Bones. I tired that before it closed and was really hoping for the best, but could taste no smoke flavor. Seems like they use some electric contraption called a "smoker" but it comes nothing close to pit smoking with real wood. Legitimate BBQ shouldn't rely on sauce. It should stand on its own. Don't get me wrong, I really hope this stuff is good.
    Mesquite chips are a secret ingredient in Texas BBQ. The thought of a mesquite-smoked steak (or ribs) is making my mouth .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,525

    Default

    Bulldog is awesome. That's my spot before games because you can actually get a beer. I do not like the crowds at Jack and Dan's before a game and it's next to impossible to get a beer there. If you are lucky enough to get a beer it usually is in a hot glass that just came out of the dishwasher. Jack and Dan's is great any other time.
    Bring back the OCC

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,410

    Default

    It's also possible to have too much wood smoke. I had some chicken a couple of months ago that was cooked over oak, and I couldn't get the friggin' oak smell off my hands for 3 days. Way, way too strong. There is no substitute for a good pitmaster.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Mesquite chips are a secret ingredient in Texas BBQ. The thought of a mesquite-smoked steak (or ribs) is making my mouth .
    Best BBQ I ever had was at a ranch owned by relatives in Weslaco Texas. They cut mesquite limbs off their own trees to make the fire in the dual chimney barrel smoker. The steaks they cooked were awesome, so was the shrimp and corn on the cob.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

    GO ZAGS!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    476

    Default

    BZ: This is much better!

    God Bless the drinking establishments on the NW and SE corners of the intersection of Sharp and Hamilton. Lots of good memories! Stale whiz stank or not!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    It was the prime spot to be when I was at GU in the 70's and they did not check ID. However, it went on a real down hill slide after that. Last time I was in there 15 years ago the place smelled like stale whiz, and that does not do much for the ambiance.
    It probably smelled like stale whiz in the 70s, too. We just didn't pay attention to it at the time.

    Last time I stopped there was during my (25 year) reunion in 2001. It didn't appear like much had changed.

    Over the years, our tastes have changed, hopefully for the better.

    Good memories, though: $1 pitchers (was it Lucky Lager?), free popcorn (damn it was salty!), an occasional stromboli, and an occasional game of pinball.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oakdale, CA
    Posts
    1,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    It probably smelled like stale whiz in the 70s, too. We just didn't pay attention to it at the time.

    Last time I stopped there was during my (25 year) reunion in 2001. It didn't appear like much had changed.

    Over the years, our tastes have changed, hopefully for the better.

    Good memories, though: $1 pitchers (was it Lucky Lager?), free popcorn (damn it was salty!), an occasional stromboli, and an occasional game of pinball.

    I must have seen you there!
    Couldn't smell the stale whiz because of the stale popcorn aroma.

    You could also get a warm case of Fischer, Buckhorn, Regal Select or Lucky Lager for $4 to go.

    I was a bit partial to making sure you had a case of warm Buckhorn in the van, just in case a haha broke out.

    Texas, send a PM to reveal your actual being!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 77Zag View Post
    .... Buckhorn......
    Yeee Haw!! Did someone say Buckhorn!!
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,286

    Default Circa 1978, from the GU Bulletin. . .



    I'll bet that was some mighty fine wine at that price. . .


    The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    It probably smelled like stale whiz in the 70s, too. We just didn't pay attention to it at the time.
    Exactly.


    Pete's Pizza next door had the calzones. They tasted awesome when I was there, but of course anything tasted awesome after 3-4 pitchers.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,473

    Default aha ! ! !

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    Yeee Haw!! Did someone say Buckhorn!!
    and of course ! the source of the stale whiz smell was the buckhorn.
    actual Bulldog whiz had a sweeter bouquet.

    I attribute some of the sweetness to the influence of a pack of Marlboro's, a gallon of Lucky Lager, several baskets of oily, stale popcorn & and a dozen or so spears of asparagus, traced back to the Cog. Per student.

    Add to that, steady doses of B.O. from Armand and several overwhelming waves of "inexpensive" perfume from Minnie, the proprietors, and we're almost there.

    For me, it's important to mix in a stromboli and a cherry blizzard from the Dairy Freeze to get the perfect, special, aroma, that constituted some of my "good old days" in the Bulldog.

    At its apex the hot provolone in a stromboli, itself, could constitute the best, most sweet whiz smell of them all.

    As soon as I turned 21, I switched to Joey's (now known as Jack and Dan's), where I.D. was checked.
    Last edited by gamagin; 04-27-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    Go TEAM Zags !

    "John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,169

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    217

    Default Thus Nights 1978

    Before my sister(GU Law Class of 1980) passed away on Easter this year, we revisited many stories surrounding Thursday Night Wine Special. The time has flown by but sharing those evenings was a very fond memory.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,525

    Default

    It's sad to think many of these wonderful stories may no longer have a home if the Bulldog shuts down.
    Bring back the OCC

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,525

    Default

    Stockton does not like his face on the wall of the Bulldog

    Quinn the artist said he sorta winged it, not really knowing how large Stockton is. That explains why he made JS about 6 foot 7. But it doesn't explain how the face is so un-Stockton like. That may be why JS doesn't like it. The face is nowhere near that of Stockton, even from 20 years ago.
    I hope this stupid bar goes out of business.
    Bring back the OCC

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,286

    Default

    That mural is pretty hideous. . .not too fond of the version of Father Tony the artist rendered. . .


    The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,286

    Default

    Understand the "new" place shut its doors yesterday.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 12-18-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •