Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Bulldog Tavern

Default Your Bulldog Tavern

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ome-new-bites/

Hungry? Like barbecue?

Birddog can give us a historical account of this Zag establishment, dating back to the Pharoahs. Sam the Sham, that is.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Default Went downhill

It was the prime spot to be when I was at GU in the 70's and they did not check ID. However, it went on a real down hill slide after that. Last time I was in there 15 years ago the place smelled like stale whiz, and that does not do much for the ambiance.

I'm not optimistic that the BBQ will be any good, but I'll give it a try and report back. As someone raised on good Texas BBQ I haven't found anything close in Spokane. The chef worked at Lazy Bones. I tired that before it closed and was really hoping for the best, but could taste no smoke flavor. Seems like they use some electric contraption called a "smoker" but it comes nothing close to pit smoking with real wood. Legitimate BBQ shouldn't rely on sauce. It should stand on its own. Don't get me wrong, I really hope this stuff is good.

BZ: This is much better!

God Bless the drinking establishments on the NW and SE corners of the intersection of Sharp and Hamilton. Lots of good memories! Stale whiz stank or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    It was the prime spot to be when I was at GU in the 70's and they did not check ID. However, it went on a real down hill slide after that. Last time I was in there 15 years ago the place smelled like stale whiz, and that does not do much for the ambiance.
    It probably smelled like stale whiz in the 70s, too. We just didn't pay attention to it at the time.

Last time I stopped there was during my (25 year) reunion in 2001. It didn't appear like much had changed.

Over the years, our tastes have changed, hopefully for the better.

Good memories, though: $1 pitchers (was it Lucky Lager?), free popcorn (damn it was salty!), an occasional stromboli, and an occasional game of pinball.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    I'm not optimistic that the BBQ will be any good, but I'll give it a try and report back. As someone raised on good Texas BBQ I haven't found anything close in Spokane. The chef worked at Lazy Bones. I tired that before it closed and was really hoping for the best, but could taste no smoke flavor. Seems like they use some electric contraption called a "smoker" but it comes nothing close to pit smoking with real wood. Legitimate BBQ shouldn't rely on sauce. It should stand on its own. Don't get me wrong, I really hope this stuff is good.
    Longhorn Barbecue on Argonne Road and at Airway Heights is the best I've found around here. I tend to go to Pete's and David's in the Bulldog vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Mesquite chips are a secret ingredient in Texas BBQ. The thought of a mesquite-smoked steak (or ribs) is making my mouth .

Bulldog is awesome. That's my spot before games because you can actually get a beer. I do not like the crowds at Jack and Dan's before a game and it's next to impossible to get a beer there. If you are lucky enough to get a beer it usually is in a hot glass that just came out of the dishwasher. Jack and Dan's is great any other time.
    Bring back the OCC

It's also possible to have too much wood smoke. I had some chicken a couple of months ago that was cooked over oak, and I couldn't get the friggin' oak smell off my hands for 3 days. Way, way too strong. There is no substitute for a good pitmaster.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    It's also possible to have too much wood smoke. I had some chicken a couple of months ago that was cooked over oak, and I couldn't get the friggin' oak smell off my hands for 3 days. Way, way too strong. There is no substitute for a good pitmaster.
    You should consider a fork.
    Bring back the OCC

CDC doesn't eat anything w/o Tabasco and jalepenos and red peppers x10!

Kind of hard to use a knife and fork on a drumstick. Plus it's just plain wrong. Such culinary treats require caveman principles.

I can safely say that this chicken didn't have Tabasco, jalapenos, cayenne, Red Rooster Sauce or anything else on it. Strange but true. Just a whole lot of oak smell.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Kind of hard to use a knife and fork on a drumstick. Plus it's just plain wrong. Such culinary treats require caveman principles.

I can safely say that this chicken didn't have Tabasco, jalapenos, cayenne, Red Rooster Sauce or anything else on it. Strange but true. Just a whole lot of oak smell.
    My bad, I kind of forgot that chicken can come on a bone. I eat a lot of the frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts from Costco.
    Bring back the OCC

For all my time spent there, I never realized they offered food. Go figure.

Had many a burger and beers with Chris Sarbaugh's dad at the Bulldog.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    My bad, I kind of forgot that chicken can come on a bone. I eat a lot of the frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts from Costco.
    You're supposed to use a knife and fork on those?? That explains the disgusted looks from the wife...or at least some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    It probably smelled like stale whiz in the 70s, too. We just didn't pay attention to it at the time.

Last time I stopped there was during my (25 year) reunion in 2001. It didn't appear like much had changed.

Over the years, our tastes have changed, hopefully for the better.

Good memories, though: $1 pitchers (was it Lucky Lager?), free popcorn (damn it was salty!), an occasional stromboli, and an occasional game of pinball.

I must have seen you there!
    Couldn't smell the stale whiz because of the stale popcorn aroma.

You could also get a warm case of Fischer, Buckhorn, Regal Select or Lucky Lager for $4 to go.

I was a bit partial to making sure you had a case of warm Buckhorn in the van, just in case a haha broke out.

Texas, send a PM to reveal your actual being!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Quote Originally Posted by 77Zag View Post
    .... Buckhorn......
    Yeee Haw!! Did someone say Buckhorn!!
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Default Circa 1978, from the GU Bulletin. . .

I'll bet that was some mighty fine wine at that price. . .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

I'll bet that was some mighty fine wine at that price. . .
    That's a serious amount of wine per serving.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Mesquite chips are a secret ingredient in Texas BBQ. The thought of a mesquite-smoked steak (or ribs) is making my mouth .
    Best BBQ I ever had was at a ranch owned by relatives in Weslaco Texas. They cut mesquite limbs off their own trees to make the fire in the dual chimney barrel smoker. The steaks they cooked were awesome, so was the shrimp and corn on the cob.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Exactly.

Pete's Pizza next door had the calzones. They tasted awesome when I was there, but of course anything tasted awesome after 3-4 pitchers.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Default aha ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    Yeee Haw!! Did someone say Buckhorn!!
    and of course ! the source of the stale whiz smell was the buckhorn.
    actual Bulldog whiz had a sweeter bouquet.

I attribute some of the sweetness to the influence of a pack of Marlboro's, a gallon of Lucky Lager, several baskets of oily, stale popcorn & and a dozen or so spears of asparagus, traced back to the Cog. Per student.

Add to that, steady doses of B.O. from Armand and several overwhelming waves of "inexpensive" perfume from Minnie, the proprietors, and we're almost there.

For me, it's important to mix in a stromboli and a cherry blizzard from the Dairy Freeze to get the perfect, special, aroma, that constituted some of my "good old days" in the Bulldog.

At its apex the hot provolone in a stromboli, itself, could constitute the best, most sweet whiz smell of them all.

As soon as I turned 21, I switched to Joey's (now known as Jack and Dan's), where I.D. was checked.
    Last edited by gamagin; 04-27-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Zagco favored the Raineer pounders back in the day, and when he was hungry. Bulldog was packed back in the day, especially on Thursday nights.