• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNut08
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
    My bad, I kind of forgot that chicken can come on a bone. I eat a lot of the frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts from Costco.
    You're supposed to use a knife and fork on those?? That explains the disgusted looks from the wife...or at least some of them.

Comment

• 77Zag
      Zag for Life
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
      It probably smelled like stale whiz in the 70s, too. We just didn't pay attention to it at the time.

Last time I stopped there was during my (25 year) reunion in 2001. It didn't appear like much had changed.

Over the years, our tastes have changed, hopefully for the better.

Good memories, though: $1 pitchers (was it Lucky Lager?), free popcorn (damn it was salty!), an occasional stromboli, and an occasional game of pinball.

I must have seen you there!
      Couldn't smell the stale whiz because of the stale popcorn aroma.

You could also get a warm case of Fischer, Buckhorn, Regal Select or Lucky Lager for $4 to go.

I was a bit partial to making sure you had a case of warm Buckhorn in the van, just in case a haha broke out.

Texas, send a PM to reveal your actual being!
      “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by 77Zag View Post
        .... Buckhorn......
        Yeee Haw!! Did someone say Buckhorn!!
        "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Circa 1978, from the GU Bulletin. . .

I'll bet that was some mighty fine wine at that price. . .
          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post

That's a serious amount of wine per serving.
            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• rijman
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2009

Mesquite chips are a secret ingredient in Texas BBQ. The thought of a mesquite-smoked steak (or ribs) is making my mouth .
              Best BBQ I ever had was at a ranch owned by relatives in Weslaco Texas. They cut mesquite limbs off their own trees to make the fire in the dual chimney barrel smoker. The steaks they cooked were awesome, so was the shrimp and corn on the cob.
              It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• kitzbuel
                • Feb 2007

It probably smelled like stale whiz in the 70s, too. We just didn't pay attention to it at the time.
                Exactly.

Pete's Pizza next door had the calzones. They tasted awesome when I was there, but of course anything tasted awesome after 3-4 pitchers.
                'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• gamagin
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

aha ! ! !

Originally posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
                  Yeee Haw!! Did someone say Buckhorn!!
                  and of course ! the source of the stale whiz smell was the buckhorn.
                  actual Bulldog whiz had a sweeter bouquet.

I attribute some of the sweetness to the influence of a pack of Marlboro's, a gallon of Lucky Lager, several baskets of oily, stale popcorn & and a dozen or so spears of asparagus, traced back to the Cog. Per student.

Add to that, steady doses of B.O. from Armand and several overwhelming waves of "inexpensive" perfume from Minnie, the proprietors, and we're almost there.

For me, it's important to mix in a stromboli and a cherry blizzard from the Dairy Freeze to get the perfect, special, aroma, that constituted some of my "good old days" in the Bulldog.

At its apex the hot provolone in a stromboli, itself, could constitute the best, most sweet whiz smell of them all.

As soon as I turned 21, I switched to Joey's (now known as Jack and Dan's), where I.D. was checked.
                  Last edited by gamagin; 04-27-2011, 04:52 PM.
                  Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                  Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                  Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• GoZags
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Bulldog v Jack and Dan's thread from Mae's
                    sigpic
                    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                    ——-
                    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• zagco
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Feb 2007

Zagco favored the Raineer pounders back in the day, and when he was hungry. Bulldog was packed back in the day, especially on Thursday nights.

Comment

• ridgebackzag
                        Kennel Club
                        • Jan 2009

The best BBQ in the world is probably made on some guy's back porch that doesn't know he could make a restaurant out of it.

On the other hand if you like a range of BBQ, particularly hawaiin, Aloha Island Grill on Francis is my favorite in Spokane. Don't make it a date night though, it only seats about 10 and feels like the old Papa Johns lobby on Hamilton.

Comment

• gu03alum
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ridgebackzag View Post
                          The best BBQ in the world is probably made on some guy's back porch that doesn't know he could make a restaurant out of it.

On the other hand if you like a range of BBQ, particularly hawaiin, Aloha Island Grill on Francis is my favorite in Spokane. Don't make it a date night though, it only seats about 10 and feels like the old Papa Johns lobby on Hamilton.
                          I love Aloha Island Grill. It might be the one thing I miss the most about Spokane.
                          Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gamagin
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

+1

Originally posted by ridgebackzag View Post

re pgh 1: I nominate Hondo's back porch & yard. THE best.

re pgh 2: I'm going to check it out. driven by many times. Wondered a few times if it was any good. Never stopped. Now, I will. thanks.
                            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• 77Zag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post

Annie Green Springs or Boonesfarm -- sweet wine, cheap and worked well as a an aphrodisiac, especially when supplemented with stale popcorn!
                              “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• cjm720
                                Zag for Life
                                • Nov 2007

Some good memories at the Bulldog...never knew they had food LOL. That's what HICO and The Chef was for...
                                Go Zags!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X