Thread: OT/ DeAngelo Casto To Forgo Senior Season

Default OT/ DeAngelo Casto To Forgo Senior Season

Interesting read. Fits in w/other topics of kids leaving early to go pro....He will be hard to replace IMO (on court talent).
    link http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/144...eaving-for-nba

I wish him luck
    Foster homes is a tough row to hoe
    and I like how he wants to be a good dad

Kiddwell likes the Cougs, likes the way Casto plays, and really really hopes things work out for him...however, this is risky. Staying put in school, earning that 4-year degree from a high-quality institution, and having tutoring help all along the way (for just one more year, DeAngelo), in this fan's view, is the wiser and safer decision.

The NBA will be around after the 2011-'12 season, yes? Stay put, earn the degree, THEN take your game to the NBA (assuming you're drafted & make a roster).

The allure of pro ball is so, well, alluring. Really nervous about this move for DeAngelo.

Oh, well...

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Sounds like it's less about the dream of playing in the NBA and more about supporting his family playing ball somewhere, anywhere. And since a student athlete can't easily get a loan or a second job and still make it as a player, what choice does he have?
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Kiddwell likes the Cougs, likes the way Casto plays, and really really hopes things work out for him...however, this is risky. Staying put in school, earning that 4-year degree from a high-quality institution, and having tutoring help all along the way (for just one more year, DeAngelo), in this fan's view, is the wiser and safer decision. The NBA will be around after the 2011-'12 season, yes? Stay put, earn the degree, THEN take your game to the NBA (assuming you're drafted & make a roster). The allure of pro ball is so, well, alluring. Really nervous about this move for DeAngelo. Oh, well...:[
    agree here, kid. he needs that education worse than anything given the lousy upbringing. He has time and he has talent, but a degree in the pocket is the insurance he really needs for the rest of his life and he won't get the kind of time and attention he needs after basketball, in all liklihood, to get that sheepskin. I count this as sad while hoping he makes it all work out for himself and his new family.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

What is Casto's major? If he's taking sports management or poetry, for example, I don't know how important it is to finish (sorry to all of the sports management/English majors I may have unintentionally offended.) A degree isn't a guarantee for success if you don't have relevant plan for the future, and it sounds like his focus is basketball for now. It also sounds like college is a huge burden to him. From where I am sitting, with very little information, I can't begrudge a guy doing what he thinks is best for him and his family. From the perspective of someone that had a big gap between his undergrad and his graduate degree/"real job"- if life is a race, it's a marathon, not a sprint, and we all take different routes to get where we need to go. He can always go back.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    What is Casto's major? If he's taking sports management or poetry, for example, I don't know how important it is to finish (sorry to all of the sports management/English majors I may have unintentionally offended.) A degree isn't a guarantee for success if you don't have relevant plan for the future, and it sounds like his focus is basketball for now. It also sounds like college is a huge burden to him. From where I am sitting, with very little information, I can't begrudge a guy doing what he thinks is best for him and his family. From the perspective of someone that had a big gap between his undergrad and his graduate degree/"real job"- if life is a race, it's a marathon, not a sprint, and we all take different routes to get where we need to go. He can always go back.
    Doesn't matter what your degree is in. The fact you have one is HUGE in terms of available jobs and future earning potential. Sure, you can always go back, but man that can be a tough route to take, esp if it's been awhile and you have to work at the same time (and pay for it). I'm not in his shoes so it's tough for me to judge his situation, and I hope the best for Casto, but there's a certainly chance he'll turn into just another cautionary tale for kids who are thinking of declaring early.

Default just heard on tonight's news WSU Jr. Klay Thomson

is going to try out for the NBA.

However, he did NOT hire an agent, which means he has until May 8 to attend tryouts & impress pro scouts & convince an NBA team to draft him, or he can remain eligible to play out his senior year at WSU.

"I think I'm ready and have a great opportunity to fulfill that dream," he said of his pro prospects.

He added he will return to Wazzu if it doesn't look like he will be a first round pick.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

As a Freeman scotty alum, I wish him the best. I imagine he will be in Europe but I hope he is successful wherever he ends up.