Thread: RIP Geno's

Default RIP Geno's

After 40 years in business on Hamilton, Geno's closed its doors on Saturday.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Wow, bad news in a way. The place was really kinda mediocre the last time I visited, far from what it used to be when Chef Giuseppe Cuozo did all the cooking. I worked there for awhile, it's where I cut my teeth in the restuarant biz. I made pizzas, bussed and waited tables, washed dishes and even made the famous cheesecake. I was privy to the secret recipe.

My older brother painted the murals that graced the walls in the north side. He did it for Frankie August not long after he first opened the place. That had to be about 1962 or 63.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Too bad. I remember when Homer and Gladys owned the place for a couple of years in the late '50's. I stopped by there one day on my way home from school at HNA, after the nuns sent me home with a bad cold. Homer, who was always a nervous wreck, brought me a bowl of chicken soup to make me feel better.

I have nice memories of stopping by the place after school, the place being jammed with HNA girls, and Homer's hands shaking as he doled out change to the crowd of young girls in forest green uniforms.

Bye, Geno's.

Default this was posted on another thread (i lost it)

supposedly, the owners of zola's bought geno's.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/zola-spokane
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor