Do the Zags follow their baseball or other sports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArchaeaBYU
    Bulldog Fan
    • Mar 2011

Do the Zags follow their baseball or other sports?

Do you have a big baseball following, track or other Olympic sport following?
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

We have a brand new baseball facility that is really nice and it's attracting much better players. With so many California schools in the WCC, the weather works against us, but Spokane in general likes baseball a lot. San Diego, LA, Malibu, Bay Area, all great baseball climates.

Also built a new soccer facility and hope to field better teams.

Honestly, though, Gonzaga needs to step up other sports. We tend not to do very well in the "country club" sports. Womens hoops is the 2nd most popular program as of now.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• ArchaeaBYU
      Bulldog Fan
      • Mar 2011

If a student catches Cougitis in its severest form, one watches anything with a BYU on it, if it succeeds.

Hence, I even was at a field in Las Vegas and discovered a club lacrosse championship which I felt compelled to watch, even though I know nothing about the sport. I am certain you are immune from the disease but it makes Cougitis a 12 month, 24/7 disease.

We have spring football, fall football, recruiting, just in football.

Basketball ends for us in March unless they travel the seas and so forth.

It is a curse. Bless your lucky stars you only follow basketball.

Comment

• CB4
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ArchaeaBYU View Post
        If a student catches Cougitis in its severest form, one watches anything with a BYU on it, if it succeeds.

Hence, I even was at a field in Las Vegas and discovered a club lacrosse championship which I felt compelled to watch, even though I know nothing about the sport. I am certain you are immune from the disease but it makes Cougitis a 12 month, 24/7 disease.

We have spring football, fall football, recruiting, just in football.

Basketball ends for us in March unless they travel the seas and so forth.

It is a curse. Bless your lucky stars you only follow basketball.
        Congrats on making it back to the Sweet Sixteen for the first time in 30 years. Your curse must have really been eating you up during that stretch of time.

Comment

• MickMick
          Zag for Life
          • Apr 2007

There are sports on television year round. They just aren't all Gonzaga sports.

A die hard sports fan will always find a way to be entertained.
          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Booster
            Bulldog Fan
            • Feb 2010

Little known fact ... The winningest program is not men's hoops, but rather women's crew. 13 league championships in a row. Cross country is on rise with one of the nations best coach's in Pat Tyson. But in terms of viewership, it will always be hoops.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2011

I'll tell you from what I know, that there may be almost as many BYU fans at the BYU-at-San Diego basketball games as Torero fans, etc etc. BYU fandom spreads far and wide and if the average attendance at SDU was only 2100 then there could be 800-1200 BYU fans if tickets are readily available.

Like ArchaeaBYU, most BYU fans are universally fanatic about BYU sports domination. With Football #1, Hoops #2 and on down the line. Their families, church and businesses support each other and stick together more than any other American group or religion. It is what America was all about (minus the Golden Plates, Seeing stones and too many wives). But those things are in the past.

I lived in Bountiful Utah for 7 years, and I will tell you, LDS are not limited to Utah.
              “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• ArchaeaBYU
                Bulldog Fan
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Booster View Post
                Little known fact ... The winningest program is not men's hoops, but rather women's crew. 13 league championships in a row. Cross country is on rise with one of the nations best coach's in Pat Tyson. But in terms of viewership, it will always be hoops.
                I love Olympic crew, and didn't know GU was dominant there. Good to know. That is a great workout too.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2009

I though the rowing teams competed in the PAC-10. Does Gonzaga still compete in the PAC-10 for any sports? [/I]
                  “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• former1dog
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Got to thinking about this topic and it raised a bit of an internal rant, so here goes.

Other than Women's basketball (a recent phenomenon) and Men's Baseball, Zag "Fans" do not give a crap about other sports at Gonzaga.

It's been a long time, but I competed for Gonzaga in a "minor" sport. We had three season per year, cross country, indoor track and outdoor track. Personally I participated in 11 seasons, only missing one in 4 years due to an injury.

NOT ONCE, not on a single occasion did a member of the Athletic Department show up to a meet. NOT ONCE did a student not related or not a friend of one of the athletes ever show up. I was very grateful that one of my college professors and the dean of my school at Gonzaga showed up on several occasions. In retrospect, I also find it kind of absurd that I got more on campus attaboys for my performance in the Bloomsday Road Race than for earning 3 1st team all conference awards and 1 honorable mention.

I competed my butt off for GU and I loved every minute of it, but there was zero support. My sport is not an exception. All the other minor sports at Gonzaga were similarly ignored and I suspect they still are.

So, here's a challenge to you other fans. Go out and see a Women's Volleyball game, a Men's soccer game, or a Cross Country meet. You're going to see some good kids competing their guts out for your school.

Comment

• oregongufan
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Feb 2007

I follow the other sports as best I can being in Oregon. When the Zags have played Portland in volleyball, soccer, and baseball, I try to make the event. But I really have to watch the GoZags site for schedules.

Comment

• UberZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

F1D, you competed in track!!! It's like riding a bike, for goodness sake. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmu1CZEN6Yk

FWIW, Uber attended several sporting events at GU aside from GU men's bball. Baseball, soccer, volleyball (in fact, most volleyball games). And in truth, back then (in your and Uber's day), the attendance between the "minor" sports and men's basketball was not all that great. Men's games saw half the MAC filled on good days and Uber recalls only filled houses against the likes of LMU (in Uber's early days) and SCU (in Uber's later days).
                        If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• ZagMD
                          Redshirt
                          • Feb 2007

Minor sports at GU

I remember Keg Wars were always well attended, at least I think they were.

Comment

• Baseline
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2011

My favorite summer sport is waiting for the Few Trout reports to start filtering in. Grab a cold brew and dream when they come in. Yes, we have wide interests!
                            "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2011

former1dog is right. We all "support" each and every team. But very few show it.

It is better now than it was back in former1's days. 70's? 80's?

Since many of the other events are free, why not make it a point to see 1 game, match or event from every sport Gonzaga offers during the course of a year.

The rugby and lacrosse clubs used to garner more support for each game because they always bought a keg afterwards. Good tradition is hard to break!!
                              “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

Working...
                              X