Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GU Unit of the Game-- SJU - NCAA Tourney - 3/17/11

Marquise.

Gray all day. Carter with the mop up save and other good numbers a close second.

Maybe the SJU poster will vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaglaw View Post
    Ball handling was a huge factor in this game. Their press didn't phase Meech.
    +1. Carter/Gray are the obvious choices, but Meech deserves it tonight. With all the minutes DS has gotten lately, and all the accolades, Meech has hung in there and been a steady, team-first guy. Tonight he was needed and stepped up big.

MC.

That was the best performance of the Zags all
    year. Oh My God!!!!!!

El Voce Guest

Mark Few. Never this year has a Gonzaga team been that well prepared for a big game.

Gray - everything just worked better with him on the court.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Carter, with Steven and Harris close behind.

Few and company. Wow. What a great game.

Coaches for getting them ready, the guys for performing. Go Zags!

I'll go Carter, but Sacre took the wind out of their sails and Harris was simply great. The team three point shooting was outstanding. The rebounding was nothing short of dominant.

The Zags handled the press with ease and that was really the only weapon St. Johns had.....the defensive press. The Zags handled the opponent's strength with ease and the Zag's defense on their best player, Hardy, was simply outstanding.

Few's finest coaching ever. Not just this game, but for the second half of the season. This team was very well prepared.

The Zags played at a very, very high level.
    I miss Mike Hart

Who really cares ? G.U. WON!
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

No question carter was the best.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Thumbs up

Carter = Amazing
    Gray = Warrior
    Meech = We Love You
    PS... cool shades Dower!

I'm thinking that those WCC coaches weren't so dumb after all.

Marquise Carter!

But huge hats off to Meech, Gray, Few and all the rest. Great preparation and great execution all around.

Team. Top to bottom. Starters. Bench. Coaches.

I'll go with Carter - going from barely playing and maybe not returning in Dec to 24 6 and 6 in an NCAA win in March is just absolutely amazing. I was worried his slow release on 3s would hinder him, but it wasn't really a factor and man was he on.

If I felt it wasn't cop-out to choose the team or the coaches, I would. Wow. Just wow. That was by far the best bball the Zags have played this season. 20 assists on 28 made buckets.

Assists

on 28

made

buckets.

Unreal. Just unreal. I think in a lot of ways the WCC has benefited this team this year. It not only allowed (forced) the team to get their house in order, it made them perform under immense pressure, which helps deal with NCAA tourney games (I mean, compared to ending the streak and having to walk around the school and the city for the rest of your career and be recognized vs the possibility of losing in the first round vs a lower seed after you were already in had to be not that great). Also, I think the fact that the WCC teams pretty much know all the guys' tendencies and really shut down their first options pretty well honed the team this year for playing a team that, yes, was athletic, but didn't have the time to really learn and adjust to the Zags' tendencies. SJU had absolutely no idea what hit them. Wow. Beautiful bball and absolute dominance on the boards to make up for the (fairly small) TO disparity.

Every player played great. In preparing for this game the answer was Meech. We had no problem bring the ball upcourt which is where St. Johns beat most teams. Also this was the best coached game I've seen of Mark Fews years as a head coach. I think a lot of that is attributable to him listening to the imput of the other coaches. Way to go ZAGS.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

I have to go with The Marquee! Guy was unstoppable tonight. But also have to say that this was a total team effort. I mean we out rebounded the Johnnies by what......23 boards? Simply amazing!
    Gonzaga Class of 2011!

Gotta go with Carter. Meech really had a solid game. Who woulda thunk GU's guard play was going to match up so well against SJU?
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Steven Gray> He was leader tonight, the one in control. He was the one who stepped up with confidence, and Sacre and Harris followed right behind him. These 3 guys really played great tonight and took St John's completely out of their game. I've never seen a team keep St. Johns from attacking the basket the way Gonzaga did. Gray was just awesome on defense in the beginning, and Gonzaga's press really hurt St. John's. We beat them at their own game....

Yes. Steven the Warrior
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Steven Gray was by far the team leader tonight - did EVERYTHING! Score, pass, rebound, steal, defend, intimidate (in a nice way) - an amazing performance. Yes, Carter looked very solid, but many of his points were free throws (thanks for making those!), and did not make as many amazing plays as Gray (but did have many of his own). Meech was great too. Harris looked energetic, Sacre would have had more points if the many fouls on him would have been called, but his hands are a current problem.

Carter, he did it all!

I loved the Zags defense tonight, they collapsed the center preventing the drives. Best team play all year.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

From top to bottom a greatperformance from the players and staff....great preparation!

My G-UNIT is Meech. The redmen's game is generated off of their defense...Meech sorta ruined it. I hope other teams watching give the press a chance too...

going with Carter 24-6-6. Darn good line

+1 Jim 77

with awesome game from Carter and Gray was the SENIOR leader laying within the game
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Default The Starting 5

Everyone played great, especially Carter and Gray.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!