Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pendo: "The Forgotten Man"

Default Pendo: "The Forgotten Man"

David Pendergraft will be the heart and soul of this years team...period!!

Now that I got that off my chest, I've got to say that I get disgusted when just about everynight I log on to this board and see someone talking about the "starting five" or the great mismatches we'll be able to force with our variety of athletes, and they completely neglect to mention Mr. Pendergraft.

Pendo will, and should, get 25 mpg and he will be on the floor late in the game when IT matters. You heard it here first!!

We all understand that Pendo may not jump as high, he may be a step slower or an inch shorter, but you cannot measure heart or the intangibles of basketball IQ and knowing how to win with a stopwatch or a measuring tape. Pendo is a winner, he is Mr. Gonzaga and he will be our leader of last resort this year!!

For those of you who want something tangible to chew on, I point to the 6 game stretch Pendo had after Josh was suspended, between Memphis to the WCC title game against SC. Pendo's line was as follows:

6 games--28.7mpg; 13ppg; 5.8rpg; 2.0apg; 1.5spg; only 1.2tpg; FG%-66.7%(30-45); 3FG%-59%(10-17)

Why he only played 19 minutes against Indiana is beyond me......

Now, I'm just as excited as the next guy when I look at the caliber of kids(my apologies to Ira, as he is clearly a Man) that we've got coming in, however The Bottom Line is that before you get too drunk on the freshman Kool-Aid, let's not forget Pendo.

Well put and I haven't forgotten him either.

saintzag Guest

Smile

I agree 100%. Pendo brings toughness,heart, versatility and enthusiasm.A true competitor with a good consistent shot. He also sets the best pick on the team.The senior leadership he brings along with the above will command 25-30 minutes per game.

pendo will contribute greatly this year, and most likely start since hes a proven sr. hes exactly what this team needs to guide it back to the S16.

I agree that Pendo will probably and should probably start ... early in the season. But once the players get running on all cylinders then talent (and hopefully chemistry) takes over. Pendo blew all expectations when he stepped in last year and provided a real scoring threat. But I still think he is the best 6th man out there - providing not only 110% energy but also is a real talent.

Pendo is one of the best 3 shooters on the team. As a soph he did not do well, but he only shot 12 times. However as a freshman he was the highest % on the team with 1 exception and that was JP. He shot 48%.

After Josh's problem and he realized he would have to step up his offense he shot 13/21 from the 3 pt line. His other FG% is sweet also. WHY wouldn't Few Start 1 of the best shooters on the team.

He understands he just isn't a only a D player now. He wasn't MR. Basketball for his just his defensive play.

I think Pendo has more then earned a starting spot, but as long as he is ok with it I would still love to see him come off the bench. He provides so much more from there. That being said, he will play a huge role in whatever Few does with him. He and Pargo I think will clearly be the leaders on the floor.

Another overlooked factor is how much he can teach our other players. I think Gray, Daye, Sacre, Foster, and Downs can all learn a lot from going to Pendo U. everyday in practice.

Default Pendo

It doesn't really matter what you read when you log onto this message board. The coaches know how valuable Pendo is to the team and will play him accordingly. That may mean that he starts and plays 25 min per game or that he's first off the bench and plays 20 min per game. Rest assured he will be on the floor during crunch time making all the right plays.

There was a lot of love for David in this thread. Maybe he's not being discussed as much right now, with all the excitement about the incoming recruits. But I don't think anyone has forgotten their favorite zag.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Mac Zag Forever View Post
    Pendo is one of the best 3 shooters on the team. As a soph he did not do well, but he only shot 12 times. However as a freshman he was the highest % on the team with 1 exception and that was JP. He shot 48%.

After Josh's problem and he realized he would have to step up his offense he shot 13/21 from the 3 pt line. His other FG% is sweet also. WHY wouldn't Few Start 1 of the best shooters on the team.
    The answer is hidden in there - Pendo doesn't take (or force) bad shots.

I think that's his greatest asset - and when it comes to the last-second shot, I think of all the Zags I've seen (starting in '94) Pendo is alongside Ammo for players I have the most confidence in their clutch shot ability.

He may not start, but he's a closer.

My guess is that Pendo comes off the bench but gets similar minutes to most of the starters. The thing I wonder is what position Pendo will play. We're pretty stacked at the 3. Will he be at the 4 with Josh and Theo? He could also play some 2 if we needed. I think it'll be interesting to not only see how many minutes he gets, but at what positions they come. My bet is curently he plays the most at the 4 behind Josh (or if Josh is playing 5) and also gets some minutes at the 2 occasionally, depending on how quickly Gray comes along (Bouldin and Pargo can't both play the whole game every game).

I love Pendo, having had classes with him, and I absolutely love his heart and determination. The problem is, he can't play the 5, the 2 or the 1. This leaves the 3, where we're loaded, and the 4, where he's undersized. I'd guess that he might begin the year as a starter, but wouldn't be surprised to see him lose PT as guys like Daye, Davis and Sacre round into form - and don't forget Ira and LG. The problem is that this team is so talented, it's going to be tough for anyone to get big time PT - they'll have to earn it the hard way.

After how he filled in at 5 last season vs Memphis, I think you should say "we shouldn't have to ask him to play the 5" not 'he can't." And what's wrong with Pendo at the 2? He'd have problems defensively if the opposing 2 is quick, but with our shot-blocking talent this year, that shouldn't be as big an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bigparb View Post
    David Pendergraft will be the heart and soul of this years team...period!!

Now that I got that off my chest, I've got to say that I get disgusted when just about everynight I log on to this board and see someone talking about the "starting five" or the great mismatches we'll be able to force with our variety of athletes, and they completely neglect to mention Mr. Pendergraft.

Pendo will, and should, get 25 mpg and he will be on the floor late in the game when IT matters. You heard it here first!!

We all understand that Pendo may not jump as high, he may be a step slower or an inch shorter, but you cannot measure heart or the intangibles of basketball IQ and knowing how to win with a stopwatch or a measuring tape. Pendo is a winner, he is Mr. Gonzaga and he will be our leader of last resort this year!!

For those of you who want something tangible to chew on, I point to the 6 game stretch Pendo had after Josh was suspended, between Memphis to the WCC title game against SC. Pendo's line was as follows:

6 games--28.7mpg; 13ppg; 5.8rpg; 2.0apg; 1.5spg; only 1.2tpg; FG%-66.7%(30-45); 3FG%-59%(10-17)

Why he only played 19 minutes against Indiana is beyond me......

Now, I'm just as excited as the next guy when I look at the caliber of kids(my apologies to Ira, as he is clearly a Man) that we've got coming in, however The Bottom Line is that before you get too drunk on the freshman Kool-Aid, let's not forget Pendo.
    And that's exactly the way David likes it: to be overlooked, under-rated, etc. It motivates him. Opponents dismiss him more. The last thing Pendo wants is to be ballyhooed. It speaks volumes for this team when Pendo (and LG) are rarely mentioned, and Pendo prefers it that way. We all know he's the leader now, and what he'll do to help his Zags win: everything.

Good post.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

I think Pendo has a legit shot at the next level. Now getting drafted may be a different story, but I think he could make a team in the NBA. His game reminds me of (even though I don't care for him to much) is Robert Horry. Clutch shooter, above average rebounder, sets good screens, takes good percentage shots and hustles all over the court. Basically does all the small things that get lost at the next level. Plus with his frame I truly think he can play at the next level.

Never know, GU could be like Florida and win the National Championship and end up having 3 players drafted in the first round next year.

I agree Pendo will do anything for the team and no one has forgot about him. Truth be told, he is a bench player on this team and any team in the top 30. His leadership is invaluable to this year's team. I don't see him getting 25mpg (outside of Pargo, Heytvelt and maybe Bouldin, I don't see anyone getting those minutes). He's a great player but he's limited. He's a great spark off the bench and personally I think that's where he's most valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I agree Pendo will do anything for the team and no one has forgot about him. Truth be told, he is a bench player on this team and any team in the top 30. His leadership is invaluable to this year's team. I don't see him getting 25mpg (outside of Pargo, Heytvelt and maybe Bouldin, I don't see anyone getting those minutes). He's a great player but he's limited. He's a great spark off the bench and personally I think that's where he's most valuable.
    I agree with you cggonzaga. Pendo is a great cheerleader and brings a lot of fire to the team, but he just doesn't have the skill that the other players do. I think he will be a starter at the beginning of the year like PMAC last year. But also like PMAC, I think he will disappear for long stretches of games as the year go on.

Wow, I'm a little surprised that many of you feel that way. I think Pendo will start every game he's healthy. Anyone want to start a poll?

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Pendo is a great cheerleader.
    Ummm... WT... Ummm ... I hope Bobzag's theory on underappreciation holds here and motivates. I'm not going to be the one handing him pompoms.
    Agent provocateur

Hmmmm? Limited? Go ahead under estimate the Rooster from Brewster. He is the best 6'6" 5 I've ever seen. He is the heart, the soul and moral fiber of next years team. Few will control his minutes but I'd take Super Zag over any body else on the roster when the game is on the line.

GO!! ZAGS!!!

Default Few plays his seniors

No matter where he is, Pendo's presence and leadership will strike the central tone, methinks.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

John Havlicek.

Default Thank you Pendo for posting this

I love it when players post!

Quote Originally Posted by BilboZaggins View Post
    Thank you Pendo for posting this

I love it when players post!
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Apparently I missed some games last year. Where does all this Pendo is clutch stuff come from? Because he hit the three against Memphis you're calling him clutch? I consider clutch being someone who consistently knocks those shots down ala Ammo. Not just the game winners but the big shots down the stretch of a game. Many games last year he wasn't even in there at the end. Don't get me wrong, Pendo is one of my favorites but I don't consider him a star like some of you make him out to be. He's definitely not playing in the NBA like someone suggested. This year's team also isn't last years. There's a very high talent level this year that if some live up to their potential others i.e. Pendo, will be out of playing time. We're playing for National Championships now not just WCC championships. Pendo is the consumate Zag and we'll always need those types of players. Just don't make them out to be something they're not.