Thread: Clash of the Titans?

Default Clash of the Titans?

I can only imagine how "spirited" (bloody) some of the practice sessions are going to be this year. Frankly, some of the team mates the kids line up against in practice will be more talented than a number of the oppositions starters. Having played behind an All-Stater for two years in H.S, before I got to start, I can still remember the cut lips, black eyes, floor burns, and yes, square-offs. We all loved scrimmaging the starters and hearing the Coach praise us and get all over them. When Rob & Wil get after it, it should really help both of them, wish I could see it.
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

Default Downs, Daye

The real fun is going to be seeing Downs and Daye go at it in practice. I continue to say this....how many D-1 college teams over the last 10 years can legitimately say that they have had two 6-8+ wings on the same team that are anywhere near as talented as these guys are? It rarely happens at this level. It's hard enough getting a single wing player on your team that's 6-8 - the average wing in college is between 6-4 and 6-6. Gonzaga has the luxury of having a 6-8 wing and a 6-10 wing.

BTW...let's pray that no major injuries happen between the official start of team practice to the first game of the season. That kind of thing has become too much of Gonzaga tradition the last few years.

I agree with HillBillyZag when he says:

"Frankly, some of the team mates the kids line up against in practice will be more talented than a number of the oppositions starters."

I would even take that statement one step further and state that the Zags second team could very likely be the second best team in the conference. Back in UCLA's heydey, it was often stated that their bench was the second best team in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by finechina2003 View Post
    I would even take that statement one step further and state that the Zags second team could very likely be the second best team in the conference.
    If the "second" team started all year, then it too would likely roll through the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by finechina2003 View Post
    Back in UCLA's heydey, it was often stated that their bench was the second best team in the nation.
    And their Freshman team was the third best....
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

You hit the nail on the head CDC. Imagine the luxury of having a Burger Boy vs a Five Star (who should have been a Burger Boy) gunning for the same position! And to make it even more rediculous lets add "monster" Ira Brown as a 3rd (?) for the position - Triple YIKES!!!

Ira had a tip-jam the other day that looked a lot like what Erroll used to do so well. Ira can really get up. He'll be a factor in many games.

If Few wanted, he could go--

Pargo
    Bouldin
    Downs
    Daye
    Heytvelt

or...

Pargo or Bouldin
    Downs
    Daye
    Heytvelt
    Kuso or Sacre or Theo

It isn't really either/or with Downs and Daye. It'll depend on how physical the opponent is, or if the other team is slow or fast.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

BZ, you know on this board you're going to get all sorts of hate mail saying that Pendo's not going to start. BTW, I totally agree with you, although I do see him getting 15-20 minutes/game early in the season and that diminishing through the season as the young guys get more experience.

Quote Originally Posted by azzagfan View Post
    BZ, you know on this board you're going to get all sorts of hate mail saying that Pendo's not going to start. BTW, I totally agree with you, although I do see him getting 15-20 minutes/game early in the season and that diminishing through the season as the young guys get more experience.

There was a game last year when I saw a hobbled Mallon going up and down the court against Memphis, and I kept pondering, "Sheesh, Foster or Burgess or anybody please. A limping Mallon will not get it done in this tight game."

And for the same reasons Mallon played throughout that entire game, we will probably see Pendo alot as well...just a guess. Further, if you like to "pick n pop", I doubt anyone on the team can set a pick as well as Pendo. We will see how it pans out

No hate from me on the subject. May the best players win.

Edit: After reading this again, it just doesn't seem like enough of an endosement for Pendo. I believe he is as important to this team as any other player. This orginal post had more to do with why I believe Few will play him than what we collectively believe. The trust factor is definately there. Pendo will carry out the game plan as expected and be a leader doing it.
    Last edited by MickMick; 06-19-2007 at 04:15 AM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by UberZagFan View Post
    If the "second" team started all year, then it too would likely roll through the conference.

And their Freshman team was the third best....
    In Kareem's freshman year, the freshmen beat the varsity team handily...and that was just months after they had won the national championship.
    Go Zags!!! Just Foo'in around.