Thread: Vandersloot Named WCC Player of the Year For Third Year In a Row‏

Default WCC post season Awards

Congrats Courtney, Katelan, Kayla, Janelle, and Coach Graves.
    Gonzaga University received a pair of individual honors after claiming its seventh-straight West Coast Conference women’s basketball regular season title and the top seed in the WCC Tournament, as senior point guard Courtney Vandersloot was named the Player of the Year for an unprecedented third year in a row and head coach Kelly Graves took home the Coach of the Year honor for the second year in a row and sixth time in his career. Vandersloot was also named to the All-Conference team for the fourth-consecutive season.

Along with Vandersloot, junior classmates Kayla Standish and Katelan Redmon were also named to the All-Conference squad for the first time in their careers. Rounding out the honors for the Bulldogs was senior Janelle Bekkering who was named WCC honorable mention.

“I am thrilled for these four players,” stated Graves. “I am happy they got recognized for their achievements. They all are skilled, athletic, play well together; it’s a tribute to them.”
    With Vandersloot claiming the Player of the Year award, a Bulldog has now won the award six of the last seven seasons. Besides Vandersloot, Heather Bowman won the award in 2007-08, Stephanie Hawk was the recipient in 2006-07 and Shannon Mathews won the award in 2004-05.

“With Courtney’s selection of Player of the Year for the third year in a row, it solidifies her legacy perhaps as the greatest player to have played in the conference,” explained Graves. “To achieve something nobody else has, it is difficult to think that somebody else will. She is truly deserving of this honor.”

Vandersloot is a big reason why the Bulldogs lead the nation in scoring offense at 86.2 points per game. She leads the NCAA in assists for the second-straight year, dishing out 9.9 assists per game and also led the West Coast Conference with 18.7 points per contest, which is currently 27th in the country. Along with leading the nation is assists, she also leads the country in assist-to-turnover ratio (3.19) and is 18th in steals per game (3.0). She became the fourth player in NCAA history to pass out 1,000 assists in their career, currently totaling 1,048. Vandersloot was named WCC Player of the Week four times this season, tabbed Player of the Month for November and January and has 15 double-doubles to her credit.

“There are a lot of deserving players and it is an honor to have been picked,” stated Vandersloot after hearing she had been named Player of the Year. “I couldn’t have done it without my teammates and coaches.”

Standish finished the regular season with a well rounded campaign. She closed out the season ranked second in conference in field goal percentage (55.4%) and blocks (1.8), fourth in scoring (16.7), fifth in rebounding (8.7), and eighth in free throw percentage (78.1). Standish also had 10 double-doubles on the year and was named WCC Player of the Week twice.

Redmon, last year’s WCC Newcomer of the Year, ended the season ranked first in the conference in field goal percentage (55.5), second in scoring (17.4), ninth in rebounding (6.2), 10th in assists (2.4), and 14th in steals (1.4). She scored double-figure points in all but two contests, was named WCC Player of the Week twice and the WCC Player of the Month for December.

Bekkering ended the year seventh in the league in field goal percentage (49.6), fifth in 3-point percentage (37.0), 10th in 3-pointers made (44), 11th in steals (1.5), and 14th in points per game (11.3). Bekkering drained a career-high five 3-pointers at the University of San Francisco, Feb. 19.

Graves guided the Zags to a perfect 14-0 mark in conference play for the second-consecutive season and third in seven years, a 26-4 record during the regular season and 30-straight regular-season WCC victories.

Rounding out the WCC yearly awards was Jazmine Jackson of Pepperdine who was named Defensive Player of the Year and Camille Buckley, of Loyola Marymount University, who was named Newcomer of the Year.

The remainder of the All-Conference squad includes Dominique Conners (San Diego), Natalie Day (Portland), Lena Gipson (Santa Clara), Jackson (Pepperdine), Jasmine Smith (Saint Mary’s), Louella Tomlinson (Saint Mary’s), and Renahy Young (Loyola Marymount).

Also earning honorable mention was Candice Nichols (Loyola Marymount), ReZina TecleMariam (Portland), Tara Cronin (Portland), Sam Child (San Diego), Kelly Jo Mullaney (San Francisco), and Meagan Fulps (Santa Clara).

The All-Freshman team consisted of Buckley (Loyola Marymount), Alexis Byrd (Portland), Danielle Maudlin (Saint Mary’s), Robie Mayberry (Pepperdine), and Ricki Radanovich (Santa Clara).

2011 ALL-CONFERENCE TEAM
    Name S chool HT P YR Hometown
    Dominique Conners USD 5-8 G JR Oceanside, Calif.
    Natalie Day POR 6-0 G/F JR Germantown, Md.
    Lena Gipson SCU 6-0 F RSR Hanford, Calif.
    Jazmine Jackson PEP 5-9 G JR Oakland, Calif.
    Katelan Redmon GON 6-1 G/F JR Spokane, Wash.
    Jasmine Smith SMC 5-8 G RJR Pinole, Calif.
    Kayla Standish GON 6-2 F JR Ellensburg, Wash.
    Louella Tomlinson SMC 6-4 F SR Melborne, Australia
    Courtney Vandersloot GON 5-8 G SR Kent, Wash.
    Renahy Young LMU 5-8 G SR Torrance, Calif.

HONORABLE MENTION
    GON: Janelle Bekkering; Loyola Marymount: Candice Nichols; Portland: ReZina
    TecleMariam, Tara Cronin; San Diego: Sam Child; San Francisco: Kelly Jo Mullaney; Santa
    Clara: Meagan Fulps

2011 ALL-FRESHMEN TEAM
    Name S chool HT P Hometown
    Camille Buckley LMU 6-1 F Ontario, Calif.
    Alexis Byrd POR 5-10 G Las Vegas, Nev.
    Danielle Mauldin SMC 6-0 F Hercules, Calif.
    Robie Mayberry PEP 5-11 F San Leandro, Calif.
    Ricki Radanovich SCU 5-10 G Diablo, Calif.

COACH OF THE YEAR
    Kelly Graves
    Gonzaga
    PLAYER OF THE YEAR
    Courtney Vandersloot, Gonzaga
    5’8” • Senior • Guard

Defensive Player OF THE YEAR

Jazmine Jackson, Pepperdine
    5’9”• Junior • Guard

NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR

Camille Buckley, LMU
    6’1”• Freshman • Forward
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

I saw the team play 2 games this year in the bay area. In person she's even more impressive than by stats alone. CV is so good she deserved to win the award twice - this year!

I hope the team can make a run in the NCAA's so other across the nation can enjoy her play for a few games.

(Congrats to the other Zags as well!)
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Default Gongrats to the entire program and Gonzaga AD!!

I think 'Sloot is the WCC womens player of the Decade. I wish there was such a thing.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Like someone, somewhere said recently about Few & the WCC COY award, they should just name the Women's POY award after CV.
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Default Totally.

Quote Originally Posted by lothar98zag View Post
    Like someone, somewhere said recently about Few & the WCC COY award, they should just name the Women's POY award after CV.
    It would be quite an honor and she deserves it.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Expected but still amazing for CV.

Kudos to all the Zags.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Default Yep, we knew it

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Expected but still amazing for CV.

Kudos to all the Zags.
    Sloot knows it took sure hands, correct position and a shooting touch to make an assist count.

Redmon and Standish have to be on their toes for each one of her lightning passes. I mean, her no-looks are sick, and it is a testament to the teams chemistry and thousands of hours working together in the offseason to be such a well oiled machine. I think they could run many of the plays blindfolded.

As usual, we may not have the physical poweror physical post presence, but we will see some defenders ankles breaking trying to stop 'Sloot in the Dance this year. I'm praying for the 10 seed in Spokane.

I saw John Stockton in college, and I believe CV is even better.....its too bad the men's team gets all the attention....the Ladies are very special and have a very special leader...

Thumbs up

Congratulations to Courtney Vandersloot, Kayla Standish, Katelan Redmon and Janelle Bekkering. Plus, Coach Kelly Graves. These honors are all well deserved.

Go Lady Zags!!!

OT: Thanks to the Mods (Lothar?) for straightening out my posting on this thread earlier in the day.

Default True!

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I saw John Stockton in college, and I believe CV is even better.....its too bad the men's team gets all the attention....the Ladies are very special and have a very special leader...
    But the ladys are building steam. Losing Sloot will hurt because it will be impossible to follow her mind numbing stats, but attendance is the highest in the league and according to Section 116, here: www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=33269

The ladys attendance is more than all WCC schools combined. COMBINED. Wow.

Well lets hope we can get someone to replace Sloot and give our other guards like Winters and Schick the support to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    But the ladys are building steam. Losing Sloot will hurt because it will be impossible to follow her mind numbing stats, but attendance is the highest in the league and according to Section 116, here: www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=33269

The ladys attendance is more than all WCC schools combined. COMBINED. Wow.

Well lets hope we can get someone to replace Sloot and give our other guards like Winters and Schick the support to try.
    Well, first of all,... It is impossible to replace 'Sloot. I say that from the perspective that each person on this earth is unique. But the good news is that there is another unique person already on board that can bring to the court her own unique talents and skills.

That would be Haiden Palmer.

The future looks bright.

She the transfer from Oregon state?

Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    She the transfer from Oregon state?
    Yes.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    I watch both as well and completely agree. She will not be replaced, but I do think Palmer will be very solid. She started as a freshman and was a bright spot on a beleaugered OSU squad.

Jazzy showed good progress this year and will only improve at the point next year. The two may play side by side which could be very interesting.

Default My bad,

Quote Originally Posted by spudzag View Post
    I watch both as well and completely agree. She will not be replaced, but I do think Palmer will be very solid.
    Obviously she cannot be replaced. Alas, semantics. I hope everyone knows what I meant to say. Don't Zags have mind reading abilities between ourselves?

Not to diminish her current success, but I HOPE in the future, we can someday find someone who surpasses her statistically, is that OK? I probably have a better chance at winning the lotto. But it doesn't hurt to hope.

If I offended Oregonzagnut I apologize, was definitely not my intention. I try to make positive comments and definitely try not to offend other posters. I agree with all your comments!