Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Steven Gray the greatest "Zag" ever?

Default Is Steven Gray the greatest "Zag" ever?

A lot of people outside of the GU fanbase don't understand what it is to truly be a "Zag." They think we judge our players based solely on their performance on the hardwood. However if I was asked who a real "Zag" was, I couldn't think of a better example of someone who epitomizes what it means to be a Zag better than Steven. He was a truly special player and we were extremely fortunate to have him for these four years. I wouldn't trade him for any player to put on that uniform before he did.

When he was at LMU my sister asked him for a picture after the game, and although he was with one of his old high school friends, he stopped and was more than glad to flash his signature smile for a huge Gray fan. Thank you Steven, for everything.
    Last edited by Zag@LMU; 02-28-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Ronny still holds aces in my book.

That being said, Steve truly took to heart what it means to get a Jesuit education.
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Nice post Zag@LMU.

Thanks for sharing what you could have chosen to be a completely private family moment.

Default In this modern era

I think most of us would have a hard time with quantifying that. For me I have about 5-6 guys who have typified the qualities we value as Zags.

So I go with a 5 way tie between Steven Gray, Ronny Turiaf, Blake Stepp, Brian Michaelson, and Dan Dickau.

Personally Jeff Brown comes to mind pre-1999. So many guys came before and did so much without ANY publicity like our guys get now.

Plus Jeff Brown was a Playboy All-American so he gets my vote. Lucky guy.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    I think most of us would have a hard time with quantifying that. For me I have about 5-6 guys who have typified the qualities we value as Zags.

So I go with a 5 way tie between Steven Gray, Ronny Turiaf, Blake Stepp, Brian Michaelson, and Dan Dickau.

Personally Jeff Brown comes to mind pre-1999. So many guys came before and did so much without ANY publicity like our guys get now.

Some of those guys were before my time really. Being from Eastern Wa I always cheered for the Zags, but I never really understood the whole meaning "Zag" until about the Ammo/Raivio days.

One of my favorite memories of Gray was from this famous game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSRSBui-uo&NR=1

The foul happened right below my feet (and it was a legit foul). The absolute definition of clutch foul shots.

I spoke with Steve after the game, and he didn't think that second one was going in. He was so relieved. It was his first really big moment in a Zag uniform. He wanted so badly to come through for his team.

I know it sounds cliched, but he's the kind of guy who you would want your daughter to take home to a family dinner. He's that kind of person. He has that kind of depth. And I don't say that about every guy who wears the Gonzaga uniform.

Just wondering, what's your definition of "Zag?"

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Just wondering, what's your definition of "Zag?"
    To be honest, I dont know if I could define it in words.

Maybe someone else can help explian it.
    Last edited by Zag@LMU; 02-28-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks for posting that link, CDC. A great Zag moment.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

The foul happened right below my feet (and it was a legit foul). The absolute definition of clutch foul shots.

I spoke with Steve after the game, and he didn't think that second one was going in. He was so relieved. It was his first really big moment in a Zag uniform. He wanted so badly to come through for his team.

I know it sounds cliched, but he's the kind of guy who you would want your daughter to take home to a family dinner. He's that kind of person. He has that kind of depth. And I don't say that about every guy who wears the Gonzaga uniform.
    Kind of off topic a little, (with all due respect to our great Senior Steven Gray), but as I looked thru some of those Youtube highlights- I got caught up in the one when we beat Stanford in double OT. With our current bigs, I could sure use the "problem" of having Pargo and Ravio in our backcourt for the rest of the season! That game Pargo- 23 pts, Ravio-23 pts., Heytfelt 12 pts and 12 rebounds! No wonder as Zag fans we've become so spoiled!!! (no complaints here) (-:
    Back to now...Thanks for the great memories Steven. Those two clutch free throws your freshman year to enable us to win a lost game was just a hint of what you would bring to Gonazga. You will be missed but never forgotten!
    Last edited by 2wiceright; 02-28-2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spell..

Quote Originally Posted by Zag@LMU View Post
    To be honest, I dont know if I could define it in words.

Just take the opposite of Austin Daye and there you go
    -1, boooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon_zag View Post
    -1, boooooo
    Haha sorry man, I loved Austin on the court as a player, but, and I never had any interaction with him individually, but he seemed to be a bit immature and I think that his involvement with the recent Detroit Piston "protest" scandal shows that he could have used some of the fine tuning that helped make Steven who he is today.

Look at all that talent on the floor! Josh, Steven, Jeremy, Matt, Austin......it's a FF lineup talent wise. Didn't deliver but wow.what talent.

There are several amazing Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Look at all that talent on the floor! Josh, Steven, Jeremy, Matt, Austin......it's a FF lineup talent wise. Didn't deliver but wow.what talent.

There are several amazing Zags.
    Battle in Seattle 2008...probably the most fun I have ever had watching GU lose. Anyone there can probably remember every second of that game.

From Pargo's ill-advised pass, to Daye throwing that inbounds pass off the UConn passer, Thabeet getting his 4th foul...

Man, what a game.

Default Where does gray rank....

All time GU guards

1 Stockton
    2 Dickau
    3 Santangelo
    4 Stepp
    5 Bouldin
    6 Pargo
    7 Frahm
    8 Gray
    9 Hall
    10 Raivio

Thoughts?
    No sense in playing an in-state rival if you have to eat lopsided defeats. It's just like the great Athenian orator and statesman Demosthenes once said -- and I'm paraphrasing -- it's better to be called a chicken and not lose to Gonzaga than to be called brave and get blasted.

- Parrish, CBS Sportsline 12/11/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Zagquette View Post
    All time GU guards

1 Stockton
    2 Dickau
    3 Santangelo
    4 Stepp
    5 Bouldin
    6 Pargo
    7 Frahm
    8 Gray
    9 Hall
    10 Raivio

Thoughts?
    Which Stockton do you have at the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post

Pre-1999, one has to include Frank Burgess for what he accomplished on and off the court.

A bright future is ahead for Steven. I'm looking forward to see how his life progresses.

Just like many subjective topics, I don't think there is any right answer in particular as people value different concepts and have their own particular favorite players. The only wrong answer would be bashing any of the players.

I think of different ideal Zags throughout this past decade:

Nobody said Few so far, how could that be? A coach that has truly made his mark at this school and when many jump ship from the mid-major conferences to the BCS, he has grown comfortable with community and I believe he truly loves the support.

Ammo was the ambassador to the nation for the Zags.

I think Ronny and Gray have been the best ambassadors for remaining in school and developing during the course of your education.

Raivio was the embodiment of loving basketball and showed it is all about hard work and practice. Maybe he could come back and teach how to shoot FTs.

However, when I hear the term 'Zag', I immediately think of Pendo. Truly scrappy, gets the job done, and could put up some surprising numbers. So much emotion and so supportive of his fellow players.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Not sure any one player mattered more for the 4 years he was here than Matt Bouldin. He was the x-over from what was to what is. We were a rudderless ship this year until they learned to play without him.

Steven needed Matty... but learned to play without him. Steven handled a lot of adversity this year (W/L, down 3 in the WCC, injuries, etc) and handled himself with grace for 4 years on some pretty awesome basketball teams (as well as off the court).

Sounds like a great Zag to me. The greatest? Tell you what - this team gets to an EE, then yes - greatest Zag ever.

Default Greatest ZAG ever......

Not sure you can limit that description to a single individual, so many variables come into play. I will say this about Steven though, he belongs in the discussion. His offensive numbers are comparable to 5 previous Zag greats (DD, Stepp, Raivio, Bouldin, Pargo) but the thing that sets him apart (not necessarily ahead, but apart) is his defense. IMHO Steven is the best defender of the six players considered here. He consistently drew the oppostion's best wing threat and was very effective on both ends of the floor.

I also love the fact that Steven committed himself to every aspect of the ZAG experience, from the arts, to the humainities, to athletics. He is definitely a fine ambassador for GU, up there with many others, including many non-athletes.

For me personally, the greatest ZAG will always be Pendo. He did everything on very good teams, always played out of position without a word, scrapped and hustled and rebounded and everything else asked of him, as well as a lot of things that just came from his heart.

I will really miss Steven, he makes me proud to be associated with the University.

Go ZAGS

There is no greatest Zag ever, its a contradiction in terms, being a Zag means team first, not an individual - so if you speak of great Zags there has to be a cluster and ANY cluster under Zags has to have Ronny, Pendo, Steven, Stepp, Santangelo, Calvary . . . there are about 10 MUST haves under the "great cluster" - I doubt anyone could argue about the players I put up there and there would be several others that I am leaving out - - - but it is really beside the point, once you have been annointed a Zag (and not all players really were) then you are among a group that really can't be defined further.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Wow, you really have little idea about how good Bouldin was for the team either. Notice the drop off this year, as well as the lack of drop off last year.
    I'll take Bouldin as being clearly a top-10 GU Guard every single day though., but sorry Mal, the data doesn't back up your assertions about the overall team performance.

There were huge drops in efficiency from '09 to '10 on both offense and defense. Then post-Bouldin, this year's team's offense is about the same (with a slight drop-off), but significantly better on the defensive end than lat year's.

2011 Efficiency ratings (rank)
    Off - 109.9 (58)
    Def - 91.3 (30)
    Overall Rank - 36

2010 Efficiency ratings (rank)
    Off - 110.6 (47)
    Def - 94.7 (66)
    Overall Rank - 57

2009 Efficiency ratings (rank)
    Off - 118.4 (5)
    Def - 90.5 (18)
    Overall Rank - 7

That being said - least year's team was better from the beginning of the year, but didn't improve as much.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

The image of Matt S saluting the crowd after the NCAA effort against UConn was a definition of Zagdom.

Default He's a player.....but the WCC and NCAA Tournament may define him

I’m not sure where Steven Gray will rank in the greatest players in Gonzaga history, but I believe he will be in the discussion when it’s debated. To me that’s pretty good company! The thing that is remarkable about Steven is that he has been a consistent player and a team player from the get go. Listening to him during the raw video interviews on KREM one can see an intelligent and articulate young man that will be a success in life in whatever endeavor he chooses and a credit to the University. We’re all lucky we got to go to Gonzaga at one time in our lives and a lot of us graduated from this great school. As a result, we were given the skills and attributes to be pretty successful ourselves. For that, I’m grateful and I continue to support the school with gifts and certainly the basketball team with an intensity that my wife and two daughters find bizarre and funny at the same time! I’m a Gonzaga basketball fan through and through. I’d like to see us win the NCAA tournament one day; hopefully before I meet the Lord again. Seriously, I think this year is as good as any! I think our team is peaking at the right time, and I don’t see any “super” teams out there that we couldn’t beat, given the right circumstances. I think Steven will be all fired up at the WCC tournament and I believe he will lead us to even greater glory in the NCAA!

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

Thanks again for letting me use the 2nd half of your pair of tix to that game so I was able to have the best view in the house of that foul. I do forget - did we have 2nd or 3rd row seats?
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011