Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Jerseys ;)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,315

    Talking Jerseys ;)

    Just for fun-

    I remember at the USF Craig & Heister asked how many jerseys have been retired well of course 2. My question is who's jersey would you like to see in the rafters ?

    Also I was wondering is there a specific reason why we don't do the names on jerseys ?
    "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
    -Kevin Pangos-

    "You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,849

    Default

    #3 Adam Morrison.

    Why? POY for college basketball....spokesman for Diabetes....success against incredible odds.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    7,491

    Default

    To this day, I am amazed that Jeff Brown's number has not been retired.

    He was the conference player of the year and won the award as the top overall player/student in the country.


    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    To this day, I am amazed that Jeff Brown's number has not been retired.

    He was the conference player of the year and won the award as the top overall player/student in the country.


    He was also on the PlayBoy Magazine All American Team -- the only issue of the magazine my wife has ever let me buy!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim77 View Post
    #3 Adam Morrison.

    Why? POY for college basketball....spokesman for Diabetes....success against incredible odds.
    A big plus 1. Morrison was the best player in college basketball the year he left.
    Bring back the OCC

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sutpen's Hundred
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim77 View Post
    #3 Adam Morrison.

    Why? POY for college basketball....spokesman for Diabetes....success against incredible odds.
    Respectfully disagree. The honor of a retired jersey should be reserved for those who hold degrees from GU.

    Now if he comes back and finishes, like Turiaf, then he can be in the conversation.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Sutpen View Post
    Respectfully disagree. The honor of a retired jersey should be reserved for those who hold degrees from GU.

    Now if he comes back and finishes, like Turiaf, then he can be in the conversation.
    Should we get rid of the Bing Crosby Museum then?
    Bring back the OCC

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    7,205

    Default

    1. how well the person played while in college
    2. what the player contributed to the college atmosphere while on campus
    3. how the player represented GU while attending
    4. what the player contributed to society after leaving GU
    5. how the player represented GU after leaving the college scene


    Both Burgess and Stockton clearly have set themselves apart both as players and individuals in the game of basketball as well as LIFE and their contribution to society.

    To me that is the framework for having your uniform hanging from the walls of GU
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sutpen's Hundred
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Should we get rid of the Bing Crosby Museum then?
    Yes. His statue should be toppled and broken into little pieces, which should be buried throughout Spokane. All references to him should be excised from school records. All monies collected from him directly or from anyone who has ever seen his statue or museum should be returned. The Crosby Student Center should be burned to the ground; this should take place at night so that we can dance around the flames while screaming "Bing who?"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim77 View Post
    #3 Adam Morrison.

    Why? POY for college basketball....spokesman for Diabetes....success against incredible odds.
    like another poster said, he doesn't even have his degree from GU.......and is his success in basketball really considered "success against incredible odds" because of his diabetes? I don't know a whole lot about diabetes but I know people who have it and it appears that if you are on top of things it is very managable.
    I am working on being a more all around square.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edgewood, WA
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Morrison left early, or I think he'd be a no-brainer. He could have been our first two time All-American, would have easily had the all-time scoring record, and the teams he was on won a ton of games. But he left early, so ...

    Dickau came late, starting his career at the UW. He was awesome while he was here, but I think retired jersey status should be reserved for 4 (or 5) year guys that have a major impact on an individual season and works their way up our career leader boards. That leaves the most likely candidates as:

    1. Blake Stepp, career: top 10 scoring, top 5 steals, and #2 in assists. His junior season was one of the most dominating all-around performances by a GU player ever (we sometimes remember him for his senior season, which was very good, but it was his junior year that he was special).
    1,670 career points, 501 rebounds, 640 assists, 152 steals

    2. Matt Bouldin, career: top 10 scoring, top 2 steals, and top 5 assists. His junior season was incredibly efficient on both the offensive an defensive ends. His junior statistics are not eye-popping, 13.8 points, 3.4 assists, 4.1 rebounds, 1.5 steals, but his tempo-neutral offensive rating was 119.9 (Adam Morrison, Dan Dickau, J.P. Batista at their best type of number). Additionally, the 444 assists are remarkable considering he was never the primary guard at GU playing the #2 or #3 beside Pargo and Raivio for most of his time.
    1683 career points, 534 rebounds, 444 assists, 170 steals

    3. Ronny Turiaf, career: top 5 scoring, top 5 rebounds, #2 in blocks. Turiaf had three seasons where he averaged better than 15 points per game. Besides bringing energy to the court, he brought personality and an aggressive attacking style near the hoop. He was also an elite defender that blocked shots as well as anyone not named Daye or Calvary.
    1723 career points, 859 rebounds, 179 blocks.

    4. Casey Calvary, career: #1 shot blocker, top 10 rebounder. Calvary may get bonus points from me because he was part of the Elite 8 run and gave us the interior athleticism to match up with major conference teams. And this was at a time when no one thought we had the talent or players to do it (I think sometimes we forget how shocking/and fun our Cinderella season was on the basketball world). However, he did put together solid career numbers and at least one great statistical season.
    1512 career points, 757 rebounds, 207 blocks.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edgewood, WA
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    like another poster said, he doesn't even have his degree from GU.......and is his success in basketball really considered "success against incredible odds" because of his diabetes? I don't know a whole lot about diabetes but I know people who have it and it appears that if you are on top of things it is very managable.
    You don't know anyone who isn't on top of their type-1 diabetes because if they aren't, they are dead.

    I don't know if "incredible" is the right word, but it is at least "remarkable" to someone that has represented many diabetics seeking work place accommodations. In sports, the opposition doesn't accommodate you and the stats keepers don't discount a poor performance because you were having problems with your medications/treatment.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,458

    Default

    I'm still not sure why graduating from Gonzaga is so important for getting a number retired. The cream of the crop, best ever to play at GU are going to have opportunities to move on to the next level before their senior year. I have no problem with them doing that. As I stated above, he was the BEST player in college basketball. I don't think that anyone who played at Gonzaga has ever done that before (maybe Burgess but I don't know a whole lot about his career). He was to college basketball what Jimmer is this year.

    Diabetes are very difficult to control depending on the person. I have a nephew who has to take shots and track his blood sugar constantly. It has definitely affected his ability to compete in high school basketball. I have a friend with diabetes who has been unable to control his disease and is currently receiving Kidney Dialysis. He has had close calls where the doctor wanted to amputate limbs. I think trivialization of diabetes is not fair to the many people who suffer from this disease.
    Bring back the OCC

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Logan Neighborhood, represent!
    Posts
    1,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    He was to college basketball what Jimmer is this year.
    No, he wasn't. He was to College Basketball what JJ Reddick was the same year.

    I love Mo, I think he represents spokane well. The good, the bad and the ugly. That being said, you have to be better than that as a person for me to support retiring your number. By retiring a number, you're saying "There will never be another like you" but if you look at college basketball, there's always another Jimmer, JJ Reddick, Adam Morrison, Nolan Smith, etc. What you do to represent yourself after you leave GU both professionally and personally to cement your legacy is the important part and what sets you apart from "Just another "best" college basketball player in X year.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Sutpen View Post
    Respectfully disagree. The honor of a retired jersey should be reserved for those who hold degrees from GU.

    Now if he comes back and finishes, like Turiaf, then he can be in the conversation.
    Turiaf did come back and finish...
    D.F.T.B.A

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    You don't know anyone who isn't on top of their type-1 diabetes because if they aren't, they are dead.

    I don't know if "incredible" is the right word, but it is at least "remarkable" to someone that has represented many diabetics seeking work place accommodations. In sports, the opposition doesn't accommodate you and the stats keepers don't discount a poor performance because you were having problems with your medications/treatment.
    I ask because I do not know...what work place accommodations does a Type 1 diabetic need?
    I am working on being a more all around square.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    No, he wasn't. He was to College Basketball what JJ Reddick was the same year.

    I love Mo, I think he represents spokane well. The good, the bad and the ugly. That being said, you have to be better than that as a person for me to support retiring your number. By retiring a number, you're saying "There will never be another like you" but if you look at college basketball, there's always another Jimmer, JJ Reddick, Adam Morrison, Nolan Smith, etc. What you do to represent yourself after you leave GU both professionally and personally to cement your legacy is the important part and what sets you apart from "Just another "best" college basketball player in X year.

    very good points
    I am working on being a more all around square.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I'm still not sure why graduating from Gonzaga is so important for getting a number retired. The cream of the crop, best ever to play at GU are going to have opportunities to move on to the next level before their senior year. I have no problem with them doing that. As I stated above, he was the BEST player in college basketball. I don't think that anyone who played at Gonzaga has ever done that before (maybe Burgess but I don't know a whole lot about his career). He was to college basketball what Jimmer is this year.

    Diabetes are very difficult to control depending on the person. I have a nephew who has to take shots and track his blood sugar constantly. It has definitely affected his ability to compete in high school basketball. I have a friend with diabetes who has been unable to control his disease and is currently receiving Kidney Dialysis. He has had close calls where the doctor wanted to amputate limbs. I think trivialization of diabetes is not fair to the many people who suffer from this disease.
    Why has your friend been unable to control his disease? Medication not taking effect?

    I am in no way trying to make diabetes seem pedestrian.....if it comes across that way I apologize.
    I am working on being a more all around square.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sutpen's Hundred
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just A Zag View Post
    Turiaf did come back and finish...
    I meant "and finish like Turiaf did." Sorry if I wasn't clear.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    7,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    1. how well the person played while in college
    2. what the player contributed to the college atmosphere while on campus
    3. how the player represented GU while attending
    4. what the player contributed to society after leaving GU
    5. how the player represented GU after leaving the college scene


    Both Burgess and Stockton clearly have set themselves apart both as players and individuals in the game of basketball as well as LIFE and their contribution to society.

    To me that is the framework for having your uniform hanging from the walls of GU
    Jeff Brown meets all five criteria. He was the epitome of class on and off the court while at Gonzaga and has excelled in his professional life after school.

    Retire his number.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    very good points
    It takes time to cement that legacy....something diabetics don't always get much of.

    I worked with a fella who was type 1 who was in his mid 30's...he use to check himself numerous times during the day. Despite that his blood would go low occasionally and you could tell cause he'd get confused and lrthargic. I'd slowly sit him down and hold his head up so he would not smack his head as sometimes he'd go into convulsions before the medics would arrive. It probably happened 8 or 10 times in a 2 year span....one night he didn't wake up.

    I hope Adam NEVER has a problem but, with diabetes there are no guarantees. The fella has guts...give it to him while he's young so he can enjoy it. #3 is truly a special player and I can say we will NEVER see another like him. I also thing Jeff Brown and Ronny are worthy recipients.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,458

    Default

    After rewatching the Decade of Excellence video I would like to add a few names to my list:

    Matt Santangelo
    Casey Calvary
    Dan Dickau
    Blake Stepp
    Ronny Turiaf
    Adam Morrison
    JP Batista
    Derek Raivio
    Jeremy Pargo
    Matt Bouldin
    Bring back the OCC

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    920

    Default

    Morrison without a doubt - he was player of the year, nuff said.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Ronny Turiaf played for 4 years, was an outstanding player for 3 years, and a WCC POY. Talk to anyone who was on campus when Ronny was around, he was the pinnacle of what a celebrity college athlete should be. He represented the program better than anyone in my mind except for Pendo.
    He also has had a great pro career at the highest level.
    I think we should se his number retired around the time his NBA career ends.

    The bar is set pretty high with Burgess and Stockton. It's hard to pick a third name to match that group. Ammo has the stats at the college level, but he is not really "legendary".

    One name that really should hang in the rafters is a guy that doesn't wear a jersey.
    Mark Few

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FieldHouseFishHouse View Post
    Ronny Turiaf played for 4 years, was an outstanding player for 3 years, and a WCC POY. Talk to anyone who was on campus when Ronny was around, he was the pinnacle of what a celebrity college athlete should be. He represented the program better than anyone in my mind except for Pendo.
    He also has had a great pro career at the highest level.
    I think we should se his number retired around the time his NBA career ends.

    The bar is set pretty high with Burgess and Stockton. It's hard to pick a third name to match that group. Ammo has the stats at the college level, but he is not really "legendary".

    One name that really should hang in the rafters is a guy that doesn't wear a jersey.
    Mark Few
    Nice post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •