• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zaggeist
    Redshirt
    • Nov 2007

Steven Gray

While Marquis Carter has received lots of accolades for his performance last night, let us not neglect to give credit where credit is due to senior leader Steven Gray, who was playing in his last game in K2. Steven did have the game high 19 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals against only one turnover. I think Steven, in his quiet way, has taken very seriously his responsibility to guide the ZAGS to an eleventh conference title and NCAA appearance. It was Steven, if you can remember back to 2008, who enabled the ZAGS to tie with Santa Clara with that remarkable last second play when he made the two foul shots at the end of the game, enabling the ZAGS' conference winning streak to continue at that time. Steven has performed quite well for the Zags these past four years, and they will miss his contributions next year.
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

I for one did not appreciate how much he has been dedicated to rebounding until I saw the SCU game; he is rebounding hard as demonstrated by the 6 last night. Strangely enough, in some games where Hoff has gotten significant minutes, he goes up hard and gets some boards.

I think we take Steven's threes for granted, mostly because he cannot string enough in a row to get everybody real excited, but it seems like every game he comes up with one really needed.

Shooting is contagious, just a sports psychological fact, when Carter lit himself up in the early second half, it was followed by a three from Meech and one from Gray. I really hope that the confidence they have gained travels to Moraga with them. We need Steven to lead with composure and tough baskets early. Though we have the momentum, SMC will be a very angry team, if we can get a jump on them and get them questioning their confidence, again, we can take advantage of their sagging play.

I will cry like a baby on Senior night, seeing Steven standing alone on court, what a great young man, he will succeed at whatever he chooses to do - we have been lucky to watch him for four years.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• soccerdud
      Zag for Life
      • Jul 2009

i will also miss steven and agree with all the nice things you've said about him. however, he still has CSB at the end of the month. last night was merely the last conference game at K2, not the last game overall.

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by zaggeist View Post
        Steven Gray, who was playing in his last game in K2.
        Last WCC game... not last K2 game.
        History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• zaggeist
          Redshirt
          • Nov 2007

Sorry about that... yes, the last conference game in K2, but not his last appearance there...

Comment

• gamagin
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

+1

good thread. re shooting: it's amazing what can happen when the open man shoots the ball. The trey was not invented in Moraga. It is practiced everywhere, every day.

But you gotta take the shot in the game. We seem to have FINALLY reached that conclusion, at least more often than not.
            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• Just_An_Old_Zag
              Kennel Club
              • Mar 2007

Maybe Steven's last home game should be paint the Kennel Gray night and everyone should wear a gray t-shirt with a black knight design on the front. In some ways Steven has appeared to me to use his Gonzaga years in search of his holy grail as he never seemed to find basketball his be all end all pursuit. And let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things thas probably a good thing.

He seems to be smiling more of late, I hope he is enjoying every moment as his collegiate career comes to a rapid(but hopefully not too rapid end).

Comment

• gamagin
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

+1

Originally posted by Just_An_Old_Zag View Post
                Maybe Steven's last home game should be paint the Kennel Gray night and everyone should wear a gray t-shirt with a black knight design on the front. In some ways Steven has appeared to me to use his Gonzaga years in search of his holy grail as he never seemed to find basketball his be all end all pursuit. And let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things thas probably a good thing.

He seems to be smiling more of late, I hope he is enjoying every moment as his collegiate career comes to a rapid(but hopefully not too rapid end).
                well said. thanks.
                Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• Bocco
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I agree with you that Gray has been playing a lot better the last couple of games, and I believe it is precisely becuse of the emergence of Carter. Carter's presence has taken pressure off of Gray and allowed him to slide into a role on this year's team more like the one he has had pervoius years.
                  The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Comment

• Mantua
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

Agree!

Originally posted by Bocco View Post
                    I agree with you that Gray has been playing a lot better the last couple of games, and I believe it is precisely becuse of the emergence of Carter. Carter's presence has taken pressure off of Gray and allowed him to slide into a role on this year's team more like the one he has had pervoius years.
                    The combination of Carter and Stockton has freed up up Gray and Meech to make good contributions.

I will really miss Gray's charisma. What a fun kid!
                    Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• DZ
                      Zag for Life
                      • Sep 2007

Like many other old Zags, I am sure that Steven will remain a close friend of the program and contribute to helping the young ones along.

Would not be surprised if he stayed in Spokane - or went to Hollywood.
                      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                      Mark Twain.

Comment

• DADoZAG
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2009

This seems like a bit of a premature topic, SO I'LL JUST IGNOR IT 'TIL APRIL!!!

Have a nice day,

and go zags.
                        Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

• Reborn
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by DADoZAG View Post
                          This seems like a bit of a premature topic, SO I'LL JUST IGNOR IT 'TIL APRIL!!!

Have a nice day,

and go zags.
                          Seems quite appropriate to me. He did have a really good game last night, and could have easily gotten the player of the game honor if Carter hadn't lit the fire last night. Gray's contributions to the Zags have been huge, and like you say, I will wait to expand on this more after we see him all the way to the end of his career, which may be several weeks away. I will say, however at this point, that Steven Gray has had a bigger challenge than Matt had last year. Try to imagine how Bouldin would have done without Steven Gray last year, as well as an injured and much more ineffective Elias Harris. The challenge for Gray and Sacre was tremendous, and its nice to see others who appreciate what he has done. Steven has been one of my all-time favorite Zags, and I am sure that his best still lies ahead of him, and I am excited to follow it.
                          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                            • Mar 2008

SG is simply a stud, who is comfortable with who he is. I for one am going to sit back and enjoy whatever the remaining season gives to me to watch him on the court as I will truly miss him come May........that I do know
                            The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2008

I hope this isn't an overly simplistic point, but there is a reason why there is usually a player designated as the PG, the SG, etc. Gray is really good at the things he is good at, and was being asked to do some things he isn't consistant with before the emergence of Carter. You can look at at this way: he was trying to do thiss year what it took Matty B. and him to do last year, which proved an impossible and thankless task. He has made the 3 spot and area of strength, instead of weakness over the past few games. He still has a chance to improve upon an already fine legacy.

Comment

Working...
                              X