Thread: With SMC's loss, if it wasn't before,

Default With SMC's loss, if it wasn't before,

the WCC is now definitely a one bid conference. I think that if Gonzaga had won out and SMC only lost the WCC tourney championship game, both could have went. Not now.

Winning out for Gonzaga in league play will be a nice warm feeling and winning the league would be a great accomplishment as always, but this year, the winner in Vegas plays on, the rest go golfing.

Nice year to have tickets, should be a fun.

.........or go play in the stepchild tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by ronh_pm View Post
    the WCC is now definitely a one bid conference. I think that if Gonzaga had won out and SMC only lost the WCC tourney championship game, both could have went. Not now.

Winning out for Gonzaga in league play will be a nice warm feeling and winning the league would be a great accomplishment as always, but this year, the winner in Vegas plays on, the rest go golfing.

Nice year to have tickets, should be a fun.
    I disagree. SMC can lose in the conference title game and will get an at large bid, barring any further losses.

It will be interesting to see what the bracketologists say about SMC now.

Not sure about that. I think it is a one bid conference. SMC really doesn't have a quality win but until last night they did not have a bad loss, now they have a bad bad loss, plus the sheen is off and has been for a couple of games.

Zags are looking a little better, but they have to win the tournament. Should be real fun. See my thread below about everything in front of them.

I think SMC could get in if they lose in the Conf title game. They cant lose anymore though.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Not sure about that. I think it is a one bid conference. SMC really doesn't have a quality win but until last night they did not have a bad loss, now they have a bad bad loss, plus the sheen is off and has been for a couple of games.

Zags are looking a little better, but they have to win the tournament. Should be real fun. See my thread below about everything in front of them.
    Take a look at their resume. They have a win over RPI#16 St. John's. They have another game against RPI#25 Utah State. They also have a good road win over Gonzaga (RPI#69). Their RPI is 39, about 30 spots higher than the worst RPI ever to receive an at-large.
    Right now, SMC is in. They have to win a few more games, but winning the WCC tourney is not a requirement.
    Beating Utah State and Gonzaga (at home or in Vegas) again will put them in the tournament, barring losses to other WCC schools. I would even say that if they met GU in the WCC semis and lost, they would be in.
    This is why the RPI was invented, SMC is getting the best of the computer numbers this year.

I want SMC to lose twice more to the Zags, don't get me wrong. But I have to look at this objectively...This year, with 4 extra spots and a VERY weak bubble, SMC is pretty solidly in.