Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Griz beat UCLA

Default Why they play the games

Three days ago UCLA suffered a wrenching a point loss to #4 Kansas at Kansas.

Tonight, the Bruins returned to the "friendly" confines of Pauley Pavilion.

Surprise.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=303390026
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Default Hats off to the Griz

Congrats to "Little Wayne" Tinkle who is doing a real nice job at UM. Also to Brian Qvale, the Griz big guy who just gets better every season.

Even at home! With Ben coaching!!...it happens... 4 th loss! OMG!!! It can't be happening! OMG!!!. But they're always so good!! OMG!! Sissys.

Here's the LA Times' story:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,2885751.story

The eye-catcher quote: "Nevertheless, Howland said this season was not starting to remind of him of last season, when the Bruins lost six of their first eight games and went on to finish with a losing record, 'because these guys like each other.'"

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Default weak

Turning to schadenfreude is a weak and ultimately unfulfilling compensation for one's grievous disappointment.......

Go griz!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Turning to schadenfreude is a weak and ultimately unfulfilling compensation for one's grievous disappointment.......
    Agreed...but seeing high-level programs like UNC and UCLA go through their share of ups and downs is a good reminder of just how difficult it is to maintain consistent success.

Anyone suffering grievous disappointment about the Zags at this stage of the season either has harbored unrealistic expectations or is a drama queen of the first order.

Go Griz!

Default true

Quote Originally Posted by zagfaninmt View Post
    Anyone suffering grievous disappointment about the Zags at this stage of the season either has harbored unrealistic expectations or is a drama queen of the first order.

Go Griz!

true, but check some of these threads....

Default My Griz!

Bright spot in a season of tough challenges for our Zags. I have two teams I root for...Guess which two!

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I marvel that you bring this up since it seems to be your tack after (imo, too) many GU games. But you are right about it being "weak and unfulfilling. . . "
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

We DO have a game in 48 hrs. A good team. No more whining about anything!!

i hate ucla.

GU Class of '07

Interesting factoid. The local LA TV announcers (when the weren't criticizing UCLA's poor performance) told the following story: many, many years ago UCLA wanted "Grizzlies" as the team mascot name but U of Montana was already called the "Grizzlies" and somehow sued to preclude UCLA from using it. So UCLA became the "Bruins". True story according to the announcers.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Bright spot in a season of tough challenges for our Zags. I have two teams I root for...Guess which two!
    Montana State?

Default confused

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    I marvel that you bring this up since it seems to be your tack after (imo, too) many GU games. But you are right about it being "weak and unfulfilling. . . "

gam, u got me. i honestly dont recall gaining personal comfort after a bitter zag loss by relishing in the misery of other programs......that doesnt work for me.....

Is the mascot of the U of California not The Golden Bear? Is the Golden Bear not the very same bear as the Grizzlie?

Default Golden Bear

from Wiki http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_bear

Taxonomy

There are several Brown Bear subspecies.

* Species Ursus arctos
    o Eurasian Brown Bear (Ursus arctos arctos)
    o Siberian Brown Bear (Ursus arctos beringianus); Siberia
    o Golden Bear (Ursus arctos californicus) †
    o Atlas Bear (Ursus arctos crowtheri) †
    o Gobi Bear (Ursus arctos gobiensis); Mongolia
    o Grizzly Bear (Ursus arctos horribilis); Canada and United States

and Oski the Golden Bear, of course; and yes, tis the season, so I included the Stanford Tree. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Western Montana School of Mining? and Little sisters of the poor Seattle.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    Montana State?
    HA, you funny! Well, truth is I root for anything Montana, home of my heart. Go Cats too!

Hondo....Grizzly is a "Silvertip". Golden bear is a bottle of honey or something. Clearly what Grizzlies EAT!

Lady Zag Shannon Reader's little brother is a frosh for the Griz. Good for him.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Default Montana

Not sure why we are talking about Montana. Although some of my best dorm-mates were from Montana, especially at Roncalli in 1972 - 74. And come to think of it, one of my favorite freshman was from Montana. She lived on the 3rd floor of Madonna and she was beautiful and very intelligent and knew the meaning of just about everything except as I recall she did not know the meaning of the word "no". Or so it seemed. God I love Montana.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Would liked to have seen Josh Smith in a Zags uniform. Wonder if he's happy about his choice to be a Bruin so far.

Hey 75Z - I knew that gal (spurs and all), main reason I moved to Montana after finishing at GU. Congrats to the Griz.