Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Point Legends - Continued

Default Three Point Legends - Continued

Is it defensive scheme? Is it "bad luck?"

We seem to be on the receiving end of career, three-point shooting games more than most. Perhaps it is a function of following and caring about GU more than other teams, but does this happen to other schools with this sort of frequency?

58% from behind the three line with 11:21 to go in the second half.

Default Ouch.

ESPN did a little highlight reel at the break, showing the barage of 3's. There was one shoot with a defender in the picture. Ouch...

Defensive scheme. It is Few's biggest weakness.

The fact that it happens year after year, team after team, player after player is a sad commentary on Few's unwillingness to admit that it is a weakness and do something about it.

For the record, I believe this is my 1st comment that is officially critical of my beloved head coach.

But I have reached my tipping point.

Default Tough Match-Up

Sacre is not athletic enough to guard the smooth shooting 7 footer.

Default Justification

I've always justified the high 3 pt. percentage by assuming that you guard the high percentage, inside shot, and you give a little on the lower percentage outside shot. However, I haven't seen a lot of inside threat out of Illinois, so perhaps we jump the outside and invite the inside????

It's a repeating occurance, year after year, therefore it must be scheme. I understand protecting the paint and the basket but seriously, it is ridiculous. Same thing year after year.

Just as Coach Few refuses to foul in a last second 3pt chance, he has said he'll take his chances with the 3pt.

There is a reason we have a pretty solid 2pt defense, but a porous perimeter defense.

We've given up 12+ three's a couple times this season. That is just gross and the reason we're losing these games.

Sad, really.

Weird to see us dominate on the boards and lose by 10+ pts...why? Because we can't defend the perimeter.
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

The college 3 point line is not that far away....

Yup this game was lost to the 3...

I'm now a fan of getting rid of the 3 point shot.....

there must be something fundamently wrong with Few's system. There is no way we can continually be the 3-point haven for other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    Sacre is not athletic enough to guard the smooth shooting 7 footer.
    Sorry, that's garbage. You see Sacre pop out on PG's at top of key on the hedge and he moves just fine.

Defense is about effort and it simply isn't something GU puts much emphasis on. One thing I did see was a toughness that wasn't there in the KSU game and they battled the boards better.

Default few

sacre and meech played as good as they can play, which was good; harris was streaky good; gray was just dead....this one is on few and on the overall talent level of his recruits. carter? and i was so wrong on kelly; he's a major disappointment. but few just doesnt coach d and he has the leash on too tight all game. since no media ever asks him a mildly critical question, we will never know. great guy, c plus game coach.

The 3-point shooting thing is something Zagco has harped on for years now. It is mind-boggling. At this point, it simply has to be schematic or something that is just not emphasized at all in practices.

The lack of three point defense would have made sense more with the type of personel the zags had back in the 90's. Those guys would have loved shooting matches. With this group, the strategy should be to challenge the other team to attack the interior. Its obvious to most here, but i've never heard it mentioned in the mainstream sports media.
    Agent provocateur

It's a scheme thing which is why it happens year after year but on nights like this when everyone is hitting you just have to give it up to Illinois for shooting lights out. In the CBB game the 3pt game can seriously affect the outcome and tonight was one of those nights. Moving to the pro 3pt line would clean up a lot of this but frankly I think the Illini would have hit just fine from there as well. Just a ridiculous, streaky, and lucky shooting performance by that group.

I would bet money on the Zags to beat that group about 7 out of 10 times.

Few states that it's hard when 4 out of 5 defenders are in the right spot and 1 isn't. Then he blames practice, or lack thereof. Also, Tisdale was 2 of 7 from 3 before today on the season. Still no excuse for leaving him open like he was.

Picked that tidbit up from Jim Meehans twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by btzag View Post
    You have to be drinking major kool-aid to say something like this. The Illini are clearly a much better team.

Default Illinois shot lights,

for the same reason every other team "happens" to shoot lights out against the ZAGS. It's because the shooters are so wide open they can catch the ball, gather themselves, square up, and shoot uncontested. Teams kill us from 3 because they are so wide open it is an easy shot. We can't defend the 3 because we don't contest the 3. Until we fix the scheme, we are going to see this again and again, like we have for the past decade or more.

Go ZAGS

We will get a first hand look on how to defend the perimeter against WAZZU on Wednesday night.

Anyone watch Butler hang with Duke for awhile today? That team fought through foul trouble, injury and cramps until Duke finally pulled away.

Butler is an excellent team to watch execute good perimeter defense.

So what was it that SMC and Portland specialize in again?
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by btzag View Post
    I'll take that bet... As engineer said, you must be hittin the kool-aid hard this year.

Should we fire Few and the entire coaching staff, release all scholarship players and make it go with just walk-ons. Is that what I am hearing? A team shot better than they historically do, and better than the season stats would show. Should we do better defensively? of course. Give the guys razors and they could hamstring the opponent. Just kidding, of course. You have to choose your poison...or kool-aid.
    I think this team will finish the season fine, make the NCAA's and probably make the sweet 16. With a break here or there, could go farther.
    Let's not dump everybody just yet.

Ray G was brought in to fix the D right? Again, rebounding was solid with good effort. There was a noticeable difference there but oh that 3pt defense is just horrendous. I think part of the problem is a lack of athleticism for guys to man up with little help. Inevitably someone gets beat and the kick it out to the help defenders man who pop's the 3. Disappointing.

Someone mentioned Kelly - I think it was Jazz. He was right on - major disappointment. He's a big strong kid who plays like a 5' 8" dude on the block.

If you TIVO the game, go back to the Illinois run on threes and you will see what Coach was talking about....Harris man hit at least 2 if not 3 3's in a row, all because Harris was out of position in his rotation on defense (way too deep on his help and unable to close out in time because of it on the ball reversal)

It was those that "broke" our spirit. Up to that point it was still a game.

I saw alot of positive .......we were 0-8 in three point shooting the first half....and still in the game

We had Meech sitting for the majority of the first half and we were still in the game

we had Gray with what 2 points at half time and 5 points with 11 minutes to go in the game and we were still within striking distance

I am seeing constant improvement and as I have stated all along as soon as Harris gets healthy and in shape we will be just fine in my book.

I see a tighter and tighter rotation coming up in next 2 weeks and I see this team shaping up and peeking in time for the Memphis game which will give us a truer baramoter of this teams cohesion and play

*Glad to see that some are starting to see and understand the value that meech brings to the table.......was VERY evident today from my viewpoint

SIDE NOTE: Had BLUE HAIR "BIG ED" show up in the suite and all the kids loved taking pictures with him.....AWESOME thank you for stopping by