Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The News Tribune's Write-up/Steven + Zags

Default The News Tribune's Write-up/Steven + Zags

Pretty much about Coach Few being focused on Steven being focused. (Had forgotten the Zags entered last season unranked.)

:]

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/1...of-leader.html
    Last edited by Kiddwell; 11-09-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Oops! Just realized this's been posted already.
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Steven is the key to this season. He's got the talent to be and 18 ppg kid. His defense is strong. He's got the athleticism to be a great one.

Elias comes along nicely and adds a few ppg to go with 9 rpg, we'll have two Bona Fide AA's. Steven's undervalued. Highhopes for him...if he gets his shooting form back. On any night, it's not a stretch for him to put up 25 pts. He needs consistency. Let's hope he has a killer season. Could use a haircut This "predator" look....well...

Wink

Oh, Abe, c'mon... Correct me if I'm wrong. Aren't you the poster who perennially harps on the need for the Zags to "get tougher", "get a mean streak", "GET BIGGER", "get a killer instinct" etc, etc. And now you're down on Steven's "predatory" locks?

This is GONZAGA Abe. The very last bastion of unrestrained hair expression in all of the collegiate ranks. Let's see how much "stronger", "tougher", and "remorseless" this season's edition of the team is w/dreadlock Steven at the helm. Then, if it doesn't work out, and say, we lose the SDSU game, then, hell yes, I say shear him like an MCRD probie.

Wow. Steven finally said that he wants to be in the NBA next season.

Best news of the young season.

Default trajan

for some reason steven brings to mind trajan langdon of duke. he too was sort of an everyman who didnt quite make the mark he could have, but did well nonetheless....im proud of sg, if he averages 12 ppg he will have had a wonderful college experience (tho leaving a bit more on the table)...a class kid all the way.

Default Cut the kid some slack

It hasn't surfaced so much on this board lately and I don't mean to open a can of worms, but I've always been perplexed with the level of frustration and animus some have with Steven. The kid has never embarrassed himself or his school - unless one's close-minded enough to consider an athlete performing theatre embarrassing. He seems quite curious and introspective and I'd wager most of us would be proud to call him our kid. The problem is we come at this, and Few comes at this, as basketball people. And so we get our panties in a bunch that Steven has interests besides basketball and is so open about them.

Maybe Steven would have already been an All-American if he'd spent those stage hours in the gym. Then again maybe he'd never have made shots at the buzzer if he didn't have a calmness and confidence honed through non-basketball endeavors. I think everyone, including Few, should cut Steven some slack. Or if Few really thinks pushing Steven's buttons is the way to get the best out of him, perhaps find a better way to express it, because the way he's gone about it so far seems kind of petty to me.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    It hasn't surfaced so much on this board lately and I don't mean to open a can of worms, but I've always been perplexed with the level of frustration and animus some have with Steven. The kid has never embarrassed himself or his school - unless one's close-minded enough to consider an athlete performing theatre embarrassing. He seems quite curious and introspective and I'd wager most of us would be proud to call him our kid. The problem is we come at this, and Few comes at this, as basketball people. And so we get our panties in a bunch that Steven has interests besides basketball and is so open about them.

Maybe Steven would have already been an All-American if he'd spent those stage hours in the gym. Then again maybe he'd never have made shots at the buzzer if he didn't have a calmness and confidence honed through non-basketball endeavors. I think everyone, including Few, should cut Steven some slack. Or if Few really thinks pushing Steven's buttons is the way to get the best out of him, perhaps find a better way to express it, because the way he's gone about it so far seems kind of petty to me.
    I tend to agree. Steven is like the Angelina Jolie of the team: thespian, humanitarian, 40-inch vertical, 3 or 4 seemingly randomly adopted kids (jk, but it wouldn't surprise me if Steven hand feeds abandoned kittens in his free time.)

He probably has deferred leadership and 'spotlight' actions to other players - probably since he first walked on the floor at GU. He was an understudy, if you will.

Well, guess what Steven? You are headlining this show. It's not a one man show, it's an ensemble but they still need a leader. I think that's what Few wants from him.

If he wants the NBA (average good to excellent numbers each game and he gets drafted, I think) then he has to turn it on a bit...

I'd wager most of us would be proud to call him our kid. The problem is we come at this, and Few comes at this, as basketball people.
    +1 for your whole post, FuMan, but especially this portion.

It's hard for me to believe Coach Few's needling is helpful. Sometimes recently I've wondered whether communication between Coach Few and his players lately is top down only...

I also remember what Manny Arop said when he committed to Gonzaga:
    “Gonzaga is a Top 25 school and academically they have smaller classes so it will be easier to get to know professors,” Arop said. “Their coaching staff was nice. They’re interested in developing players and your character. They care about that more than basketball. That’s a place I want to go to because I want to become a better person to go along with being a better basketball player.”
    Looks like Steven is fulfilling that promise.

I can live with wildly inconsistent production from Gray as long as it falls within the range of 16-52 points.
    Agent provocateur

Just so we can stop trying to read between the lines... Reading e tea leaves... Consulting astrological charts...

Asked if he believes Gray is focused on basketball now, Few shrugged his shoulders and said, “I don’t know. I didn’t say he was out of focus.”
    Can we move on with our lives now? Maybe it is just me, but I would be very happy with a double digit scorer who leaves GU well rounded and not necessarily in the NBA than a kid that leaves with no sense of purpose in the world outside of hoops.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Default Couldn't Agree More...

+1
    He is one of the most outstanding young men I have ever encountered in the world of college basketball. A true class act.
    Colorado Zag Fan

ID ZAGFAN Guest

I come at this as a retired teacher/basketball person. I am overjoyed to see a young man who is able to devote himself to basketball and to utilize his other talents and excel academically.

I saw too many young athletes who put all their energies into football or basketball, thinking that would be their future and spent only enough time and energy on academics to stay eligible. When the athletics failed them, they had no skills to fall back on.

One of the reasons I support Gonzaga athletics is that they put a great emphasis on academics and on developing the whole person.

Congratulations to Steven for becoming a fine young man as well as a fine athlete.

ZaGranny

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    for some reason steven brings to mind trajan langdon of duke. he too was sort of an everyman who didnt quite make the mark he could have, but did well nonetheless....im proud of sg, if he averages 12 ppg he will have had a wonderful college experience (tho leaving a bit more on the table)...a class kid all the way.
    Umm, what? if he averages 12 points a game??? Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Steven average 13+ points per game last year? He will average somewhere in between 15 and 20 this year in his sleep.
    GO ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    It's hard for me to believe Coach Few's needling is helpful. Sometimes recently I've wondered whether communication between Coach Few and his players lately is top down only...

I also remember what Manny Arop said when he committed to Gonzaga:Looks like Steven is fulfilling that promise.
    I'm sure Few is also talking about this with Gray, but he just uses all avenues available to him to express his opinion. Also, several of those quotes looked suspiciously like things I've heard Few say in other venues (the Mark Few show, other articles) so I wouldn't bet that all of them were necessarily gotten specifically for this piece. Plus, being focused is part of being consistent and if there's anything Gray really DOES need this season, it's consistency.

Default my point

Quote Originally Posted by D Hark 2003 View Post
    Umm, what? if he averages 12 points a game??? Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Steven average 13+ points per game last year? He will average somewhere in between 15 and 20 this year in his sleep.

point was, EVEN in gray avgs ONLY 12ppg, for a variety of reasons (not all bad, he may become more of a distributor this year) he will have had a great career....ok?

Steven must channel his inner Tybalt. If he does, he'll be fine.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

It's a haircut he must get......

Default hair is strength

doc-hair is strength

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    It's a haircut he must get......
    The chant of old farts since the beginning of time.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Steven must channel his inner Tybalt. If he does, he'll be fine.
    Heck no! I don't want him out at mid-season!
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Heck no! I don't want him out at mid-season!
    It's all about the hate! Grrrrrrr.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    The chant of old farts since the beginning of time.

"Such a shame to cover that handsome face with all that hair"...what Abe's mom used to say when I was Steven's age. lolol..RIP mom..you were right. (again).

Smile

At the risk of being accused of caging a magnificent Free Bird, I tend to agree with MFew. And not specifically about a player this year. I see value, after 3 years of being Renaissance Man, of throwing yourself into something as hard as you can in an area where you have superior talent, simply for the educational and personal development aspects. For non-sports people as well. Just as a test of human limits. If not now in the educational experience, when?

Mark Few has standing here because of his realization that BB is not a life unto itself. He adopts that philosophy in his own life and with his staff. Not exactly a pauper, he still has forgone tons of money in practicing what he preaches. But at the same time, he has the wisdom of applying one's self vigorously at the proper time and place.

Having seniors dedicate themselves is not a new idea, and it is part of an old bargain. It allows coaches to 1. have role models beyond practice hours 2. have a motivating tool for underclassmen to overachieve for "the seniors." Really, BB101.

It's also a part of the giving-something-back-to-the-school tradition. Keeping the streak alive has huge monetary benefits to GU, and losing it introduces jeopardy. That's not something that a senior or two can be expected to carry alone, but someone who cherishes the school can't overlook it either.

Steven works hard in games, has received a well-rounded education, and has been a great asset to GU. Good luck with the season and beyond. It sounds like that Few is getting through to him a bit

I recall on the Mark Few show, Sacre said Steven worked very hard in the off-season. Maybe its just an assumption based on what seems to be a full plate of activities that Gray is not dedicated in his basketball development.

For the record, I have no idea how Gray or any of his teammates spend their time. As for his focus, he seems so relaxed, it may be difficult to tell if he's taking things too easy.

Nice post, seasontixholder. IMO, Few has a right to expect something from Steven. If nothing else, just a fulfillment of his abilities.
    Agent provocateur

I kinda think we give too much cadence to Coach Few's comments for the public. He is too good and experienced a coach to be giving the farm up to a reporter. He uses the media, not the other way around.

I think he uses the media to push players or give them props as for what he wants from them. I remember last year before the MSU game, we was down playing the game and giving the impression that they were going to be lucky to leave the building alive. The game showed a team that not only knew it belonged with MSU, but thought it should win. I am certain that they believed they could win and the impression that Few gave was for the media and not his players. Last year Few pushed Gray to be more a slasher and playmaker and Gray responded quite well. With a year under his belt in that new role, I suspect Gray will continue to shine.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.