4 3.85%
  • Meech

23 22.12%
  • Olynyk

3 2.88%
  • Someone else (who?)

3 2.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: - - - GUnit of the Game - - - (Southern Oregon Exhhibition)

Default - - - GUnit of the Game - - - (Southern Oregon Exhhibition)

Whatcha say?
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Gray played like he should have. No more, no less. He gets it.

Meech was a not so quiet 2nd.

The sexy choice is Dower. The popular choice is Gray.

The choice that gives the most optimism is Goodson. Being one that has admittedly lost confidence in him, I have to say that from a perspective of looking past the tree to see the forest, Goodson's play impressed me more than any other. The season depends so much on him stepping up.

He did in this one. Meech is my choice.
    I miss Mike Hart

Meech and Dower for me, hope they can do this against Kstate.....

Gray is GUnit of the game but agree that Meech showed so much that fans have to be most excited about his "authoritativeness" on display tonight. Dower is a close second in the "happy to see that" category.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Besides the regular guys that deserve it for a throw away game like this you've got to nod to the combination of stocton's passing and Hart's... heart. Those two must have done something right to get as many minutes even in this type of game.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGonzaga View Post
    NOTE: 24 minute max playing time.
    Note: Sam scored a point a minute. I feel better about the "Bold predictions" thread. I had him scoring 20+ at least twice this season.
    I miss Mike Hart

Default Gray Da Man

I'm happily excited watching this game. Sure it was against an NAIA team but we did a lot of things right...to begin with getting the ball to the post players...

He had an excellent game! He was a leader by example.

Meech played really well too! Made some really nice passes most because of his penetration on the break. Hit a nice three with good form and ball rotation.

All three big guys in double figures in points and Rob had ten boards, with KO and Sam right behind him.

Hart played very well too! Had at least five boards and three assists. He hustled every second he was on the court.

Keita is soooo fast...he plays great D. MM has game too and they will get PT.

Nice seeing Stockton play as he will get better and contribute in the future.

Keegan is probably the "Red Shirt" prospect. His feet seemed a little slow on D and he sure has a nice shot.

I saw three times where Coach Few was really upset with the Refs for not calling fouls underneath...thought he was after a Tech...I wonder what you guys saw courtside.

Marquise still getting use to D1. Defense is going to be a work in progress for him. I'm glad he hit the one three, it's a good feeling to hit at least one. He will be alright...

I was surprised at Manny's playing time but it must be because of his lack of effort during practice...which was stated several times on this board.

Is there a box score anywhere?

Didn't love what I saw tonight. Meech is my unit but no one blew me away. I am still unsure what we will have this season.

Try gametracker for some stats on Gozags.com

http://www.gozags.com/gametracker/la...&startschool=&

I'm posting from my phone...and the almighty iPhone won't let me view the GameTracker.... :-(

Thanks for the idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGonzaga View Post
    I was using game tracker from the official site WooHoo
    Can you post them then please
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

I didn't see the game. Did Stockton play better than his stat line? 3 pts 2 asst and 5 TOs in 15 mins doesn't seem to good against a team of this caliber.

G-unit goes to Meech IMO. Was the non start a wake-up call?

Default Expectations and hopes

I saw what I was expecting from Gray tonight. I saw what I was hoping for from Goodson.

Dower. His play made me feel more confident the Zags can handle taking it easy with Elias' shoulder.

Stockton made some great decisions. Kept his presence and knew where to go with the ball in traffic .
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Meech was a peach. Fine game.

:]

Scored a ticket and went to the game. My view from a very good seat:

Dower was my choice for best - always in the right place at the right time - definitely knows what to do with the ball when he gets it.

Before Sam got going in the second half I would have said Kelly was best. Much more agressive than last year and looked good.

They collapsed a lot on Rob but he was strong, quite adequate.

Hart had a very good game - lots of hustle, made some plays.

Meech looked improved. Carter was not bad and I think should improve with time.

Gray scored quite a few points and at times looked good. Other times, several bad passes and laying off his man who scored, kind of an occassional lack of intensity.

Manny had to be told repeatedly where to go on the court by whoever was playing point. Looked lost at times.

Stockton is less ready for prime time than any GU who played tonight.
    Last edited by roxdoc; 11-05-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Forgot Manny

Quote Originally Posted by TheBunnieRancher View Post
    Try gametracker for some stats on Gozags.com

http://www.gozags.com/gametracker/la...&startschool=&
    Thanks. I tried a couple of times during the game and couldn't get the gozags gametracker to hook up. That is the worst live stat tracker in the business, IMO.

Meech looked great out there to me tonight.

I'm voting for someone else, namely Few and staff for getting everyone a chance to play in the game.

Beyond that, I think we can take away 2 things from the actual play of the game.

1. Southern Oregon is an absolutely horrible basketball team.

2. Our team isn't quite ready yet. (12 turnovers in the 1st half vs. an absolutely horrible basketball team)

and

c. All stats vs an absolutely horrible basketball team are invalid by definition.

That is all.

Dower was awesome, that kid is going to put up redonkulous points this year. He's super quick getting the ball up to the basket It's automatic for him, and confusing for the defense, getting the ball up that quickly with the left hand. I'm very excited that he's only a FRESHMAN!!! Voting for Dower!!!

Gray looked confident, like he's ready to take over where Matt Bouldin left off.

Sacre was so so, I don't want to be too hard on him but I know he can play so much better. I'd really like to see him more aggressive, but at the same time the guards do need to get him the ball more. Come on Rob, you're a 7 footer playing against NAIA 6'8" guys, bang on those fools!

Olynyk looked alright, I think we will see him get better game by game this season.

Meech looked much better, kind of reminded me of his game against Davidson. But he definitely looked like he had worked hard on the areas of his game he needed to. Still doesn't look like passing is his most natural skill though.

Carter looked nervous, but like Olynyk, I think he'll get more comfortable game by game.

Stockton looked good for Stockton, but I just can't see him getting meaningful minutes this year, he looks like a boy amongst men out there. The only thing he does at a high level is pass, he made a really nice pass to Gray in transition, I hope Meech learns how to do that this season.

Overall the team looked a little hesitant, like they're still figuring each other out. Everyone looked very promising though.

Shake and Bake!!!
    Last edited by hockeyzag; 11-05-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Default Meech much improved

Sam showed a lot of poise and good hands.
    KO was hustling.
    Gray was a real workhorse.
    Sacre needs to pass out of a triple team instead of attempting a hook, and the team needs to learn how to pass to him.
    Harris did not look like he was on pain killers. Graced the bench.
    Mönninghoff (is the pronunciation of the first syllable of his first name like tha "a" in cat or in in ahhh?), Keita and Carter appeared to be making an effort to learn. They have good raw material.
    Hart was a real trooper.
    Stockton showed promise. (I disagree with roxdoc)
    Overall, the team looks like they are going after it, but need to keep up the effort. Still pretty rough.
    Hope Manny can wake up in practice.
    Last edited by Mantua; 11-05-2010 at 09:56 PM.

1. Carter and Monninghoff will contribute. Both were jittery at first, understandably so. Both did a lot of nice things. I watched them away from the ball a lot, and Carter is quicker on defense than on offense and covered his man quite well. S.O. had a group of pesky, quick guards that could create their own shots, so it wasn't THAT bad of a test.
    2. Manny is nothing but question marks. So-so D, and about 80% of where he was at the end of last year. Rusty, not trusting his foot, or out of sync? At the moment, quite a distance from being a starter. The only disappointment and hard to take after last year's promise.
    3. Harris warmed up and took some shots.
    4. Hart is a solid guy to have deep on the bench. He'll get more than garbage minutes. But when Harris comes back and if Manny gets untracked, the minutes will be rationed.
    5. Front line is a rock when Harris returns.

Keita in a couple of years could be a dynamite player. He might have better lateral quickness on the defensive end than anyone on the entire roster. His wingspan is insane, and I like his motor and speed in the open floor. He needs coaching and seasoning. He's still really learning the game.

Well, I guess I'm just optimistic. I love the way Meech ran the point tonight. He seemed a lot more in control of the offense than I've ever seen him.