Thread: Looks like Portland is going...

Default Looks like Portland is going...

... to have its hands full in next year's (2011) Cross Country Conference Championships. No more showing up with the B Team

BYU edges UP at Pre National Championships

http://www.gosycamores.com//pdf8/717149.pdf

While Portland shouldn't have any trouble winning WCC's tomorrow, I doubt they'll be able to do it with a true "B" team. My guess is they'll need to run 3-4 of their top 7 to ensure the individual and team title. I think this is probably the best field assembled at the WCC championships, and it will only get better next year with the addition of BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by Cush View Post
    While Portland shouldn't have any trouble winning WCC's tomorrow, I doubt they'll be able to do it with a true "B" team. My guess is they'll need to run 3-4 of their top 7 to ensure the individual and team title. I think this is probably the best field assembled at the WCC championships, and it will only get better next year with the addition of BYU.

Looks like lots of strong teams are going to compete and if UP doesn't bring enough of their better guys, they will be challenged. Their coach does in fact priorititze the race, though, so to be sure he understands the challenge and I would predict that Portland will continue their streak.

Next year? UP will still be strong, but I think BYU's only disadvantage will be course familiarity.

GU has a shot at 3rd or 4th, I think, with an outside shot at 2nd. They have a strong team and a very good #1 man in Boyle.

Cush, are you going to the meet?

Portland eeks out the win with mostly a "B" Team by only 7 points over USF.

Gonzaga finishes a very competitive 5th place, only 11 points out of 3rd. Third, Fourth and Fifth place teams were closely bunched in scoring.

Chris Boyle was outstanding as GU's top gun. He finished 4th overall and ran the fastest ever time by a GU Harrier with a 25:08 on the very, very difficult Crystal Springs 8k course. That's just shy of 5 miles on a very hilly course.

Hey f1d... I thought you might appreciate this UP XC ad... I think it's pretty clever, and very Portland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5aH27TU_Y
    Go Pilots!

Quote Originally Posted by PilotNut View Post
    Hey f1d... I thought you might appreciate this UP XC ad... I think it's pretty clever, and very Portland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5aH27TU_Y

Thanks for sharing. That is pretty funny.

It's also a scenario that has actually occurred on training runs I have been on and I'm sure for the Pilots team as well.

PS - I'm pretty certain I've been running on the trail where this was filmed.