• treehorn
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

‘Best Game Ever’ Broadcast Found in Bing Crosby’s Wine Cellar

‘Best Game Ever’ Broadcast Found in Bing Crosby’s Wine Cellar

By RICHARD SANDOMIR
    New York Times
    September 23, 2010

How a near pristine, black-and-white reel of the entire television broadcast of the deciding game of the 1960 World Series — long believed to be lost forever — came to rest in the dry and cool wine cellar of Bing Crosby’s home near San Francisco is not a mystery to those who knew him.

Crosby loved baseball, but as a part owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates he was too nervous to watch the Series against the Yankees, so he and his wife went to Paris, where they listened by radio.

“He said, ‘I can’t stay in the country,’ ” his widow, Kathryn Crosby, said. “ ‘I’ll jinx everybody.’ ” ...

Story Link
  • Birddog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Nice find TH, thanks.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• kitzbuel
      • Feb 2007

ESPN Story: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5611152

(Or at least the same story on ESPN, now that I have clicked on Treehorn's link!)
      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
      - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• 75Zag
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Oops

I started link @ Crosby Library on same topic. Wasted electrons, but a cool story. Saint Bing kept GU on the national map during the late 40s and throughout the 50s and 60s. I wish he could have kept the football program going, but I think that he and Fr. Dussault decided that it just didn't make sense to pour money into a small college program after the end of WW2. Imagine if GU had a decent football team in the 60s. We might be in the Pac10 instead of WSU.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
        Do not go gentle into that good night,
        Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
        Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• treehorn
          Kennel Club Material
          • Feb 2007

It's good to see a positive story about Bing Crosby in the news. I'm looking forward to watching the full game featuring Mantle, Berra, Kubek, Maseroski, Clemente and other greats.

Comment

Working...
          X