Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Folks, we have a keeper (and other stuff)

Default Folks, we have a keeper (and other stuff)

Marquise Carter has surpassed everybody's expectations and is receiving raves from people inside and outside the program. Very cerebral, mature and his skills have been one of the most pleasant surprises in the off-season. He's not the stereotypical Juco (gunner, ball hog, juke n' jive, me first, attitude, etc.), he does everything possible to make his teammates better, and he shoots it if the opportunity arises. In short, nobody was expecting Marquise to be as good as he is as soon as this.

Look for a whole new Kelly Olynyk this season, and he'll be notably better as the season wears on. By the time he is an upperclassman, he could be scary.

Sam Dower can put up points quicker than just about any big Gonzaga has ever had. It ain't always a picture of beauty, but he possesses an uncanny knack for putting the ball in the basket.

Monninghoff and Keita are doing very well, and one coach has high praise for both. This coach rarely has high praise for any player, so they must be really impressing him.

Lastly, but certainly not least, there is a bounce in the step of the staff, a positive feeling about this season's team and the potential that lies ahead. That was not the case last year. They know the schedule is stacked with difficult games and some WCC teams will be tougher than before, but they feel this team can handle it.

Less than two months to first game.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Any info on Hyland? I bumped into Blake Steppe this summer and asked about the summer scrimmages. He said Keegan was struggling a bit, but that was to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    Any info on Hyland? I bumped into Blake Stepp this summer and asked about the summer scrimmages. He said Keegan was struggling a bit, but that was to be expected.
    I only heard about who I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Marquise Carter has surpassed everybody's expectations and is receiving raves from people inside and outside the program. Very cerebral, mature and his skills have been one of the most pleasant surprises in the off-season. He's not the stereotypical Juco (gunner, ball hog, juke n' jive, me first, attitude, etc.), he does everything possible to make his teammates better, and he shoots it if the opportunity arises. In short, nobody was expecting Marquise to be as good as he is as soon as this.

Look for a whole new Kelly Olynyk this season, and he'll be notably better as the season wears on. By the time he is an upperclassman, he could be scary.

Sam Dower can put up points quicker than just about any big Gonzaga has ever had. It ain't always a picture of beauty, but he possesses an uncanny knack for putting the ball in the basket.

Monninghoff and Keita are doing very well, and one coach has high praise for both. This coach rarely has high praise for any player, so they must be really impressing him.

Lastly, but certainly not least, there is a bounce in the step of the staff, a positive feeling about this season's team and the potential that lies ahead. That was not the case last year. They know the schedule is stacked with difficult games and some WCC teams will be tougher than before, but they feel this team can handle it.

Less than two months to first game.
    Good enough to be the starting point guard good?

Default more depth

It all adds up to more depth at every position, from what I read. Last year my confidence in the outcome always sagged when the likes of Gibbs, Vilarino, Foster and (later in the season) Kong were in the lineup.
    There is one intriguing combination involving either an injury or poor performance, where Sacre and Gray sit and the lineup has Kelly, Harris and Dower, with Carter and Monninghoff.

Said long ago, Marquise DID WORK against Pargo when he visited during the Summer. Heard nothing but good things about him.

Great news about Carter. Spirit lifting news.

Any news on what position Kieta Mathis is going to play? I kinda thought all along that people were selling him a bit short.
    I miss Mike Hart

Thanks for the encouraging news, Bob.

One quote caught my eye:

That reminds me of J. P. Batista. . .
    Last edited by RenoZag; 09-11-2010 at 07:20 AM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Thanks for the news, BZ. Sounds good.

Thanks for the exciting update. Am anxious to see these guys in action.

SWZag

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

I can only hope this turns out like the msg we saw last year about this time when we heard that a kid named Elias had come in and really blown away expectations.

Super report, BZ.

Only 34 days until the first practice!

Very encouraging news, especially Carter. Go Zags!!

Default Butleresque?

Olynk-Dower as Hayward-Howard? One can dream.....

On Carter I have been hearing the same.

THANKS BZ!

It was great to hear the mix of what's happening behind the scenes.

I anticipated Carter to do well...he seems to be a very heady player with abilities. This sheds much light on the upcoming season.

Thanks BZ that is great news. Makes getting Battle in Seattle tickets today even more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by whatazag View Post
    I can only hope this turns out like the msg we saw last year about this time when we heard that a kid named Elias had come in and really blown away expectations.
    What What said!

I hear Keita is doing very well. I'll be the first to fess up and say I had major doubts about him to Gonzaga, and I still do, but I heard the opposite, that he could surprise us. Still from Missouri on him, though: Show me.

Just a note: Because Gray, Sacre, Harris, etc., aren't mentioned doesn't mean a thing. Time was limited.

Wow, is Wendy Nix suddenly super cute, or what? *ahem*

Thanks BZ. I think there are quite a few Zag fans who have been expecting what you reported about Carter. Some of us saw him play. I also feel that GU has had some very good JUCCO players. The most notable, JP Bautista. I have hoped Carter will be as good as JP. I remember Few telling us that he needed outside shooters this year, and his first get was Carter. I've always believed in Few and his ability to recruit. He has an eye for guys that many coaches overlook, and that is one big part of what has made Gonzaga successful. Recruiting is a huge piece of the puzzle, and I have always appreciated the off season reporting by people here on the board. I find it very interesting stuff. Carter is 6'4" which I bellieve is an excellent size for a pg. A 6'4" pg can see much better than a 5'9" player, and in this day of basketball there are so many pgs over 6'0" that it helps to defend some of the taller guards if you're 6'4".

I think one of the biggest concerns of fans about next season is the pg position, and this news BZ sends us helps to calm the doubt.

The news about Kelly really isn't news at all. Anyone who doesn't believe Kelly is going to be a start at Gonzaga, and is going to contribute this year in a much bigger way is just completely biased.

The news about Monninghoff and Keita is just great. This is the news that I've been looking for. I remember the early reports about Keita and his toughness and ability to play defense was very good news at that time, and I think it's being confirmed now by people who are seeing him play.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    That reminds me of J. P. Batista. . .
    Respectfully disagree... JP's touch was smooth and silky and rarely ugly.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

JP Batista would start for the Zags right now. He would likely be the leading scorer as well.

I'm gonna need a full season of high productivity from Dower before I start comparing him to JP.

I would be absolutely thrilled if Carter compared in relative quality to another Juco named TJ Campbell.

I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    I hear Keita is doing very well. I'll be the first to fess up and say I had major doubts about him to Gonzaga, and I still do, but I heard the opposite, that he could surprise us. Still from Missouri on him, though: Show me.

Just a note: Because Gray, Sacre, Harris, etc., aren't mentioned doesn't mean a thing. Time was limited.

Wow, is Wendy Nix suddenly super cute, or what? *ahem*
    I notice that you ignored my question.

Default yeah. me too

yeah, ive noticed too....surely BZer is hedging his bets.....

Who cares if the guy looks like a wrecked battle ship or silky smooth!!! He'll get the ball in the hole and get lots of rebounds doing it. Sam's a different play than we've seen in a while. By Jan, he'll be one to enjoy. He's bigger, stronger and has lots better skills than when he came to us at 18 yrs of age.
    I liked him from the start in 2009 Summer. PLUS...he has heart (something we need more of around here)....like some of our olden players.