Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Source says BYU leaving for WCC

Quote Originally Posted by SintoZag View Post
    This is great, I see more ESPN games!! We can worry about a 10th team down the road after Seattle U gets a few years of DI play under their belt.
    I don't think this is a long-term move for BYU. They'd like to be in a Big12-like conference; they could just be biding their time.

Default second that surk monkey

doubt this is long term---are we being used??? maybe we're ok with that

Of course the WCC is being used. But, it might make a little dough for awhile off the deal. Never trust BYU.

Default Some Questins Answered .. Via ESPN Article

Adding BYU is a major coup for the WCC, which is expanding to nine teams and adding a new member for the first time in 30 years when it added San Diego and Gonzaga. The WCC will increase its 14-game schedule to a true round-robin 16-game schedule for the 2011-12 season. The WCC will have to move the dates of its conference tournament, at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, since it is a Sunday semifinal and Monday final tournament. BYU is not allowed to play on Sundays.

The WCC now has a major presence in Spokane, Portland, San Francisco-Oakland, Los Angeles and Salt Lake City.

"This transforms the league with one move," said one source with knowledge of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by realtydog View Post
    doubt this is long term---are we being used??? maybe we're ok with that
    I don't know about being used, but I think that if BYU is invited to join the Big 12 or another BCS conference, they will bolt at the first opportunity. For now, this is good for them and good for the WCC.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

I'm so excited. This is the best possible news short of Gonzaga joining the Pac 12. RPI is only going to climb.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by SageOfZagville View Post
    Adding BYU is a major coup for the WCC, which is expanding to nine teams and adding a new member for the first time in 30 years when it added San Diego and Gonzaga. The WCC will increase its 14-game schedule to a true round-robin 16-game schedule for the 2011-12 season. The WCC will have to move the dates of its conference tournament, at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, since it is a Sunday semifinal and Monday final tournament. BYU is not allowed to play on Sundays.

The WCC now has a major presence in Spokane, Portland, San Francisco-Oakland, Los Angeles and Salt Lake City.

"This transforms the league with one move," said one source with knowledge of the situation.
    Evidently San Diego is too small to mention.

As for not playing on Sundays (vis a vis the WCC Basketball Tourney) -- it'll be tough -- but if I'm forced to spend an extra day in Las Vegas in March -- well, so be it.

Default Biggest Concern Regarding Expansion

What are they going to do about the WCC logo? If they just simply alter their current one, the star for BYU would be in like the middle of the "W". That would be madness!

I hope the WCC knew what they were getting into when they agreed to this move. It's looking like they may have to completely start from scratch. They are really going to need an artist and they need one fast!

Wow... I know we've been talking about this possibility on the board for a couple of weeks now, but I didn't think it would happen. I figured BYU would just stay in the MWC, even if it was just for the short term.

There must be some real animosity from the other MWC teams toward BYU for this to happen.

That being said, most BYU fans were fully in favor of the Cougars going indy in FB, even though that path seems quite risky to me....

Default Ditch

Ditch the hokey stars....just a nice clean type logo....we all know which coast the league reps...

If you are interested BYUTV (Channel 232 on Comcast) is having a live press conference Wednesday at 11am PDT. The following is from the Salt Lake Deseret News:

The university has scheduled a press conference Wednesday at noon. The press conference will be broadcast live on BYUtv. Viewing options for BYUtv include the basic tier on both Dish Network (channel 9304) and DirecTV (channel 374), and 500 cable systems nationwide. The press conference will also be streamed live on BYUtv at www.byu.tv.

Here is the link:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...er-sports.html

Woohoo, when it is noon in Salt Lake it is 11am in Spokane and 1pm in Missouri!

Default It's Official - BYU to WCC

Football will be Independent, all other sports to WCC. Link
    Last edited by SoCalZag; 08-31-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Forgot the link text

Default Let's hope

BYU makes the tournament every year as the WCC runner up. I would really like the WCC get two bids every year, and three some years, which is now a real possibility.

If this does not happen, we are just dividing up the tournament money 9 ways instead of 8.

Although I imagine ESPN may somehow make this pay as well, but not sure on that front. It looks like this was as much a battle between ESPN and Comcast as it was a battle between BYU, the WCC, the Mountain West, and the WAC.

With the Pac 10 and the WCC changing affiliations, what were formerly the #2 and #3 conferences behind the Ivy League in terms of continuous, unchanged composition have now gone to the back of the pack. (Pac 10 same since 1978; WCC since 1979).

The real question in this, however, is which schools Gonzaga drops from its home K2 schedule: do we drop the Michigan States and Illinois and Notre Dame games, or do we drop Cal Bakersfield and Northern Colorado?

You know what my vote is there. This is an issue because we will have two fewer OOC games every year once this happens.

Zag fans should (hopefully) appreciate the arrival of another WCC mens BB coach that personifies the grace and class that exists in our conference. BYU coach Dave Rose certainly fits that description.

Coach Rose played his college ball at the University of Houston, and was co-captain of the 1983 team (featuring Drexler and Olajawan) that won the national championship.

He recently has been battling pancreatic cancer, which appears to be in remission. He was here in Spokane this last weekend and spoke at Mark Few's "Coaches vs. Cancer" event, and related his own personal struggle with the disease.

Coach Rose is a class act, and the WCC will be fortunate to have him numbered within our group. Welcome to Dave and the BYU Cougars.....

Welcome to the WCC family, Coach Rose and the Cougars

Quote Originally Posted by zagitup View Post
    Zag fans should (hopefully) appreciate the arrival of another WCC mens BB coach that personifies the grace and class that exists in our conference. BYU coach Dave Rose certainly fits that description.

Coach Rose played his college ball at the University of Houston, and was co-captain of the 1983 team (featuring Drexler and Olajawan) that won the national championship.

He recently has been battling pancreatic cancer, which appears to be in remission. He was here in Spokane this last weekend and spoke at Mark Few's "Coaches vs. Cancer" event, and related his own personal struggle with the disease.

Coach Rose is a class act, and the WCC will be fortunate to have him numbered within our group. Welcome to Dave and the BYU Cougars.....
    Did not know this. Kudos to him and best wishes for a continued recovery. That cancer is one of the worst to get and not many survive it.

Sounds like a class act who will fit in to the WCC (well, most if it, anyway...)

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    As for not playing on Sundays (vis a vis the WCC Basketball Tourney) -- it'll be tough -- but if I'm forced to spend an extra day in Las Vegas in March -- well, so be it.
    And maybe we won't get bumped out of our expected seed/bracket in the tourney with them in the fold. Or perhaps it will make it more likely! :-)

Welcome to the WCC. This will be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    It would be tough, but I think you could somehow rough it and survive one more day. Just a hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    BYU makes the tournament every year as the WCC runner up. I would really like the WCC get two bids every year, and three some years, which is now a real possibility.

If this does not happen, we are just dividing up the tournament money 9 ways instead of 8.

Although I imagine ESPN may somehow make this pay as well, but not sure on that front. It looks like this was as much a battle between ESPN and Comcast as it was a battle between BYU, the WCC, the Mountain West, and the WAC.

With the Pac 10 and the WCC changing affiliations, what were formerly the #2 and #3 conferences behind the Ivy League in terms of continuous, unchanged composition have now gone to the back of the pack. (Pac 10 same since 1978; WCC since 1979).

The real question in this, however, is which schools Gonzaga drops from its home K2 schedule: do we drop the Michigan States and Illinois and Notre Dame games, or do we drop Cal Bakersfield and Northern Colorado?

You know what my vote is there. This is an issue because we will have two fewer OOC games every year once this happens.
    I don't think this is as big an issue as you make it. OOC games with Big 10/11/12 and Pac 10/12 will not be as easy to come by in the future. Mich St and Illinois will also have two fewer OOC games. Playing Pac 10/12 teams will also be more difficult as they could well be adding four more conference games a year. Pac-12 teams could well be playing 22 conf games.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Well, I'm pretty stoked about this news. This will be the start of a new family tradition for the F1Dog's, being Salt Lake City residents and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post

Woohoo, when it is noon in Salt Lake it is 11am in Spokane and 1pm in Missouri!

A new school, and a new time zone....this is not going to help my cause in the slightest...
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

the airport bar in SLC makes a good mojito so I guess I'm good with it.

add some credibility to the WCC and toughness of schedule (not that we need it). Mormons vs Jesuits. hmmmm

I'm super excited about this newest addition, and it should be pretty rockin' in the kennel when BYU comes to town...oh, it will be great times.

I was against it, but now that it has happened, I welcome them.

I guess I am most excited about how BYU fans will quickly become educated. This embarrasing "step down" for them is about to blow up in their collective faces. A few 3rd place finishes will have them clamoring for a new home. The Big 12 can't call soon enough.

Hardly any of them know about LMU.

Jimmer....... meet Viney,Teel, and Hamilton.

Wait til they get a load of Keion Bell (Pepperdine), Kevin Foster (Santa Clara), and Stohl's outside shot (Portland). They should beat those teams but there are a few players that are gonna surprise the heck out of em.
    I miss Mike Hart