Thread: GU in Collegiate Licensing Rankings

Default GU in Collegiate Licensing Rankings

If you're wondering how all that money you've been spending on GU apparel, etc. has affected their position among top selling universites, here is the answer:

http://www.clc.com/clcweb/publishing...gs+Annual+2010

#69-If you don't want to take the time to scroll through the news release!
    Every year Mark Few loses guys that you never heard of before they became a Zag and replaces them with guys you never heard of before they became a Zag. Jimmy Dykes-Maui Classic 2009

That's pretty impressive, given the size of university and number of alums comparative to other schools.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Default # 2

In a quick glance it looks like we are number 2 without a football team- with that other GU being first.

I'm quite certain that I am solely responsible for much of our good ranking.

Edited to add: At least my wife would argue this for sure.
    Last edited by gozagswoohoo; 08-27-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: because
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post

Don't forget about me Woohoo. You could crush me in hoops, beer drinking, GU Fandom, and about anything else, but I should be able to win the battle of licensing fees paid

PS Hope all is well you and the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagpower View Post
    Don't forget about me Woohoo. You could crush me in hoops, beer drinking, GU Fandom, and about anything else, but I should be able to win the battle of licensing fees paid

PS Hope all is well you and the family.
    Haha! You're giving me too much credit on all the other stuff, but yes, I'm sure you have me by a tad on the 'licensing fees paid' department!
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

ID ZAGFAN Guest

I think I might be in there too. Not only have I purchased a lot of gear for Mr. ID Zagfan and myself, but 3 years ago almost everybody on my Christmas list--brothers, grandkids, nieces, nephews, grand nieces and nephews and in-laws--about 30 in all--got Zags gear for Christmas--I guess that's why I switched my name to ZaGranny!

ZaGranny

Quote Originally Posted by OregonZag5 View Post
    In a quick glance it looks like we are number 2 without a football team- with that other GU being first.
    The only thing you have to remember is these are only schools represented by IMG...not all of the schools in the nation.
    "If you don't know that you then dont know anything about basketball, you don't know anything about life" Adam Morrison

Zagfaninnc is no longer in NC, back in Spokane

Quote Originally Posted by ZagFanInNC View Post
    The only thing you have to remember is these are only schools represented by IMG...not all of the schools in the nation.
    IMG owns the licensing company. They do not represent all of these schools. They sell/market trademark usage.

For GU and about 20 other schools, IMG promotes, markets and creates endorsement opportunites to drive revenue. I.e. TV contracts, apparell deals, etc...

I could not identify another school on that list that doesn't play football. Could someone clarify?

Impressive not just because we are a small school in a non-BCS conference, but also because we are in a modest size town in a relatively sparsely populated, largely rural region that is in the PT Zone (very confusing to some).

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post

We're sure to be #1 after Fall Family Weekend. I've got some serious upgrading to do on my Zag gear, and will have my first grandchild to attire appropriately.

Let's not forget that Christmas will be just around the corner...

Default More Licensing Info

When we did our licensing deals a few years back, the company we dealt with was CLC.http://www.clc.com/clcweb/publishing.../aboutclc.html

They represented pretty much all the big schools except Oregon at that time. CLC was used by the schools to save time on licensing approvals.

We would submit our design to CLC which would judge them for appropriateness. If CLC gave the OK, we were clear to make that product for any of their licensed schools. The finished product had to be approved by the individual school to make sure logos were correct and the official colors were used but the product itself only had to be approved once at CLC.

The fees were paid from the manufacturer of the product.

Regarding, "I could not identify another school on that list that doesn't play football. Could someone clarify?"

All the other schools on the list have football teams, although some compete in the Football Championship Subdivision, formerly Div. 1-AA such as Georgetown and Texas St.-San Marcos. The State University of New Jersey listed is a bit misleading as that is more commonly known as Rutgers.
    Every year Mark Few loses guys that you never heard of before they became a Zag and replaces them with guys you never heard of before they became a Zag. Jimmy Dykes-Maui Classic 2009

Montana is the top FCS football school coming in at #56. The Griz Maroon is all over the state, but for Bozeman and Gallatin County. I have my share of Griz and Zag wear, and my brother's HS football team too.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonZag5 View Post
    That "other" GU plays football...but some would dispute calling it "college" football:

If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

My wife has a closet full of GU shirts. I have a few. She wears one almost every day. We spend a small fortune on GU gear.

The Tri Cities is WSU territory. Many more shirts, ballcaps, bumperstickers, etc. for Wazzu. The local Wazzu alums that I personally know have basically given up on their football program and poke fun at them as much as anybody. I gotta give them credit for still wearing the stuff.
    I miss Mike Hart

The first team in the Rocky Mountains or west of the Rocky Mountains is ranked #32 (University of Arizona). That gives a pretty strong impression of how much less we care about college football and college sports in general than people in the midwest, east and southeast...and I'm OK with that to be honest.

I doubt they sold many T-Shirts with this Bulldog. . .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

Reno, I have that version of Spike on a coffee mug and I think I still have that same bumper sticker laying around somewhere.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.