Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Schedule - Should we add another?

Like every 3rd year when we go to maui?
    Not necessarily:

2006/07:

Spokane to NYC = 2,561 miles
    Spokane to Phoenix = 1,374 miles
    Spokane to Pullman = 75 miles
    Spokane to Duluth = 2,381 miles
    Spokane to NYC= 2,561 miles
    Spokane to Charlottesville = 2,553 miles
    Spokane to Seattle = 279 miles
    Spokane to Palo Alto = 905 miles

= 12,689 miles (really 25,378 roundtrip)

I still argue that GU's 2006/07 non-league sked was the toughest one that a BCS or top 25 non-BCS team has undertaken this decade. I challenge anyone to find a more challenging one when you factor in both the quality of the opponents and the travel time. It's amazing that the Zags made the NCAA's that year with the difficulty of that sked and the whole Heytvelt/Davis thing. It probably took a WCC tourney title to do it, but still......

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post

Well, should we shoot for one more biggie? I'm kinda leaning towards No.
    This. The boys have enough on their plates.

I thought the heavy front loaded schedule wasn't handled as well last year as in some other years. Seemed our team wore down at the end of the year. Edited to add that this might very well be due to the strength of the WCC last season.

No excuses, I think Syracuse beats us in the round of 32 even if we have our very best game of the season, but maybe we aren't playing Syracuse if we beat St. Mary's in the WCC championship game, as we were obviously capable of doing.
    Last edited by former1dog; 07-20-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Sadly, I've heard Maui will be dying a slow death in a few years. The logistics for ESPN to cover it is just too much to sustain. That's the bad news. The good news is various other mainland tournies will blossom into marquee events.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Default Shootout Spokane?

So Bob the old Shootout Spokane featuring three other schools in the Martin Centre might be coming back? How about it?

Default At the risk

of disturbing the hornets' nest, I would suggest that Whowho and Bartruff1 have the best suggestions.

SLU might be a trap game, and winning there would be a definite accomplishment. Those guys are going to be good next year.

Seattle U would be nice, because it's gonna happen sooner or later, and there is no need for antipathy.

I also would love to see a game at Creighton in Omaha. They are not going to be at full strength with a new coach next year. Still winning at the Qwest is not a small thing, and this might be the year to do it. Creighton will be back, but less so next year.

In conclusion, keep it simple, keep it Jesuit. All three would be victories, and as long as they do well against the other "prestige opponents" none of these games will hurt and 2/3 of them might help (in terms of the ever popular RPI consideration which I find so non compelling.

As far as the UW goes, I think that is a lost cause. What pleasure can there be in continuing to dominate such a bunch of pansies. Better we should play Northwest Bible College.

Sili

Uber says no more BCS level teams are needed on the schedule but if one is added Uber votes for Cal. The UW game ain't gonna happen, the Standford series is played out and ain't no way Howland is giving GU a home & home but Monty might.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Hey no one mention a great series. Leon Rice and Boise State would make a great drama.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

+1 Tito...perfect addition

Sili, as usual..is acting like one of my students and gets it right. Love to see a Creighton game and I know for sure the Jays would too. It's been like this for years.

I still think a later season game would be good to prep for the NCAA but after seeing what's on the schedule...the present OOC imight be enough. Our talent level seems to be in question ...maybe moreso with Bol leaving.
    I think Few will be tested to his creative limits to pull this crew through. Lots of new faces AGAIN. Almost as many as last year.....we might this group get to know each other. Of course the opposite arguement is to let the kids grow together under pressure. On thing is certain: Nobody knows! Hope for the best and work hard.

Default Travel

In my very selfish opinion, there are only 3 reasons for GU to travel. #1 - to play top 10 ranked opponents to build RPI. #2 - to play in front of the home schools of potential top 20 Rivals/Scouts recruits in the hope of convincing them and their parents to choose GU. #3 - to give alumni with a few bucks and some travel time (like me for example) the chance to watch GU in an interesting and exciting location.

I don't see that the upcoming GU schedule does any of the above. No New York, no Maui, no Anchorage, no nothin!

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Ah so soon we forget... the Wildcats of Arizona.. we owe em. Bad.

WestsideZag2424 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    In my very selfish opinion, there are only 3 reasons for GU to travel. #1 - to play top 10 ranked opponents to build RPI. #2 - to play in front of the home schools of potential top 20 Rivals/Scouts recruits in the hope of convincing them and their parents to choose GU. #3 - to give alumni with a few bucks and some travel time (like me for example) the chance to watch GU in an interesting and exciting location.

I don't see that the upcoming GU schedule does any of the above. No New York, no Maui, no Anchorage, no nothin!

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
    You really don't see those things happening this year?? Going to play Baylor in Dallas alone fulfills all 3 in my opinion considering Baylor is a legit possibility to make the Final Four and Dallas is a major city that is sure to be close to some good prospects. I've never liked Texas personally but for those fans with traveling time I'm sure Dallas would be a fun place to go. And do you really think that playing Duke or KSU in the CBE Classic won't draw the attention of major prospects?

WestsideZag2424 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
    Andy Katz had Baylor, Duke, and Kansas State not only top 10, but top 5 in this article from May by the way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/column...ndy&id=5179956

Default Big D

Gonzaga is very interested in two top 100 big guys who are out of the Dallas area.....Antawn Space and Cannen Cunningham. Space is going to visit Gonzaga. The Zags also had a brief recruiting flirtation with LeBryan Nash, who is from Dallas. GJ Vilarino came from 30 miles outside of Dallas.
    The Zags definitely have some recruiting interests in that area, and it's not a bad area to continue to build connections.

Default Katz

Fisher said he has been trying to get Gonzaga coach Mark Few to play a home-and-home series but to no avail. The Bulldogs believed they were originally penciled in to play James Madison but drew the significant upgrade with San Diego State, yet another high RPI game for Gonzaga. Their schedule lineup already includes Xavier (home), Baylor (Dallas), Illinois (Seattle), Wake Forest (Winston-Salem), Oklahoma State (home), Notre Dame (South Bend), Memphis (Spokane Arena), at Washington State and either Duke, Kansas State or Marquette, depending on which of the two Gonzaga meets in Kansas City in the CBE.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Question

So, with that 11 game schedule, what is a "realistic" number of wins?

I would say 7 or 8 would make a great start, but that is just me. I do know it is going to be fun to watch and follow.

My logic is with 3 in the pre season top 5, 6 in the top 25, and 5 other strong programs, that is going to be tough.

Default Poor post!

Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post
    As far as the UW goes, I think that is a lost cause. What pleasure can there be in continuing to dominate such a bunch of pansies. Better we should play Northwest Bible College.
    Sili -- Lets keep the posts on this Board positive. No need to disparage NBC with humiliating comparisons.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Default Huh?

Speaking as an old guy who loves GU basketball, this year's travel schedule bites. Dallas? I would rather put my hand down a running garbage disposal. KC in the winter? Is that just like Maui but with better BBQ pig? I think not.

I will schedule my usual urgent annual business appointment in San Diego when the Zags play there, but otherwise until Vegas and (hopefully) the NCAAs, this season is looking pretty sick from a traveling alumni perspective.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.