Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: -Greatest "zags" memory you have, that you witnessed IN PERSON-

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    1 - Watching Gonzaga play Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble and LMU in the old Kennel. It was an event and even though we lost, it was truly exciting. Jim McPhee had 40+ in the game. Although I'm sure I attended games prior to that, it seemed like my first real college basketball experience that has obviously left a lasting impression.
    That was an awesome game. The Martin Centre was packed, standing room only, call the fire-marshal full.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post

3. "Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!" Gus Johnson/Dan Bonner3/9

Wow, so you KNOW it was special when it gives you chills just READING the text about it! So you were actually THERE for the game??
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Default 1981 over USF

Stockton's freshman year, a ranked USF comes into Kennedy and gets run out of the gym. The place was packed to the rafters

Default Two weekends....

The first one: Introducing my wife (a Husky) to the madness that was the old Kennel. We got tickets to the last game in the old Kennel, a typical win over Pepperdine. She was amazed at the small size of the arena and how loud it was. Also, she couldn't believe that the players were walking around before the game (she still comments on how tall Ronny was standing next to her). We went to Jack & Dans before the game and met Jud Heathcote at the alumni pre-game, she had no idea who he was.

The second one: Two years ago at Portland for the first round of the Dance. I met Matt Santangelo on the MAXX on the way home from the first win and ran into him again after Meech's shot to send us to the Sweet 16. A great weekend with my Dad.

Honorable Mention: Ammo's shot against OSU, Key Arena was the loudest ever, and Pendo kept everyone focused for the final few seconds after OSU got the ball back. My Dad was the only person in the arena sitting down as the shot went in, he had given up...............Yes, I still tease him about that.

Fun Tidbit: John Stockton dropping off my Mom's Avon order on his way to the gym during the summer after his first year with the Utah Jazz (his Mom was my Mom's Avon lady).

Too many to recall here.................

Go ZAGS

Each of my 2 oldest graduating.

The beatdown on the huskies (12-1-04). Got my last speeding ticket on the way home that night.

Has to be memories (plural) for me, as that would be, as a student at GU, watching every home game the great Frank Burgess played, plus a couple at Whitworth. What a thrill and honor to see that man in action.

First date with my GU bride to be (married 50 years this Nov.) was at the Coliseum watching Frank and the Bulldogs. We also traveled to Moscow to see GU play Idaho. Zags got clobbered, BUT, His Honor scored enough points that night to win the national scoring title. Have of course witnessed many, many great GU games and players since on TV, we never miss one. And, I'm always amazed at how many GU sweatshirts, hats, etc. I see over here in Montana, including on all my grandkids. Zags are loved far and wide.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Fun Tidbit: John Stockton dropping off my Mom's Avon order on his way to the gym during the summer after his first year with the Utah Jazz (his Mom was my Mom's Avon lady).

Go ZAGS
    Absolutely priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Go ZAGS
    Agent provocateur

wow... were to begin....

Basketball related:
    Camping out for ESPN College Gameday / GU vs Stanford
    WCC Tournaments (@ GU and in Vegas)
    sitting in the front row of the Kennel Club (many games, but especially for U of I - the first game my freshman year)
    Meech's runner @ last years NCAA 2nd game in Portland

Non-Basketball:
    Serpentine
    SEARCH (but really who is this fred dude ), Montserrat & other retreats
    Gonzaga-in-Florence
    Around the World
    Senior Ball
    Kings of the West Coast!

T.B.I.Y.T.C.

Default Meech's Runner

Meech's runner in portland to take the Zags to the Sweet Sixteen 2 years ago was pretty fun to be apart of. I can still hear that place erupt in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Josh turning Tyler Hansborough into a whimpering little school girl while the Zags ran the Tar Heels off the floor. It was enhanced by the fact that I was able to get a luxury box at MSG for free.... that night totally rocked.
    I didn't get the luxury box, but was in the middle of a sea of UNC fans with my loud mouth wife as Heytvelt dominated from start to finish. It was an awesome Thanksgiving vacation.

Second place was Adam Morrison's buzzer beater at the Battle in Seattle.

ID ZAGFAN Guest

Default + 1,000

Quote Originally Posted by Bombs over Zaghdad View Post
    Meech's runner in portland to take the Zags to the Sweet Sixteen 2 years ago was pretty fun to be apart of. I can still hear that place erupt in my mind.
    That's mine, too.

ZaGranny
    Last edited by ID ZAGFAN; 07-13-2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

Been watching the Boone Avenue lads play since 1957, almost as long as Hondo. Many great memories, but one does stand out for me.

It was Stockton's freshman or sophomore year. The Zags are playing Santa Clara in K1. Zags run their boring "patience" offense and get their rear ends handed to them in the first half, down by 15. I'm told coach Hillock throws a hissy fit in the locker room and tells the boys to do what they want in the second 20 minutes. With the shackles off Stockon gets the ball to open the half and drives to the hole, makes it and gets fouled. He makes the free throw and steals the inbounds pass and makes the bucket. Five points and only three seconds off the clock. The memoy is a little fuzzy and he may have been fouled on the second layin as well, making it 6 points. Regardless, the Broncos' eyes are as big as baseballs and they never recover and the Zags win going away.

I'm walking out of the game with one of my older brothers and he says "something tells me that many years from now we're going to remember Johnny as something more than the little kid who grew up down the block."
    They turned out to be the most prophetic words I would ever hear him say.
    Last edited by jhoop; 07-13-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: grammar

Default "From the Campus, there erupted a scream..."

My best "lived it" Gonzaga basketball memory was the night that John Rillie shot the Zags into the 1995 NCAA Tournament - the first Gonzaga Tournament ever.

To quote GSBA President, Stefan Weitz, "From the Campus, there erupted a scream..." Students rushed from every part of campus into the quad, then to the traffic circle by DeSmet Hall. It was a mid-terms Monday night at near-Midnight, but it seemed like every student on campus dropped whatever they were doing and congregated for a spontaneous bonfire over by the DeSmet traffic circle. Students stormed the library, the AD Building, and study lounges to drag uncooperative bookworms out to join the party that lasted for hours. That amazing, positive energy kept the Gonzaga community on a natural high for days...until Maryland crushed the Zags in a 14-3 seed mismatch a few days later.

Yes, there was a time when a WCC Tournament title could erupt into a spontaneous bonfire on the Gonzaga campus.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

1) Casey Calvary breaking the backboard in the Spokane Arena vs New Mexico.

2) Innaugural game in K2 with Dan Dickau going off.

3) Last year RMH game when "Tiny Gallon" broke the backboard.

I took my wife to both of the "Broken Backboard" games. The only 2 games she has been to.

Zagnut 2012

Default "The Runner"

My boys and I were in Phoenix for Casey's tip in. My God, I thought we'd lost it...and imagine if that tip doesn't go in.

That entire week was insanity. Nobody knew who the Zags were, but everyone wanted a piece of us as the team headed into the Elite 8. Everywhere we went people would cheer and shout "Gonzaga! You guys are awesome!" and all sorts of positive, encouraging things. After all the Gonzaga gear had sold out everywhere, I had a guy offer me $100.00 for my worn (and slightly dirty) Gonzaga sweatshirt. The old school gray kind with the baby blue stitched letters.

Everyone was on our side except the teams we were playing, and that was only while we were playing them. Got an email from some very nice UConn fans after they won it all saying that we were the Best team they'd faced all year, and we had great fans too.

Absolutely the best sports week of my life.

Now, everytime I play "The Runner" clip, my two girls (4 and 2) come running to the computer. They have it memorized.

"Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72."

Holy Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoTJR View Post
    Stockton's freshman year, a ranked USF comes into Kennedy and gets run out of the gym. The place was packed to the rafters
    That was my most memorable game as well, except my memory is centered around taking hose hits from the keg in the back of my pickup parked just a few feet outside the east doors of Kennedy Pavilion during half-time and after the game. Many friends joined us, including some of the players. It really helped to keep our enthusiasm up and our hoarse throats sated.

Yeah, those were the days when you could get away with that stuff.

Default Favorite BBall memories

2. Morrison's win over OSU -- I'm on ESPN jumping onto the floor when he made it as I was just under the basket.

1. Spending an entire game this past season watching with Pendo from my seats, talking about basketball.

Default Gotta go with...

Ammo's bank shot 3-pointer.

The Key was rocking that night and the energy spilled out into the streets after the game.

Awesome.

1. Ammo's bank shot at Key Arena

Default In reverse order, they are . . .

5. Meech's runner for the win two years ago.

4. Two preseason tourneys I attended in the last few years (Alaska and Florida)

3. Ammo's trey to beat OSU

2. Last year's Maui Invitational -- simply magic in every regard

1. The Zags last defeat of the UW in the Kennel where I was honored to sit next to Father Spitzer, a great man and a great leader of a great university.

Default Calgary's Tip In

Greatest memory i ever witnessed was going with on a road trip up to Arizona and watching the Zags upset the University of Florida on the famous Cavlary Tip in at the sweet 16 of the 99 tournament. Was such a great memory for both my dad and I and one I will cherish forever.

1. Wife flew me up to Spokane for our wedding anniversary.
    Watched the Zags destroy St Mary's with Patty Mills, Diamon S, etc.
    Then two nights later, senior night against Santa Clara, where Brody Anglin was knocked out cold. Sat right next to Pendo's family behind the basket for senior night. One helluva visit. Heck, we even rode on a two minute "Over the Falls" tram ride, or whatever it is called.

2. Sitting front row on the bench against Texas and Kevin Durant in Arizona. Bought two tickets on Ticketmaster for $450 thinking I'd be on the Zags bench, and booya...our seats were on the frickin Longhorns bench! Doh! Sat next to a player named Dexter Pittman and watched Josh Heyfelt block a Kevin Durant three pointer from the top of the key. Golden.

Worst Zags moment........the dreaded UCLA game.

"Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!"

And:

Right now, the Mariners looking for the tie. They would take a fly ball, they would love a base hit into the gap and they could win it with Junior's speed. The stretch... and the 0-1 pitch on the way to Edgar Martínez swung on and LINED DOWN THE LEFT FIELD LINE FOR A BASE HIT! HERE COMES JOEY, HERE IS JUNIOR TO THIRD BASE, THEY'RE GOING TO WAVE HIM IN! THE THROW TO THE PLATE WILL BE ... LATE! THE MARINERS ARE GOING TO PLAY FOR THE AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP! I DON'T BELIEVE IT! IT JUST CONTINUES! MY, OH MY!

These two calls can brighten the worst day!

Same here. Great investment in a style of life, plus hoops-love!