X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gozagswoohoo
    Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
    • Feb 2007

What an awesome thread. It's interesting to look back on some of these memories. It's great because I now have 4-5 MORE memories that trump some of my earlier ones!!!

Getting to share the WCC tourney in Vegas with my 8 year old son was indescribable. Being at the first championship game in school history was indescribable. Ugh...get chills just thinking about those two!
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• jbslicer
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
      I have two, my greatest zags memory (and it's not a very old one!) is and I can promise WILL ALWAYS be:

My "Woohoo at GU" trip. The things I saw and experienced on this trip is beyond words. I always think back on how lucky I was to get to do what I did, and meet all the incredible GU fans I got to meet. (I feel like I've said this all before) :-) Well, get used to it! I'll never stop talking about it.

Second, was the moment Elias Harris hit his patented "German step into the lane" shot in Illinois to put the zags in the lead over Illinois (which we went on to when shortly after) with my dad and brother. What REALLY made it special, was that it was the first game that my dad came with me to see the zags play. Very special.
      I recall WooHoo as one of the contestants in the half court shot. There must be a video of his attempt. LOL!

Comment

• rennis
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

1. Final Four Phoenix 2017

2. Stanford 1999.

3. Pepperdine in K1 in 2000. If you were there you know what I'm talking about. When GU made the comeback being down almost double digits in the second half of that slugfest (and Westphal got T'd up) the whole building was shaking. Awesome.
        Originally posted by Coach Few
        We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
          Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jbslicer View Post
          I recall WooHoo as one of the contestants in the half court shot. There must be a video of his attempt. LOL!
          I have no recollection of the events of which you are speaking.
          Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• CarolinaZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2007

Unfortunately I've only been to two GU games in person and they were both losses. One of the games in Memphis when they were #1 and the tournament game in Raleigh against Steph Curry.
            "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• IdahoZag
              Redshirt
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by jimmy b View Post
              It's amazing how the program has evolved. Keep in mind, in Stockton's senior year (my sophomore) the team, due to injuries, recruited players from the "noon league" (rat ball) adding Gino Cherchai to the team. Imagine that today.
              LOL! Yep, I remember Gino! Crazy year.

My basketball related memories:

Number one: "Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!"

Number two: Work study in the equipment room at Kennedy Pavilion and being able to watch the men's basketball team practice frequently. I got to see John Stockton practicing his dunk.

Best non-basketball related memories:
              Gonzaga-in-London
              Lip sync competition

Comment

• GoZags
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                1. Sitting with Jud and Beverly Heathcote and listening to his non-stop crusty commentary as the Zags defeated Maryland and George Washington at the BB and T in Washington, DC

2. Reed Schifferman's game ending, season ending dunk punctuating an upset win over dreaded Idaho State in March of '75. Hondo (and I) believe Schiff's technical foul for dunking may have been the last one ever called in NCAA hoops -- as that rule was changed the following year.

3. "Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!" Gus Johnson/Dan Bonner3/99

4. Any number of Senior Nights over the years -- watching special kids share their moment with parents/siblings/girlfriends ----- saying good bye while the Kennel Club chants "Thank you Seniors" clap clap clap clap clap... "Thank you Seniors" clap clap clap clap clap. Watching the hugs with Fewie, Munse, Fitz, Adrian.

Those are but a few of the highlights I've been fortunate enough to enjoy.
                In addition to the above I'll add that I've been fortunate to "photobomb" some highlights "up close" i.e. shortly before Adam's game winner against Oklahoma State .... GU's win over Tennessee in Nashville and the tough overtime loss to #2 UConn (pic taken as Thabeet is getting "tee'd" up) ....

sigpic
                “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                ——-
                List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• billyberu
                  Bleeds GU Blue
                  • Feb 2007

I was sitting three rows behind the Oklahoma State bench at the Key Arena when Adam Morrison banked a 3pt shot in to take the lead for good. That was a great win and memory.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
                  Surfmonkey89

Comment

• zagmantis2001
                    Kennel Club
                    • Feb 2007

Memory

Originally posted by billyberu View Post
                    I was sitting three rows behind the Oklahoma State bench at the Key Arena when Adam Morrison banked a 3pt shot in to take the lead for good. That was a great win and memory.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
                    When I was at a dad/kid overnight camp at GU, stepped to the free-throw line, air-balled a free throw and hit Turiaf in the family jewels. He showed up despite having his wisdom teeth out the day before.

Comment

• Alum08
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Feb 2014

I loved this one because everyone was thinking in their heads, "Erroll, NOOOO!!!!"

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

2008 at Santa Clara. Somehow Lothar98zag and I managed to get seats behind the Ruff Riders at the Leavey Center. They were dang good seats (4 rows up), but we were scared for our lives because it looked like the Broncos were going to upset GU. You could feel the heat behind us. It was scary. Pargo turned the ball over with about 3 ticks left. Zags were down two. Then Big John Bryant threw a baseball pass 3/4 of the way down the court. When the ball arrived it got deflected and SCU guard Brody Angley, for some reason, collided with Steven Gray. He flat out fouled him. One of the dumbest plays I have ever seen. It happened right in front of us. Forward to the 2:16 mark:

0.3 seconds left. Steven had to hit two foul shots to tie the game. After he hits the first one, look at the TV shot of Angley's mother in the stands. She looks like she has the worst case of constipation in the world. Then Steven hit the second one on a foul shot that went all over the rim to send the game into OT.

I couldn't believe it.

Then Austin Daye, who grew up about 8 miles from where I grew up as a kid (ask El Voce in heaven, it's always great when a "hometown guy" becomes a Zag basketball player) went completely crazy in OT, showing off just about every move in his arsenal. Probably one of his finest games as a Zag.

I loved the fact that two Zag freshmen did this in one of the loudest and craziest basketball environments I have ever been in.

After the game I spoke with Steve and told him that the play had happened just below me, and that he had saved my life from a Ruff Rider court storm. We might have gotten crushed. Seriously hurt.

Comment

• ZAGduck
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Feb 2007

Wins:
                          1. v Minnesota
                          2. v Stanford
                          3. The RUUUUNNER!
                          4. OK ST Morrison 3 pt bank shot BIS
                          5. Meech v WKy
                          6-10 Any WCC tourney final vs St Marys (except 2012)
                          11. WVa
                          12. Xavier
                          13. S Carolina
                          Losses (out of order):
                          1. UCONN
                          2. Steph Curry
                          3. Nevada Wolfpack
                          4. UCLA w/ Morrison
                          5. Morrison debut v St Joes at MSG
                          6. St Marys WCC championship 2012
                          7. Mich State @ Kennel
                          8. UNC this year

So glad memorable wins outnumber memorable losses.

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                            When the ball arrived it got deflected and SCU guard Brody Angley, for some reason, collided with Steven Gray. He flat out fouled him. One of the dumbest plays I have ever seen. It happened right in front of us. Forward to the 2:16 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSRSBui-uo

0.3 seconds left. Steven had to hit two foul shots to tie the game. After he hits the first one, look at the TV shot of Angley's mother in the stands. She looks like she has the worst case of constipation in the world. Then Steven hit the second one on a foul shot that went all over the rim to send the game into OT.
                            Brody Angley's nightmare! Thanks for the clip...and the memory!
                            "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
                            —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• CodeCobalt
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Mar 2009

I've never been able to score tickets to a zags game.... so I guess coming across AMMO as I was walking the centennial trail, or getting to see Olynyk's first game as a celtic.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CodeCobalt View Post
                                I've never been able to score tickets to a zags game.... so I guess coming across AMMO as I was walking the centennial trail, or getting to see Olynyk's first game as a celtic.
                                I've never set foot in the Kennel, last time I was in Spokane was 16 years ago. When I retire in 2-3 years, Spokane will be one of the destinations in my western travels.

If the Zags play within a day's drive of Dallas, we usually attend.

Comment

Working...
                                X