Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: -Greatest "zags" memory you have, that you witnessed IN PERSON-

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaZag View Post
    I was assigned to work for my company in the bay area for a month. First thing I did was check the schedule, sure enough the zags were scheduled to play in San Francisco at War Memorial while I was there. I submitted a request through the dons website and was thrilled when I got a reply that two tickets would be waiting for me in will call. It was the Adam Morrison tour that year, and the house was PACKED! There were people sitting in all of the aisles and the PA announcer continually was warning that the game could be called off by the fire department. Im sure you all recall that Morrison didnt disappoint that night. Arguably the most "in the zone" he's ever been, one of his three point shots was closer to half court than to the 3 pt line. What I remember most is the crowd everytime the ball left his hands, it was an amazing crescendo of anticipation leading to an eruption when the ball swished through the net. simply amazing! If memory serves me correct he had 28 in the first half and 43 for the game, great experience.
    Not sure of all the stats, but here's what the scoreboard looked like a little more than 12 minutes into the game.

Default My top 5 in person

1) Florida - need I say more.
    2) St. Johns into sweet 16- Santangelo was awesome and Spink with the dunk..wow.
    3) Pepperdine for wcc championship in San Diego. Dickau put on clinic in 2nd half when we fell behind. Unbelievable performance.
    4) Dickau again in a blowout game against LMU, dropped 34 in the first half. I think he only shot once in 2nd half and ended with 34.
    5) UW game in key arena 2000 capped with a Santangelo reverse dunk.

It's amazing how the program has evolved. Keep in mind, in Stockton's senior year (my sophomore) the team, due to injuries, recruited players from the "noon league" (rat ball) adding Gino Cherchai to the team. Imagine that today.

As a fan, I followed the team casually from the time I graduated, catching games when they were in So Cal. It wasn't until the Clemson game in 98 in top of the world classic when I realized the possibilities the team had and became a big time follower. Favorite year of course was 99 and while I'm sure most of you won't believe I saw it coming...I did - to some extent. Not the elite 8, but I knew how good they were. I travelled to seem them play many times that year. I remember how pumped I got when they received votes in the polls, and then finally snuck in at 24 I think.

It felt like we were on the verge of something special. At the WCC tourney at Toso in Santa Clara, with only a handful of Zag fans there - George Gee was one - the team just took care of business. They were a machine. Frahm, Matt, Nilsen with his D. Getting through Minnesota and Stanford didn't surprise. The following week in Arizona was one of the best weeks ever though it ended badly with the UConn loss - It felt we were going to win that game up until the end, but Rip Hamilton and Jake Voskul were tough.

It's been a great ride and I look forward to more, as do my young boys....My wife is another story, but she's been a great sport through the years and allowed our travels (i.e. Maui) to coincide with games.

woohoo - thanks for the thread.

Default I know those guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags;577771
    4. Any number of Senior Nights over the years -- watching special kids share their moment with parents/siblings/girlfriends ----- saying good bye while the Kennel Club chants "Thank you Seniors" clap clap clap clap clap... "Thank you Seniors" clap clap clap clap clap. Watching the hugs with Fewie, Munse, Fitz, Adrian.
    [IMG
    http://myweb.cwpost.liu.edu/bbyrne/gzpics/ken.jpg[/IMG]

Those are but a few of the highlights I've been fortunate enough to enjoy.
    Wow, great pic -- pretty sure that is your freshmen year-- Dave Demo and Kelly Baird? !!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy b View Post
    1)

It felt like we were on the verge of something special. At the WCC tourney at Toso in Santa Clara, with only a handful of Zag fans there - George Gee was one - the team just took care of business. They were a machine. Frahm, Matt, Nilsen with his D. Getting through Minnesota and Stanford didn't surprise. The following week in Arizona was one of the best weeks ever though it ended badly with the UConn loss - It felt we were going to win that game up until the end, but Rip Hamilton and Jake Voskul were tough.
    I stayed up late to watch that 1999 WCC Tournament final on T.V. It was the first Zags game I'd been able to watch on the East Coast, because the Zags were never nationally televised during those years. I was absolutely amazed at how much the program had improved in the short time since I had graduated in 1996. I was amazed that the staff had recruited such an athletic team with so much size without sacrificing the ball handling, hustle and shooting that had marked the program when I had been in school.

When the brackets came out a few days later, I walked into my office with my bracket and told everybody that I worked with in emphatic terms that the Zags were going to beat Stanford in the second round of the tournament, advance past the Sweet 16 and scare UCONN in the Elite Eight. Everybody thought I was crazy, but I stood by the prediction.

I won the office pool.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

1) the 2008 WCC finals at USD where I finally met Frank Burgess at the pregame social, a lifelong friend of my dads from the 50's basketball team. I keep the picture of Frank and I, which my dad got signed and framed and presented as a gift, directly behind me on my credenza in my office. My dad passed away later that year, so it was cool to meet Frank when my dad was still around. Hearing Frank tell the same stories my dad told me since I was a little kid blew me away. There was truth to those stories afterall.

2) My first game at the MAC Feb 10, 2007 (my bday, so easy to remember). The Zags had like a 49 home game winning streak on the line and Heytvelt got busted with Davis and missed that game, but the Zags still pulled it out. We got Herak club passes. I was interviewed by KHQ on my way out of the arena and then we headed off to J&D's to for some drinks and watched another WCC game with a raucus Zag crowd. I loved every moment of it.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rijman View Post
    1) the 2008 WCC finals at USD where I finally met Frank Burgess at the pregame social, a lifelong friend of my dads from the 50's basketball team. I keep the picture of Frank and I, which my dad got signed and framed and presented as a gift, directly behind me on my credenza in my office. My dad passed away later that year, so it was cool to meet Frank when my dad was still around. Hearing Frank tell the same stories my dad told me since I was a little kid blew me away. There was truth to those stories afterall.

2) My first game at the MAC Feb 10, 2007 (my bday, so easy to remember). The Zags had like a 49 home game winning streak on the line and Heytvelt got busted with Davis and missed that game, but the Zags still pulled it out. We got Herak club passes. I was interviewed by KHQ on my way out of the arena and then we headed off to J&D's to for some drinks and watched another WCC game with a raucus Zag crowd. I loved every moment of it.

Such great stories, thanks for sharing. Especially the first one.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Default Slc 1995

GU's first NCAA Game.

Just being there for the very first time.

Starting from watching Rille destroy the rest of the WCC during the tourney - to waiting for our name to come up on the NCAA Selection Sunday show - to our first taste of the big dance.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

WestsideZag2424 Guest

1) The first time I participated in Zombie Nation during Midnight Madness my freshman year. I seriously think rooting so hard that night led to Mono hitting me so hard the next week that I lost 15lbs, but it was worth it.

2) The first couple minutes of the St. Mary's game in 2008, when Steve had the 2 breakaway dunks in a row. After a whole week camping in zero degree weather, it was amazing.

3) Ira's dunk; you know the one. Greatest dunk I've ever seen in person, it was amazing. I was 3rd row of the student section on that end so it was right in front of me and I saw the whole thing building up. Gives me chills every time I watch the replay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrGQWlxybxQ

Didn't count it in the top 3 because only half of it was in person, but watching Meech's runner with some GU buddies at The Ram in U-Village in Seattle and then walking over to Hec Ed to see the girls win their first ever NCAA tourney game. Everyone in the Ram was rooting for us by the way, so don't say UW fans hate GU

WestsideZag2424 Guest

And I'm gonna be a Junior this upcoming year, so here's hoping for some even better memories

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Not sure of all the stats, but here's what the scoreboard looked like a little more than 12 minutes into the game.

That is awesome! 24 points in 12 minutes, rediculous.

2006 Gonzaga beats UNC at MSG. The only Zag game I have ever been to in person, sadly. Was an amazing game, sat 7 rows up next to swarms of UNC fans talking mad ish the whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Getting married in the Jesuit House chapel with Fr. Costello presiding
    Father Costello presided over Reno's marriage? He baptized Uber. Interesting.

If you are interested, there is a nice article in Gonzaga Lawyer this month about Father Costello and his influences on GU Law over the years. You can read it online at:

http://www.zagsonline.org/s/829/lawI...gid=2&pgid=349
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Oh, as for the question: Number 1 greatest in person memory has to be the shot hit by Adam in the BIS. The place went crazy. Everyone around Uber went crazy.

Number 2 is College Gameday vs. Stanford. Before the game, 229Sinto's sister tried to get us to go in early with the season ticket holder crew and save her a seat in the student section, as she was in the back of the line. When we got to the gates early and they said we couldn't re-enter (we planned on leaving after she got her seat because it was about 2 hours before tip), we turned right around and went back to Jack & Dan's.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Jeremy Pargo's speech after the game on senior night. He was hilarious.

Thumbs up Uber:

Thanks for posting the link to that article on Fr. Frank !

Basketball Web Sites Listing

I'm retiring on May 1st, 2019. Down With The Man ! The Man is Evil

First great memory: David's Pizza opening their doors and making us a large pie even though they had already closed on our first... ahem... weekend night... of freshman year.

Second great memory (but probably 1st place): Instinctively running out the door and gathering in the center of campus after The Runner with hundreds of other students and fans. I think I ran out of my dorm room before time had even expired. Woops. There's a really good, blurry photo of all of us at that gathering that someone turned in to posters... if there's one out there, I would love to have a copy.

Third: Taking the English comp exam and then partying it up at Madonnastock, essentially done with my scholastic career at GU. Bittersweet.

Fourth: My first time stepping in to the new Kennel/MAC/whatever, it's the new Kennel, and it was amazing.

Fifth: Talking to Mark Few on the phone: "Yeah, this is Mark Few, I'm the coach of the Men's Basketball team..." "I know who you are, Coach!"

Sixth: Walking in to the mailroom on campus with an armful of Kennel Club shirts very other day and mailing them out to some of you guys and other fans around the country.
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

It's humbling to read the responses to this thread, and understand who some of the forum members are.

Having never been to a Zag B'ball game live, my best live memory is peripheral.

I was sitting in the front row of a Lady Zag soccer game, watching my cousin's daughter play keep, when Matt, Pendo and Big Will sat down next to me. Pendo is a St. Louis Cardinal's fan, just like me, and we talked baseball...but we both also root for the M's.

Adam's shot @ BIS. Repeat all superlatives from above. Got to watch Dan F. throw a fit in the mid-80s(the guy was awesome at scaring me--don't know how anyone else felt). Had a history class with Casey Calvary -- and a Comm class with John Stockton. Did I tell you I went to Gonzaga fall 82-spring 87 but did not graduate until fall 98? My degree sez GU, but I don't count in any of the "graduated in good time" stats.

MBB

1 Michigan State game in Maui, my wife and I were in row 2, as Adam announced himself to America.... 2 LMU with Gathers and Kimble if you recall it was a huge icestorm and I was a teen and my parents were so against me going, so glad I did! 3 OK State at Key 4 Beating Stanford at the Key with Spike pretending to pee on the tree

Easily the most entertained and interested I've been in a thread in the last year or longer...
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

I'm a little late to the party, but I'll add mine.

1. The last game of the Gonzaga UW series was amazing. I have never heard the place so loud. I still watch the game from time to time when I'm feeling down.

2. Another Gonzaga win over UW in 1998 I think. I went with my dad to the Spokane Arena. I was trying to decide between the two schools and UW was heavily favored before the game. I fell in love with Gonzaga and the Kennel club after that game.

3. Gonzaga vs. Stanford Gameday game. In fact, all of those games that year were a lot of fun. JP on senior night was a pretty special moment too.

4. When I was playing basketball in high school we practiced at Gonzaga because our gym was occupied that day. Matt Santangelo was practicing at the same time. Our whole team was pretty star struck.

5. Until recently, I was either a student or employed at Gonzaga for 8 of the last 11 years and I have so many wonderful memories from that time. I could go on and on about the wonderful things I have been a part of the amazing people I have met here.
    Bring back the OCC

(1) The whole atmosphere in Key arena when we beat Stanford on the Elite 8 run. It was really amazing.
    (2) When Casey broke the backboard against the Lobos in the arena. Also, Fran Frischilla was going nuts at the refs during our comeback in that game. Too bad we fell just short in O.T.
    (3) When the Kennel Clubbers all put the white spots in their hair and paraded past Fitz -- I can't remember if that was late 80s or early 90s. Ultimate showing of respect for Fitz in the days when the KC came up with interesting little stunts.

ID ZAGFAN Guest

Default Congratulations!

WooHoo, congratulations on your sixth Hall of Fame Thread!

ZaGranny

This is sad to say, but I have never been to a Gonzaga game. Over 17 years of watching and I have never seen a game live.
    21 Straight Big Dances

10 Straight Round of 32s

9 Sweet Sixteens

3 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2017 NATIONAL RUNNER UP

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by zagporvida View Post
    2. Saw Gary Payton and OSU take on the Bulldogs in 1989 I think it was. That would have been my freshman year.
    This is a memory for me also. I remember the Kennel Club was just brutal to him and he gave it right back on the court. Although his "gesture" at the end of the game towards the Kennel Club (grabbing his junk) wasn't very classy, I think the KC deserved it.