Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: -Greatest "zags" memory you have, that you witnessed IN PERSON-

This thread has been resting comfortably in the Hall of Fame. Thought I'd bring it back to MBB for awhile ... just in case anyone has something to add ...

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Seeing the crowd give Karnowski a standing ovation when he came out for warmups at Kraziness in the Kennel is my new #1 all-time. It was the first time my 3 year-old ever saw me openly crying and we had an amazing moment together watching her new favorite Zag. After the season she was inconsolable when I told her that Karnowski would never play at Gonzaga again.

1. Calvary Tip in Florida

2. Mathews 3 pointer against West Virginia

3. Zach dominating last minutes of South Carolina game

No person sightings (yet) but now I'll add my favorite memories (best shots in GU history, since I've been watching... around 2005"

1. Jordan Mathews vs West Virginia in San Jose
    2. Adam Morrison vs Oklahoma State in Seattle
    3. Gary Bell Jr. in Stillwater
    4. Meech in Portland over WKU
    5. Sam Dower in JCP vs SCU on January 29, 2014

Honorable mentions

1. Brian Bhaskars 3 in Kennel on Senior Night
    2. Jack Beach vs Utah in second round of NCAA tourney nice layup
    3. Plenty of other ones just can't think of them right now
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

It was a loss, but the matchup against Calapari's Memphis Tigers in Spokane arena was memorable.
    It was a loss, but the matchup (in Seattle) against #2 ranked UConn was memorable.
    It was a loss, but watching Sabonis and Wiltjer against St. Mary's in the Kennel was memorable.

Anyone starting to see the pattern? I'm bad luck.

The best win I have witnessed was Olynyk against Frank Martin's Kansas State in Seattle.
    I miss Mike Hart

my personal top 3

1. Morrison's buzzer beater against Oklahoma State (he called bank!)
    2. Meech's coast to coast against WKU
    3. Heytvelts dunk over Spencer Hawes in the Kennel (2006?). Really set the tone for the rest of that game.

Phoenix

Third game in the McCarthy, November 24, 2004. Turiaf went nuts on the Vandals for 40 points. Morrison played pretty well in his Sophomore season and it was Batista's first game.

Also, not actual games, but I remember the Kraziness in the Kennel when Pangos was a Freshman - I looked at my wife during the scrimmage and told her "he's the best player here, and it's not close".

This fall, I took my son to Kraziness - saw Nigel, and said the same thing. He was so much faster than everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Phoenix
    Yes!
    It was my bucket list to be in person at our first Final 4!
    Being there on championship night was surreal and a dream that I never thought would be possible when I was at Gonzaga.

1. The Runner.
    2. Kimble and Gathers......and Stumer, Fryer and others.....
    3. Lightfoot going for 50.....crazy....guy couldn't miss.
    4. 1 on 1 with T. Spink at 610 DeSmet......never won.....never even close! Pretty sure he took it easy on me too.

Pangos setting the 3 point record.

[QUOTE=coolhandzag;1315373]

That's on my list too, coolhand.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Morrison scoring 43 in Maui to beat Michigan State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GU's first NCAA game in 1995
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

A few that stand out to me... Two this year alone.

I'm with Zags_Fanatic above, but the long standing ovation that Kanowski got at Kraziness at the Kennel this year was incredibly moving (and his acknowledgement back). And, although I couldn't make it to the Final Four this year, I was able to watch the Semifinal game at the Hemmingson Center - it was like being right in the middle of the Kennel Club - incredibly electric (especially at halftime when most of the students were locked arm-in-arm swaying and singing Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline). And lastly, I remember the almost-hour-long delay in a New Year's Eve game against Oklahoma in 2009 when a guy named Tiny Gallon tried to retrieve an alley oop over Sacre and broke the backboard.

Scott Finnie hitting a buzzer beater to beat Weber State, 2 years in a row. That was a few years ago.

My fondest memory is watching GU lose to Michigan State in the tournament at The Office on Division (now a Jack in the Box, a car parts store, or something.) I didn't know hardly anything about the Zags, but that was the moment that started it all for me. I really wish I had seen the tournament run that started it all. Better late than never, I guess.

Being able to see the Zags in person in the championship game is probably the real best Zag moment for me, but I think I must be feeling a bit sentimental right now...

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandzag View Post
    1. The Runner.
    2. Kimble and Gathers......and Stumer, Fryer and others.....
    4. 1 on 1 with T. Spink at 610 DeSmet......never won.....never even close! Pretty sure he took it easy on me too.
    For me also, saw the Kimble/Gathers show with LMU twice in The Original Kennel, the last one not many weeks before Hank collapsed in Gersten Pavillion. Also witnessed Orlando Lightfoot's phenomenal shooting performance dropping 50 pts in a Vandal loss to GU. Oh, another memorable night was in 1981 when Coach Ray Meyer's DePaul Blue Demons (ranked #7 nationally at the time) and Terry Cummings came to Spokane to take on John Stockton and the Zags.
    Last edited by ProVeeZag; 04-11-2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Added details re: DePaul game in 1981
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Four come to mind .....
    The Mrs. & I sitting next to Ammo for a pre-season dinner/chat at the Spokane Club.
    Being in the Kennel when Pangos sunk his record breaking 3.
    Our WCC Tourney trips to Vegas (If you haven't gone yet it's well worth the trip!)
    Going to last week's Championship game in a mad dash, spur of the moment Zag fan rush
    Go Zags!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

1. Gary Bell's dagger in Stillwater, had a great view of Mike Hart's crushing screen that freed Gary. Pictures afterward with the players, check the album. Also had a brief conversation with Elias...in German.

2. Final moments of the win in Nashville: "We are GU" resonated throughout the stands. Big D's performance at half time will never be forgotten. The entire trip was magical, my first road trip with my "three boys": two sons and grandson.

3. SMU: yes, we lost that game, but to reconnect with alumni was awesome.

4. 1972: Adrian Buoncristiani throws his clipboard. Surprised he wasn't T'ed up.

What an awesome thread. It's interesting to look back on some of these memories. It's great because I now have 4-5 MORE memories that trump some of my earlier ones!!!

Getting to share the WCC tourney in Vegas with my 8 year old son was indescribable. Being at the first championship game in school history was indescribable. Ugh...get chills just thinking about those two!
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    I have two, my greatest zags memory (and it's not a very old one!) is and I can promise WILL ALWAYS be:

My "Woohoo at GU" trip. The things I saw and experienced on this trip is beyond words. I always think back on how lucky I was to get to do what I did, and meet all the incredible GU fans I got to meet. (I feel like I've said this all before) :-) Well, get used to it! I'll never stop talking about it.

Second, was the moment Elias Harris hit his patented "German step into the lane" shot in Illinois to put the zags in the lead over Illinois (which we went on to when shortly after) with my dad and brother. What REALLY made it special, was that it was the first game that my dad came with me to see the zags play. Very special.
    I recall WooHoo as one of the contestants in the half court shot. There must be a video of his attempt. LOL!

1. Final Four Phoenix 2017

2. Stanford 1999.

3. Pepperdine in K1 in 2000. If you were there you know what I'm talking about. When GU made the comeback being down almost double digits in the second half of that slugfest (and Westphal got T'd up) the whole building was shaking. Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbslicer View Post
    I recall WooHoo as one of the contestants in the half court shot. There must be a video of his attempt. LOL!
    I have no recollection of the events of which you are speaking.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Unfortunately I've only been to two GU games in person and they were both losses. One of the games in Memphis when they were #1 and the tournament game in Raleigh against Steph Curry.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio