Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: -Greatest "zags" memory you have, that you witnessed IN PERSON-

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy b View Post
    It's amazing how the program has evolved. Keep in mind, in Stockton's senior year (my sophomore) the team, due to injuries, recruited players from the "noon league" (rat ball) adding Gino Cherchai to the team. Imagine that today.
    LOL! Yep, I remember Gino! Crazy year.

My basketball related memories:

Number one: "Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!"

Number two: Work study in the equipment room at Kennedy Pavilion and being able to watch the men's basketball team practice frequently. I got to see John Stockton practicing his dunk.

Best non-basketball related memories:
    Gonzaga-in-London
    Lip sync competition

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    1. Sitting with Jud and Beverly Heathcote and listening to his non-stop crusty commentary as the Zags defeated Maryland and George Washington at the BB and T in Washington, DC

2. Reed Schifferman's game ending, season ending dunk punctuating an upset win over dreaded Idaho State in March of '75. Hondo (and I) believe Schiff's technical foul for dunking may have been the last one ever called in NCAA hoops -- as that rule was changed the following year.

3. "Shot clock turned off.....Calvary.......Hall........8 to shoot........Hall...the runnerrrr......loose ball .....ITS GOOD!!!!.........4.4 to go............Shannon...'Don't want to foul'............Shannon..from the cornerrrrrrrrrr........AND IT'S OVER!!!!!......GONZAGA!!!, THE SLIPPER STILL FITS!!!.....THEY WIN IT 73-72........HOLY COW!!!!" Gus Johnson/Dan Bonner3/99

4. Any number of Senior Nights over the years -- watching special kids share their moment with parents/siblings/girlfriends ----- saying good bye while the Kennel Club chants "Thank you Seniors" clap clap clap clap clap... "Thank you Seniors" clap clap clap clap clap. Watching the hugs with Fewie, Munse, Fitz, Adrian.

Those are but a few of the highlights I've been fortunate enough to enjoy.
    In addition to the above I'll add that I've been fortunate to "photobomb" some highlights "up close" i.e. shortly before Adam's game winner against Oklahoma State .... GU's win over Tennessee in Nashville and the tough overtime loss to #2 UConn (pic taken as Thabeet is getting "tee'd" up) ....

"To be continued ...."

An empty, towel-draped bronze chair - with a basketball on the floor nearby - has been installed in the northeast foyer of the McCarthey Athletic Center. On the chair is the inscription: In loving memory of Fr. Tony Lehmann, S.J. "to be continued..."

I was sitting three rows behind the Oklahoma State bench at the Key Arena when Adam Morrison banked a 3pt shot in to take the lead for good. That was a great win and memory.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Default Memory

Quote Originally Posted by billyberu View Post
    I was sitting three rows behind the Oklahoma State bench at the Key Arena when Adam Morrison banked a 3pt shot in to take the lead for good. That was a great win and memory.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    When I was at a dad/kid overnight camp at GU, stepped to the free-throw line, air-balled a free throw and hit Turiaf in the family jewels. He showed up despite having his wisdom teeth out the day before.

I loved this one because everyone was thinking in their heads, "Erroll, NOOOO!!!!"

https://youtu.be/656VKAK4P3k?t=75

2008 at Santa Clara. Somehow Lothar98zag and I managed to get seats behind the Ruff Riders at the Leavey Center. They were dang good seats (4 rows up), but we were scared for our lives because it looked like the Broncos were going to upset GU. You could feel the heat behind us. It was scary. Pargo turned the ball over with about 3 ticks left. Zags were down two. Then Big John Bryant threw a baseball pass 3/4 of the way down the court. When the ball arrived it got deflected and SCU guard Brody Angley, for some reason, collided with Steven Gray. He flat out fouled him. One of the dumbest plays I have ever seen. It happened right in front of us. Forward to the 2:16 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSRSBui-uo

0.3 seconds left. Steven had to hit two foul shots to tie the game. After he hits the first one, look at the TV shot of Angley's mother in the stands. She looks like she has the worst case of constipation in the world. Then Steven hit the second one on a foul shot that went all over the rim to send the game into OT.

I couldn't believe it.

Then Austin Daye, who grew up about 8 miles from where I grew up as a kid (ask El Voce in heaven, it's always great when a "hometown guy" becomes a Zag basketball player) went completely crazy in OT, showing off just about every move in his arsenal. Probably one of his finest games as a Zag.

I loved the fact that two Zag freshmen did this in one of the loudest and craziest basketball environments I have ever been in.

After the game I spoke with Steve and told him that the play had happened just below me, and that he had saved my life from a Ruff Rider court storm. We might have gotten crushed. Seriously hurt.

Wins:
    1. v Minnesota
    2. v Stanford
    3. The RUUUUNNER!
    4. OK ST Morrison 3 pt bank shot BIS
    5. Meech v WKy
    6-10 Any WCC tourney final vs St Marys (except 2012)
    11. WVa
    12. Xavier
    13. S Carolina
    Losses (out of order):
    1. UCONN
    2. Steph Curry
    3. Nevada Wolfpack
    4. UCLA w/ Morrison
    5. Morrison debut v St Joes at MSG
    6. St Marys WCC championship 2012
    7. Mich State @ Kennel
    8. UNC this year

So glad memorable wins outnumber memorable losses.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    When the ball arrived it got deflected and SCU guard Brody Angley, for some reason, collided with Steven Gray. He flat out fouled him. One of the dumbest plays I have ever seen. It happened right in front of us. Forward to the 2:16 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSRSBui-uo

0.3 seconds left. Steven had to hit two foul shots to tie the game. After he hits the first one, look at the TV shot of Angley's mother in the stands. She looks like she has the worst case of constipation in the world. Then Steven hit the second one on a foul shot that went all over the rim to send the game into OT.
    Brody Angley's nightmare! Thanks for the clip...and the memory!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

I've never been able to score tickets to a zags game.... so I guess coming across AMMO as I was walking the centennial trail, or getting to see Olynyk's first game as a celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeCobalt View Post
    I've never been able to score tickets to a zags game.... so I guess coming across AMMO as I was walking the centennial trail, or getting to see Olynyk's first game as a celtic.
    I've never set foot in the Kennel, last time I was in Spokane was 16 years ago. When I retire in 2-3 years, Spokane will be one of the destinations in my western travels.

If the Zags play within a day's drive of Dallas, we usually attend.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post

2. Final moments of the win in Nashville: "We are GU" resonated throughout the stands. Big D's performance at half time will never be forgotten. The entire trip was magical, my first road trip with my "three boys": two sons and grandson.
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...emy-Lines-quot

"To be continued ...."

An empty, towel-draped bronze chair - with a basketball on the floor nearby - has been installed in the northeast foyer of the McCarthey Athletic Center. On the chair is the inscription: In loving memory of Fr. Tony Lehmann, S.J. "to be continued..."

Thanks, GZ! Big D's 2 for 2 now: his favorite players over the past two years are Domas and Zach. I'm seeing a trend here...

He was as crushed as anybody when the horn sounded in the NC game.

There will be no need for the staff to exert any effort, should he be a Division I prospect (I know, that's way off in the future).