Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: -Greatest "zags" memory you have, that you witnessed IN PERSON-

Hybrid View

Lightbulb -Greatest "zags" memory you have, that you witnessed IN PERSON-

What is the most memorable experience you've ever had that deals with Gonzaga?

Something you saw IN PERSON.

I'll post mine in a little bit....though I'm sure a few of you already have an idea as to what mine is, haha.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Default 2009 Maui

My wife and I have seen the Zags play in...Hawaii..Seattle..Las Vegas...but unfortunately NEVER in Spokane...yet!!!

So...I would say seeing the Zags win in Hawaii at the Maui Invitational last year...down 16 to Colorado....beating Wisconsin...and in a backyard brawl with Cincinnati in OT to win the title...We were down in front for the games...and after each win...we stood and high fived the team as they left the floor...each win was more exciting then the day before..
    ZAG 4 LIFE

Default Top 3

1) Zags crushing UW in their last game (to this point) in the Kennel
    2) College Gameday comes to GU complete with win over Stanford
    3) Zags OT win over Illinois in United Center, surrounded by screaming Illini fans

/Will forever regret not going to Battle in Seattle when Ammo hit "the shot"

1 - Watching Gonzaga play Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble and LMU in the old Kennel. It was an event and even though we lost, it was truly exciting. Jim McPhee had 40+ in the game. Although I'm sure I attended games prior to that, it seemed like my first real college basketball experience that has obviously left a lasting impression.
    2a - College Gameday vs. Stanford in the new kennel (Thanks again GoZags!)
    2b - Watching my buddy and childhood friend Felix McGowan come off the bench to help Gonzaga beat St. Mary's, must have been 91 or 92. I think he made the bucket to send it into overtime and then had the hot hand and Fitz spread the court and let him go to work playground style.
    3 - Giving Father Tony a ride to the airport in my (very) beat up and messy old truck after one of the WCC tourney games at Santa Clara.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    1 - Watching Gonzaga play Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble and LMU in the old Kennel.
    2a - College Gameday vs. Stanford in the new kennel (Thanks again GoZags!)
    2b - Watching my buddy and childhood friend Felix McGowan come off the bench to help Gonzaga beat St. Mary's, must have been 91 or 92. I think he made the bucket to send it into overtime and then had the hot hand and Fitz spread the court and let him go to work playground style.
    3 - Giving Father Tony a ride to the airport in my (very) beat up and messy old truck after one of the WCC tourney games at Santa Clara.
    Oh wow

I have two, my greatest zags memory (and it's not a very old one!) is and I can promise WILL ALWAYS be:

My "Woohoo at GU" trip. The things I saw and experienced on this trip is beyond words. I always think back on how lucky I was to get to do what I did, and meet all the incredible GU fans I got to meet. (I feel like I've said this all before) :-) Well, get used to it! I'll never stop talking about it.

Second, was the moment Elias Harris hit his patented "German step into the lane" shot in Illinois to put the zags in the lead over Illinois (which we went on to when shortly after) with my dad and brother. What REALLY made it special, was that it was the first game that my dad came with me to see the zags play. Very special.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    1 - Watching Gonzaga play Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble and LMU in the old Kennel. It was an event and even though we lost, it was truly exciting. Jim McPhee had 40+ in the game. Although I'm sure I attended games prior to that, it seemed like my first real college basketball experience that has obviously left a lasting impression.
    That was an awesome game. The Martin Centre was packed, standing room only, call the fire-marshal full.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    What is the most memorable experience you've ever had that deals with Gonzaga?

Something you saw IN PERSON.

I'll post mine in a little bit....though I'm sure a few of you already have an idea as to what mine is, haha.
    Josh turning Tyler Hansborough into a whimpering little school girl while the Zags ran the Tar Heels off the floor. It was enhanced by the fact that I was able to get a luxury box at MSG for free.... that night totally rocked.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I've only seen a couple of games in person, in the last twenty years, but I used to see a lot when I lived in Spokane. However, one of the best games I have ever seen , was when I was on a business trip to Seattle, in I think, 1982. The Zags with John Stockton were playing the Huskies, and actually lost a very low scoring game by one point. Husky fans had a thousand reasons why the mighty Huskies only beat the lowly Zags by one point, but the real reason was John Stockton.
    I read on this board, sometimes, how John was a great pro who was only a very good college player, but I'm here to tell you that John Stockton was something else everytime I saw him play. If he had played at UCLA he would have been a top five draft pick.
    Anyway, hearing Huskies making excuses for a game they expected to win by 30 always makes me feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Josh turning Tyler Hansborough into a whimpering little school girl while the Zags ran the Tar Heels off the floor. It was enhanced by the fact that I was able to get a luxury box at MSG for free.... that night totally rocked.
    I didn't get the luxury box, but was in the middle of a sea of UNC fans with my loud mouth wife as Heytvelt dominated from start to finish. It was an awesome Thanksgiving vacation.

Second place was Adam Morrison's buzzer beater at the Battle in Seattle.

Graduation and commissioning.
    Search.
    Road-tripping to Stateline with Ft Tony.
    Beers at the Bulldog with Fr Meehan.
    Throwing snowballs through open windows at DeSmet late at night during finals week.
    My first cross-country race in which Don Kardong ran.

list could go on.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Graduation and commissioning.
    Search.
    Road-tripping to Stateline with Ft Tony.
    Beers at the Bulldog with Fr Meehan.
    Throwing snowballs through open windows at DeSmet late at night during finals week.
    My first cross-country race in which Don Kardong ran.

list could go on.
    What is search?

What is search?
    Who is Fred?

Ammo banking in the 3PT shot against OSU at Key Arena

Steve Nash upending our nation-leading home winning streak in the Kennel in 1992/1993 season.

What is search?
    Search relates to the spirtuality mission of the university.

Search Retreats: The Search program has been at Gonzaga since the late 1960's. Thousands of Gonzaga students, mostly Juniors and Seniors, have "searched" on one of the four programs offered annually at Gonzaga's Bozarth Retreat Center.

http://www.gonzaga.edu/Student-Life/...rituality1.asp

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    Search relates to the spirtuality mission of the university.

Search Retreats: The Search program has been at Gonzaga since the late 1960's. Thousands of Gonzaga students, mostly Juniors and Seniors, have "searched" on one of the four programs offered annually at Gonzaga's Bozarth Retreat Center.

http://www.gonzaga.edu/Student-Life/...rituality1.asp
    Very cool. Thanks for the explanation

What is search?
    Was going to reply, got sidetracked and noticed that others filled you in. I'm with Kitz... was one of my fondest moments at GU.

Kitz, did we ever work/attend Search at the same time?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Watching the Zags thump GA Tech @ Vegas in the company of fellow Class of 79 grads

Watched the Zags beat SMC with the same group of grads+ a few more at the 08-09 WCC Tourney Final

Attending the SMC @ GU game in K2 on 3/1/08. . .first & possibly the only time I'll see the team @ home. . .this one gave me chills.

The non-basketball stuff:

Getting married in the Jesuit House chapel with Fr. Costello presiding

Was an RA in DeSmet Senior Year

Working on the GU Bulletin six of 8 semesters.

And the life-long friendships that started in Catherine-Monica, Alliance House, and Roncalli. . .
    Last edited by RenoZag; 07-17-2010 at 07:38 PM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Wearing a face mask in a pandemic isn't a political choice. It's an IQ test.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Watching the Zags thump GA Tech @ Vegas in the company of fellow Class of 79 grads
    I was at this game also with a good friend and fellow GU Alum of 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Was going to reply, got sidetracked and noticed that others filled you in. I'm with Kitz... was one of my fondest moments at GU.

Kitz, did we ever work/attend Search at the same time?
    Wow, you are going to make me go to the way back machine.

Did Search spring my Jr year (88-89) and then worked a fall search and a spring search my Sr year (89-90), back on both.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

wow... were to begin....

Basketball related:
    Camping out for ESPN College Gameday / GU vs Stanford
    WCC Tournaments (@ GU and in Vegas)
    sitting in the front row of the Kennel Club (many games, but especially for U of I - the first game my freshman year)
    Meech's runner @ last years NCAA 2nd game in Portland

Non-Basketball:
    Serpentine
    SEARCH (but really who is this fred dude ), Montserrat & other retreats
    Gonzaga-in-Florence
    Around the World
    Senior Ball
    Kings of the West Coast!

T.B.I.Y.T.C.

Been watching the Boone Avenue lads play since 1957, almost as long as Hondo. Many great memories, but one does stand out for me.

It was Stockton's freshman or sophomore year. The Zags are playing Santa Clara in K1. Zags run their boring "patience" offense and get their rear ends handed to them in the first half, down by 15. I'm told coach Hillock throws a hissy fit in the locker room and tells the boys to do what they want in the second 20 minutes. With the shackles off Stockon gets the ball to open the half and drives to the hole, makes it and gets fouled. He makes the free throw and steals the inbounds pass and makes the bucket. Five points and only three seconds off the clock. The memoy is a little fuzzy and he may have been fouled on the second layin as well, making it 6 points. Regardless, the Broncos' eyes are as big as baseballs and they never recover and the Zags win going away.

I'm walking out of the game with one of my older brothers and he says "something tells me that many years from now we're going to remember Johnny as something more than the little kid who grew up down the block."
    They turned out to be the most prophetic words I would ever hear him say.
    Last edited by jhoop; 07-13-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: grammar

WestsideZag2424 Guest

1) The first time I participated in Zombie Nation during Midnight Madness my freshman year. I seriously think rooting so hard that night led to Mono hitting me so hard the next week that I lost 15lbs, but it was worth it.

2) The first couple minutes of the St. Mary's game in 2008, when Steve had the 2 breakaway dunks in a row. After a whole week camping in zero degree weather, it was amazing.

3) Ira's dunk; you know the one. Greatest dunk I've ever seen in person, it was amazing. I was 3rd row of the student section on that end so it was right in front of me and I saw the whole thing building up. Gives me chills every time I watch the replay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrGQWlxybxQ

Didn't count it in the top 3 because only half of it was in person, but watching Meech's runner with some GU buddies at The Ram in U-Village in Seattle and then walking over to Hec Ed to see the girls win their first ever NCAA tourney game. Everyone in the Ram was rooting for us by the way, so don't say UW fans hate GU

Jeremy Pargo's speech after the game on senior night. He was hilarious.

1. Calvary Tip in Florida

2. Mathews 3 pointer against West Virginia

3. Zach dominating last minutes of South Carolina game