Thread: What's on deck for the Zag players for summer? FIBA, Zambia, Summer School + ?

Default What's on deck for the Zag players for summer? FIBA, Zambia, Summer School + ?

Obviously, they'll all deserve and enjoy some home time, though as I recall, Rob and Steven hardly ever left the 509 last summer.

So what shared time might the new players and returning players have to play some pick up ball and work together informally?

Elias:
    Hopefully spending some time at home with his family, then training camp for the German National Team. Important dates:
    • Late July - Early August - Training Camp: No idea when that might begin and end this year, but last year it ran from July 28-August 6.

• August 13-15 - Supercup tournament in Bamberg: Against Croatia, Lithuania and Turkey - three other sides that will at the FIBA World Championship. (Link)

• August 20 - 22 - Last Two Warm-up games before Turkey, v. Puerto Rico, in Bonn: (Link from above)

• August 28 - September 12: World Championships in Turkey

Rob Sacre and any other Zags Who Might Play for the Canadian National Senior Men in the FIBA 2010 World championships (Link to Canada's FIBA Team Page): Anyone have a feel for whether Rob or any of the other Zags might be tapped for the Senior Men's Team, whether for training camp, or exhibition games, or for the regular team? Last year Rob and Bol (I think) went to training camp, and Rob played in some exhibition games, but then Rob returned to Spokane to work on his game (with Casey).

IMO, Canada is always late with info on their website regarding their National (or other) teams. In the meantime, any speculation here?

Summer School: To the extent individual players attend summer school, do they tend to attend the same session so they'll have a chance to scrimmage together (independent of staff supervision - i.e. play some pick-up balls) and bond further as a group? If so, which session is most likely for them to attend? Marquise Carter said in Meehan's blog he expected to arrive in Spokane in late June. (Academic Calendar for Summer School is here.) Shall we assume Elias forgoes summer school, due to his crowded schedule, so no chance he'd be able to play with Marquise in summer if Marquise doesn't arrive until the end of June?

Steven in Zambia: : I seem to recall this Gonzaga program will take place in early summer. Is this link the correct link for the program Steven will be part of? Information anyone?

Every one of the topics in this tread probably deserve its own post, and will likely eventually end up with one, but this was helpful to me to begin to get a handle on what summer might look like for a Gonzaga basketball fan suffering from withdrawal with season's end.
    Last edited by ZagNative; 04-16-2010 at 06:36 AM.

During a televised interview early season SG was asked what he had worked on off season. He responded "nothing". This obviously shocked the interviewer (and me too!) but SG quickly added he worked on his dribbling some. IMHO SG is a natural athlete with tremendous talent but his comment made me wonder what the players really do in the off season. In my day Coach had an exit interview with a no nonsense eye to eye discussion on what we needed to work on before next fall. It's far more complex now.

Happily, Gonzaga is committed to the development of the whole human being, academic, athletic, spiritual, citizen, both of this country and of the world. Steven made some prescient remarks in an article in the Bainbridge Review in 2007 (no longer available on line, but quoted in the last post on the Steven Gray thread in the HOF):
    BR: When you talk about the future, what do you see yourself doing? Do you see yourself in the NBA or saying "OK, if that doesn't work out, I'll find some other interest that I like and maybe I can make a career out of it?"

SG: I'm still trying to figure that out. It'd be nice to go to the NBA, but if it doesn't, it's not going to be the end of the world. I'm going to work hard to try and get to that point, because things would be a lot easier when you have that much money. I want to try and evaluate what I enjoy doing and what things are important to me and I what I feel are important to me.

I'm not really sure what I want to do, what I'm thinking - because I was talking to Mr. Lewis and he did PeaceCorps. He went to Africa for a couple of years. You have one tree, a mud shack and he's teaching in the school. He said it was one of the most interesting (experiences) and it changed him.

I'm thinking of some way you can give back. There are people out there that have it a lot worse than we do. I just want to help in someway - I don't know what exactly that is yet, but something along those lines.

We learned a lot about Africa in Contemporary World Issues with Mr. Zarling and he's showing us - have you seen Invisible Children?

BR: I don't think I have.
    SG: It's a documentary and it shows kids that run - they have to commute in large groups (in Northern Uganda) because they have people come and take kids in the middle of the night and become child soldiers.

It's crazy just to think there's 12, 13, 14-year-old kids going through (this) and I come out and play basketball every day. It makes my life so much more - I don't know. It just makes things a lot easier for me just to know that I'm just out here playing (basketball). I don't have to worry about anything. I can just come out and play basketball. It's helped to relax me a lot. Thinking there's so many worse things going on (so) I have nothing to worry about with this basketball game. It doesn't matter who we're playing. It's just a game. It's helped having my eyes open to what's going on outside this little community.
    I love that kid!

Me too. It's great to see a 4 and done with a global awareness and a self awareness like SG. Contrast Gonzaga with Kentucky. Good to be a Zag fan.

Of the 4 Canadians on the team this is how I see things going.

Rob will be invited to the senior team tryouts with a chance to make the team. He will have a hard time if all the bigs available show up... Joel Anthony and Jamal Magloire (about time) from the Miami Heat, along with Jesse Young and Levon Kendall will be there. Word is that Matt Bonner will have his Canadian citizenship and will suit up for the red and white. If Matt is cleared to play Kong will not even be eligible to play due to FIBA rules.

Arop and Olynyk will be with the the Junior team as will Marc Trasolini from Santa Clara.

Kelly and Manny will play big rolls with this team and should benefit from the added responsibilities.

To me it looks like Rob and Bol will be around campus most of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Happily, Gonzaga is committed to the development of the whole human being, academic, athletic, spiritual, citizen, both of this country and of the world. Steven made some prescient remarks in an article in the Bainbridge Review in 2007 (no longer available on line, but quoted in the last post on the Steven Gray thread in the HOF):I love that kid!
    Thank you for the Q&A, had not seen it before...he is a very special person, that has given much thought to his future and how he can "help" people, who truly need it!

CanadianZagFan, what big events are planned for the Canadian Junior Men's team?

I had in mind the FIBA World Championships for the Senior Men, and the U-17's in Hamburg for the Cadets (Kevin Pangos).

The U-18 Americas tournament is in June in San Antonio, but I am not aware of any events for the juniors like Olynyk and Arop.

I may have thought is was the U20 team that was going to a world event, but it is the u17 team.

One other thing to keep in mind for current (and past) Zag players for summer:

From the basketball camp webpage: "led by the coaching staff, current and former collegiate players."

It would be nice if that graphic means D-Rav will be on campus this summer to help with the camps, and, perhaps, be available to scrimmage with current Zags. Wonder who else from the past might be in town to help with the camps? I wonder if John Stockton works with the campers ...

ID ZAGFAN Guest

One other thing to keep in mind for current (and past) Zag players for summer:

From the basketball camp webpage: "led by the coaching staff, current and former collegiate players."

It would be nice if that graphic means D-Rav will be on campus this summer to help with the camps, and, perhaps, be available to scrimmage with current Zags. Wonder who else from the past might be in town to help with the camps? I wonder if John Stockton works with the campers ...
    And maybe coach some of the current Zags in free-throw shooting?

ID ZAGFAN

Fingers crossed this thread stays focused on the kids' possible summer plans, rather than evaluations of individual players and prognostications about the team's future.

I know: I'm a dreamer.

ID ZAGFAN Guest

Steven in Zambia: : I seem to recall this Gonzaga program will take place in early summer. Is this link the correct link for the program Steven will be part of? Information anyone?

Anyone know if Steven will be doing a blog of his experience in Zambia? I would love to follow it.

ZAGRANNY

I don't see Rob making the Canadian National team and I would think that he would only go to the tryouts if it worked into his summer schedule as his priority seems to be working with Zag staff off season. One day he will play for Canada again, but that is a few years away. Kelly/Manny may get invites as well, just to see how they have progressed, but reality is that they will have a much quieter summer than last year.

Thank you, Ozzy. Your contributions here are always valuable.

It would be nice if that graphic means D-Rav will be on campus this summer to help with the camps, and, perhaps, be available to scrimmage with current Zags.
    I will be all over that! Happens to coincide with my plans to be in Spokane. I think it's destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskazagnut View Post
    We were all shocked with Heytvelt's behavior when it came out. There is stuff going on behind the scenes that we don't want to believe. We have to accept that not every guy that dons a Zag jersey is gonna be the hardest working guy in the NCAA's. The culture at Gonzaga is gonna change and be less complacent and less status quo. It's gonna be stricter and more focussed at getting to the final four. They all need to step it up a notch in the off-season and not take winning the WCC for granted anymore.
    In the spirit of keeping things on the Zags' summer plans, I'll just say that Steve Gray amazes me, in a good way, more than any player I can remember. How this guy is not the face of the university (I mean that 100%) is beyond me. People here used to brag about people having "Zag Material." I think such a characterization is ridiculous, but if anyone has ever been made of Zag Material, it's Steve Gray. Educating people the world needs most, and what not.

ID ZAGFAN Guest

Default Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGallego View Post
    In the spirit of keeping things on the Zags' summer plans, I'll just say that Steve Gray amazes me, in a good way, more than any player I can remember. How this guy is not the face of the university (I mean that 100%) is beyond me. People here used to brag about people having "Zag Material." I think such a characterization is ridiculous, but if anyone has ever been made of Zag Material, it's Steve Gray. Educating people the world needs most, and what not.
    +1,000,000

Zagranny