Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So Rice is gone, what do you look for in an assistant?

Butler's defensive coach.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    originally from the West side of the State and knows the Seattle area -

Get me Jeff Brown.
    I thought Brown was from Spokane. Mead, I think. He just went to UW for a year before transferring. Could be wrong, though.

I feel like they're going to promote Hernandez. He's paid his dues.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I think another person that comes to mind who has these qualities is Errol Knight. I would definitely like to see more Errol Knights coming to GU to play basketball. And he does have a connection to the Seattle/Tacoma area.
    Knight would be an interesting addition for recruiting. He, along with Micah Downs and Austin Daye, was probably one of the three most-highly prized high school recruits ever to land at GU. Like Downs, he picked a BCS school before coming here and found Gonzaga to be a much better fit for him after he transferred. It would be interesting to let him sell his comparative experiences at UW and Gonzaga when he speaks to kids who are being recruited by both schools.

On that thought, Dan Dickau, Jeff Brown, and Erroll Knight were all transfers from UW. Have we ever given them a talent like that as a transfer? Has any credible Gonzaga player ever transferred to UW?

Default I think Few will honor the succession process, but

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    I thought Brown was from Spokane. Mead, I think. He just went to UW for a year before transferring. Could be wrong, though.

I feel like they're going to promote Hernandez. He's paid his dues.
    maybe at the lower end he could find someone with a fresh set of eyes and an urge to be a climber.

Kind of like a redshirt coach who can energize the base, gain some experience himself, and yet understands he is not necessarily looking to grow old in SpoCANE or at Gon ZAW GUH.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Butler's defensive coach.
    +1
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Seems we're skirting around the issue a little bit here. I would love to see an African American on the staff.
    I would love to see Coach Few get the best assistant he can - I don't care if he's green, with big purple polka-dots. Just hire the best.

Quote Originally Posted by thickman1 View Post
    I would love to see Coach Few get the best assistant he can - I don't care if he's green, with big purple polka-dots. Just hire the best.
    I'm rooting for pink flowers.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

What about Richard Fox? Sure he's a color commentary guy, but he seems to have a pretty good grasp of X's and O's and he's also somebody who's been there and done that.

Odds are folks that Few is going to be hiring: a) someone with previous heading coaching or assistant experience -OR- b) a current grad assistant.

In other words, he isn't likely going to be pulling your favorite ex-Zag out of the closet and putting him on the staff, although I wouldn't mind seeing Hondo on the bench

Hondo would be a superb hire...

...for offseason diet to add bulk.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Default Are You Ready?

JUDD HEATHCOATE...maybe he is tired of yard work now...

For me, GU is on the edge of taking the next step in basketball power/program rankings. I would like to see an asst. who can help us make that step to the next level. IMO, recruiting is going to be the most important aspect of that. We need an asst. who can tap into the markets that we have trouble getting into, and taking advantage of his relationships he's developed in his other jobs. Working with the bigs will be critical too.

As much as I like people like Casey Calvary, et. al, I don't see them as having the above ability. We need someone who can help us start landing more and more of the 4 and 5 star recruits (that meet our program profile), and open the doors so we can be even more competitive on the national level. As good as GU is, and as far as we've grown, these next steps are really hard to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I would really like to see Gonzaga hire either Casey Calvary or Matt Santangelo. I think that both of these guys understand what it means to be a Zag, and that is huge when going after young men.
    Dan Dickau

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
    2001-02 32 34.7 21.0 44.1 45.7 86.4 4.7 3.0 0.1 0.8
    2000-01 24 33.7 18.9 48.5 48.0 86.6 6.3 3.3 0.1 0.9

Redshirt under a senior Santangelo

1998-99 (WASH) 13 22.8 4.6 39.3 35.5 71.4 2.6 2.9 0.0 0.8
    1997-98 (WASH) 28 9.4 3.8 42.0 53.3 79.5 1.0 0.9 0.0 0.3

Though, I don't know it Matt S. is interested in coaching per se.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Default Recruiting

Cameron Dollar to G.U? About as much chance as Kendall Yards or the Great Gorge Park becoming Reality! He intends to build S.U. into a strong Division 1 Program, and would love to play the Zags anywhere anytime. Zags need to keep track of AAU players. This is where players like Brandon Roy and all of the west side talent come from. You can coach speed and defending the three point shot all you want, but you need athetes that can compete at the next level.
    Hope we have any coaches remaining after all the rumours and interviews are done!

Default Yes>>dickau

Dan is well known and respected in the NW, especially in Portland / Vancouver where a lot of our talent has come from. He makes 2.4 M for sitting on the bench now, but is he still under contract? Love that guy. Great choice, let's go get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedster View Post
    For me, GU is on the edge of taking the next step in basketball power/program rankings. I would like to see an asst. who can help us make that step to the next level. IMO, recruiting is going to be the most important aspect of that. We need an asst. who can tap into the markets that we have trouble getting into, and taking advantage of his relationships he's developed in his other jobs. Working with the bigs will be critical too.

As much as I like people like Casey Calvary, et. al, I don't see them as having the above ability. We need someone who can help us start landing more and more of the 4 and 5 star recruits (that meet our program profile), and open the doors so we can be even more competitive on the national level. As good as GU is, and as far as we've grown, these next steps are really hard to achieve.
    +1

Let's swing for the fences and hire a proven Coach who'd be grateful to join our staff. Some new blood, new philosophies, coaching techniques would all be welcome. I love the loyalty of our coaching tree and I'm almost positive we'll most likely hire from within(Its just Few's style w/friends, confidants, and grad assistants). They've all learned under Few, so that's just fine by me, but why not at least try to secure an Asst Coach who has recruiting ties and network? It'd be just as critical or important as any Top-100 recruit, imo. It doesn't have to be a D1 Coach either, there are some top-level coaches at the D2 or JUCO level. What about Whitworth's Head Coach or Idaho's or Pacific or Montana St or an Oregon St assistant, something along those lines...

Not really worth the time or effort to ponder, b/c Coach Few is busy recruiting players and probably won't waste much time recruiting a future asst coach. I'm sure it'll be either Alex Hernandez or Brian Michaelson. that is the discussion we should be having.

As much as I liked all the former players people have kicked around as options, I don't know if they can coach at all. If they can, great, sign em up.

But I'd like us to get someone who can coach. I always wonder where GU is at on the statistical side of the game. Do they have someone like Wake's Lepore?

http://tourney.si.com/2010/03/19/com...rom-the-bench/

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    As much as I liked all the former players people have kicked around as options, I don't know if they can coach at all. If they can, great, sign em up.

But I'd like us to get someone who can coach. I always wonder where GU is at on the statistical side of the game. Do they have someone like Wake's Lepore?

http://tourney.si.com/2010/03/19/com...rom-the-bench/
    Nice article. Unbelievable how technology can assist Coaches nowadays. Nearly every NCAA football/NFL coaching staff has this system, yet newer to NCAA basketball.

I especially enjoyed this part:

But thanks to Lepore, Coach Gaudio left New Orleans Arena early on Friday morning with a set of detailed, color-coded printouts in his briefcase. They[computer program] outlined the Deacons’ most effective plays, players and lineups--
    We could really use this computer system! It had me at "most effective lineups".

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Dan is well known and respected in the NW, especially in Portland / Vancouver where a lot of our talent has come from. He makes 2.4 M for sitting on the bench now, but is he still under contract? Love that guy. Great choice, let's go get him.
    You guys may balk at suggesting a Coug but Daven Harmeling is going to make his mark coaching somewhere someday. May be a good candidate for GA. Knows how to teach defense, for sure after 5 years under the Bennetts.

He currently works with Dickau in some camps down in SW Washington.

Ernie Kent needs a job, right?

Default brilliant !

Quote Originally Posted by NovaZag View Post
    Ernie Kent needs a job, right?
    send a message, too . . .
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Leon's loss cannot be underestimated. He is Few's right hand man when it comes to the offense. He's a first rate talent evaluator....I mean, this is the guy who convinced Few that it was worth giving a scholarship to a 6-5 guard from Spokane named Adam Morrison. Few didn't want to do it. Leon was also behind Batista and a number of other finds.

Most importantly, Leon, in my estimation, is the single best scout for opponents on the Gonzaga staff. If you go back and look at the games where he was the scout, it's win, win, win. He is a genius at finding opponent weaknesses and setting up a game plan to attack those weaknesses.

I don't know if it's going to be possible to replace his basketball acumen, so for me the most important quality I'm looking for in a replacement is recruiting ability. That means someone who is experienced. Particularly a guy who can help Gonzaga recruit Seattle and other inner city areas throughout the country. The Zags need to continue to get better and better players into their program.
    Leon might have been a singularly reassuring and level-headed guy for in-home visits with prospects' families, as well, making parents feel secure about the supportive environment they'd find on the campus and in the town. It would be hard to find a nicer person in the coaching ranks.

On the one hand, you can't begrudge him the chance to shine in his own right as a HC -- just glad it's a different conference this time around, as GU loses another assistant. He deserves it; good coaching talent should be rewarded with a top position. But he really will leave a big hole. For sure, there might be both an early spotting and early lockdown of Idaho talent, keeping it in-state, with him prowling the h.s. games. Cory Violette was a good find; next one up might be a nice one too. Ray G. seems to get the credit for that recruiting effort.

Not even going to speculate on former players who might be great additions, or current coaches out there who might be #1 good and #2 interested. I always figure that Few knows 195% more than anybody else about what his needs are, and that his connections in the coaching fraternity inform his decisions about how best to get them met. I wonder if he'll be active this year, during the usual visits by most D-1 coaches to watch the Final Four. That seems to serve as an annual Informal Jobs Fair for open slots on coaching staffs, if a decision is made to go in the direction of a hire with prior coaching experience elsewhere.

Leon might have been a singularly reassuring and level-headed guy for in-home visits with prospects' families, as well, making parents feel secure about the supportive environment they'd find on the campus and in the town. It would be hard to find a nicer person in the coaching ranks.
    100% agree.

This guy. Add 22-6 this year and a conference championship and conference coach of the year award to what's listed on the page (plus a Spokane native).

http://www.spufalcons.com/staff.aspx?staff=6

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Odds are folks that Few is going to be hiring: a) someone with previous heading coaching or assistant experience -OR- b) a current grad assistant.

In other words, he isn't likely going to be pulling your favorite ex-Zag out of the closet and putting him on the staff, although I wouldn't mind seeing Hondo on the bench
    I hope this is the case. I'm not sure that any of the ex-players being mentioned have coaching and recruiting skills. Besides, as big as GU's program has become it would be good to have someone come in with experience and contacts outside the Zag family. Remember Few and the most of the current staff were not GU folks to begin with.