Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Rice is gone, what do you look for in an assistant?

Default So Rice is gone, what do you look for in an assistant?

Tommy Lloyd is a great international recruiter.

Giacoletti is our defense guy.

Rice was our guy at developing bigs.

Personally I would like to see us bring in a guy that really knows how to recruit. Few is a good gameplan coach and is fantastic at player development, yet to ascend to the top I feel like we need a guy that has great AAU ties and really knows how to get it done with signing kids.

I feel as if guys like Calvary have stuck around to help the bigs develop while Stockton helps with the guards.

We are missing that recruiter that can absolutely get it done on the american AAU circuit.

What does everyone else think?
    It's F4 or bust.

I would like to see a big with NBA experience, or at least Euro time.

I think we should hire the father of a "one and done" as a "technical advisor.
    I miss Mike Hart

Some qualified diversity on the staff would be welcome..

Would Casey C. be a good addition to the staff ?

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by deathchina View Post
    I agree I think it would be good to look outside a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Would Casey C. be a good addition to the staff ?
    I definitely think so. In addition, it might be really helpful to get a guy that knows the west side of the state well.... we have missed out on so many recruits to UW in the last ten years.
    It's F4 or bust.

Coach Few doesn't sound really excited about the AAU circuit. Here's what he said in a recent NY Times article:

Most programs in this N.C.A.A. tournament, from Gonzaga and St. Mary’s to Syracuse and Kentucky, rely on A.A.U. affiliations for a supply of talent.

At some programs, there is an accepted give and take, ranging from A.A.U. coaches getting employment within the university to an illicit exchange of money.

Recruiting through the A.A.U. has become a fact of life, although some coaches, like Gonzaga’s Mark Few, try to limit their reliance. “I just chose to stay out of it,” he said.

For a coach with integrity, bending the rules is problematic. Can you win without operating in a gray area?

You have to talk to A.A.U. coaches, Boeheim said. “That doesn’t mean you have to go in a gray area — I don’t even know what that means,” he said. “Bend the rules, I don’t know what that is. You can’t bend the rules; you either break it or you don’t. There is not bending to me. You either do or don’t.”
    The article was about the firing of the coach at St. John's and the whole business side of college basketball.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Give me Pendo!

Quote Originally Posted by pbriz View Post
    ....it might be really helpful to get a guy that knows the west side of the state well.... we have missed out on so many recruits to UW in the last ten years.
    Do you think Cameron Dollar would want to come and be an asst. at GU?

Defense, Recruiting, Rebounding.

Quote Originally Posted by GorgeZag View Post
    Defense, Recruiting, Rebounding.
    Man I know CC fills 2/3 of that requirement, and it might be a good recruiting tool to have a player who was on the 1 EE and 3 SS runs!
    11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

I really don't see why people are so bothered about our defense. Last year we were top 20 Def Effeciency, and this year we were still top 20% in the NCAA - with a very young team. I would expect next year to be top 15 or so in defensive efficiency.

It may not be the type of defense folks want, but it works, and the numbers back it up. Really, defense is the least of my worries as far as "needs" - someone who can coach rebounding technique, and skills-coach our bigs is where I see our biggest opportunities. Someone who can refine shooting form and technique would be great alternatively.

In any case, let's hope Tommy doesn't follow Leon to Boise.
    Last edited by Once and Future Zag; 03-26-2010 at 06:48 AM.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Default Diversity

Quote Originally Posted by deathchina View Post
    I agree, and believe the term "diversity" has lots of meanings, MANY of which are worthy of considering.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by primal23 View Post
    Man I know CC fills 2/3 of that requirement, and it might be a good recruiting tool to have a player who was on the 1 EE and 3 SS runs!
    CD's a tool alright...

I agree, and believe the term "diversity" has lots of meanings, MANY of which are worthy of considering.
    Seems we're skirting around the issue a little bit here. I would love to see an African American on the staff.

Default who's to say someone doesn't accompany to Boise

such as Alex, for example (just throwing that out - I know nothing), as Kyle did with USD?

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    I really don't see why people are so bothered about our defense. Last year we were top 20 Def Effeciency, and this year we were still top 20% in the NCAA - with a very young team. I would expect next year to be top 15 or so in defensive efficiency.

It may not be the type of defense folks want, but it works, and the numbers back it up. Really, defense is the least of my worries as far as "needs" - someone who can coach rebounding technique, and skills-coach our bigs is where I see our biggest opportunities. Someone who can refine shooting form and technique would be great alternatively.

In any case, let's hope Tommy doesn't follow Leon to Boise.
    I agree. We have a plethora of young bigs that could use the help. I'd like to see someone from outside the GU organization come in. We have a great group of coaches currently, so this isn't a knock on them. Could bring some fresh ideas and different perspectives to help enhance the program even further.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy b View Post
    such as Alex, for example (just throwing that out - I know nothing), as Kyle did with USD?
    i was thinking the same thing....or Michelson, either one.

Default Leon is a huge loss

Leon's loss cannot be underestimated. He is Few's right hand man when it comes to the offense. He's a first rate talent evaluator....I mean, this is the guy who convinced Few that it was worth giving a scholarship to a 6-5 guard from Spokane named Adam Morrison. Few didn't want to do it. Leon was also behind Batista and a number of other finds.

Most importantly, Leon, in my estimation, is the single best scout for opponents on the Gonzaga staff. If you go back and look at the games where he was the scout, it's win, win, win. He is a genius at finding opponent weaknesses and setting up a game plan to attack those weaknesses.

I don't know if it's going to be possible to replace his basketball acumen, so for me the most important quality I'm looking for in a replacement is recruiting ability. That means someone who is experienced. Particularly a guy who can help Gonzaga recruit Seattle and other inner city areas throughout the country. The Zags need to continue to get better and better players into their program.

Did our pipeline to Europe just dry up? His recruiting ability was amazing. Will it be years before we get another Turiaf or Harris?
    SDZag does not represent the opinions of San Diego just the San Diegians on the Foo!

Did our pipeline to Europe just dry up? His recruiting ability was amazing. Will it be years before we get another Turiaf or Harris?
    Tommy Lloyd is in charge of international recruiting.

Hire Coach Robert Knight...genius, recruiter, and available

I'd like to see a top-tier former Zag big man.

Go get the most over-achieving big man in school history, a two-time WCC player of the year, a guy who had amazing low post moves and dominated on the glass, a guy who was a three-time Academic All-American, a guy who was originally from the West side of the State and knows the Seattle area -

Get me Jeff Brown.

And while you're at it, retire his number.

I would really like to see Gonzaga hire either Casey Calvary or Matt Santangelo. I think that both of these guys understand what it means to be a Zag, and that is huge when going after young men. I would like to see Gonzaga hire from within the family, as Coach K does at Duke.

I would like to see a coach who has passion and who is tough. I would like to see more of both of these quallities in new recruits. I think Casey Calvary has both. I think another person that comes to mind who has these qualities is Errol Knight. I would definitely like to see more Errol Knights coming to GU to play basketball. And he does have a connection to the Seattle/Tacoma area.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!