Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First look at Florida State

Quote Originally Posted by Zagatak View Post
    Will the zags be coming out with a zone to try and force them to shoot outside?
    I expect you will see a mix.

I am almost certain that you will see the Zags press and trap more than you have ever seen from them before. Ever. They absolutely want to stop the FSU offense before they can get into position for post feeds. Their weakest link is turnovers.

I expect you will see more zone than usual.

Here is the bright spot. If the Zags get a sizeable lead, FSU is not good enough offensively to make a comeback unless they create offense through their defense. The only way they could make up the difference is to shut the Zag offense completely down. That is how they make their "runs".

Turnover margin is a huge, huge statistic for this game. I have much confidence in Mark Few's ability to game plan this one.
    I miss Mike Hart

The posters on the FSU board seem to think that Singleton will guard Bouldin. That would make things very tough on Matt, so others would need to step up in the scoring effort - specifically Harris and Gray.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    The posters on the FSU board seem to think that Singleton will guard Bouldin. That would make things very tough on Matt, so others would need to step up in the scoring effort - specifically Harris and Gray.
    I wonder then who would guard Harris? To me that would be a good match-up for us. I'm sure the FSU coach knows about Elias, but maybe their fans are discounting him. This will be a tough game, but I think we can step up to the challenge.

FLAZAG-- Posted this in another thread. Curious as to your take on the match-ups.

I'm curious as to how they will play against Matt and Steven. Both their starting guards (Kitchen and Snaer) are equal in size at 6'4" and 6'5", but both are around 200lbs. They also have Reid at one of the forward spots and he is 6'8/235. I'd guess Snaer will be on Meech with Kitchen on either Gray or Bouldin. I'm guessing Gray and they put Reid on Bouldin to match his weight and give him some length. That could cause some trouble for Matt, though I'm not sure how quick Reid is as Matt has that surprisingly quick first step.

I'd guess Singleton will play on Harris. This will be the match-up to watch and probably will go a long ways in deciding the game. Elias will have to take care of the ball as it sounds like Singleton is great at creating turnovers (or at least capitalizing on the ones the team creates).

Sacre is also going to have to play a tough inside game. I would be more happy to see him rebound tough as opposed to score a lot. We are also going to have to push the ball up and try to score quickly and not get slogged down in the offensive end. As some have said, could this be the game Bol makes a huge splash on the national stage? I hope so!

I'm sure Few and Co. already have a game plan drawn up. We do have a lot of scoring options, so FSU will have to be on their game at multiple positions and not try to shut down just one or two players.

I keep thinking back to the Cincy game and how bruising it was. That's what I picture of this game. I think this is definitely where it pays off the OOC schedule we played (whether the other teams have high RPI's or not). We've played far away from home and in some very trying and difficult venues (NY, Maui, Illinois, Memphis).

If this team can focus, and I think they can, I think they can win this. They've shown they can get up for big stretches of games, and this is the BIG one.

Default I think the biggest problem for any FSU opponent....

...is the worry as to which team will show up. In games where the offense suddenly clicked, the team looked quite devastating.

The D is always there (although sometimes completely blind to stopping what's working for the other guys, as we just do our thing and let them do whatever it is they are going to ultimately torch us with again and again, without even simple adjustments....).

When we have the ball, you will almost certainly see lots of random turnovers (I respect the Zag's ability to force the same, but we would turn the ball over 12-15 times against a team of corpses), and at least one 7-10 minute scoreless (or less than 2 or 3 points anyway) stretch.

It's frustrating as all heck watching this team.

I think the sentiment of a few on this board that being sent to buffalo is some disadvantage for GU is overblown. Buffalo might as well be Mars in relation to Tally, and if I'm a board neutral fan I'm more likely to cheer to for the Zags than the Noles.

Do Ted Turner and Jane Fonda still go to Noles games? Just kidding....

Default Jane is history, but Ted is around

Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    Do Ted Turner and Jane Fonda still go to Noles games? Just kidding....
    He owns a huge plantation not 20 miles outside of town. It's a little known fact that many of the few surviving southern plantations are right around Tally, particularly between Tally and Thomasville, Ga.

Default A prophesy

Should the first from the hand of the gray one fall,
    Thus is the path made bare and the rough road paved.
    Should such stroke be amiss, head will hang longer than hand,
    And on the fickle whims of fate will the fortunes of dogs rely.

Beautiful...and possibly true.

A look behind FSU's ACC Conference record:

FSU finished third in the ACC with a regular season record of 10-6 and the Seminoles were 0-1 in the ACC Tournament. Like all over-sized BCS Conferences, FSU played an unbalanced conference schedule.

Against the top half of the ACC, the Seminoles went 2-5.

Against #1 Duke, FSU lost 1 Away game.

Against #2 Maryland, FSU lost 1 Away and lost 1 @ Home.

Against #4 VA Tech, FSU won 1 @ Home.

Against #5 Clemson, FSU lost 1 Away and lost 1 @ Home.

Against #6 Wake Forest, FSU won 1 @ Home.

Against the bottom half of the ACC, the Seminoles went 8-2.

Against #7 GA Tech, FSU won 1 Away and won 1 @ Home.

Against #8 Boston College, FSU won 1 Away and won 1 @ Home.

Against #9, NC State, FSU lost 1 @ Home and lost 1 Neutral.

Against #10, UNC, FSU won 1 Away game.

Against #11, UVA, FSU won 1 Away game.

Against #12, Miami (Fla), FSU won 1 @ Home and won 1 Away game.

OOC, FSU's best win was against Marquette 57-56 at a neutral site. FSU's two OOC loses were to Florida and to Ohio St. both Away games.

We aren't gonna win this game without some outside scoring...in fact more outside scoring will be required to have a chance. We need as many attempts as possible. Instead of getting pass crazy we need to screen for players to get an open look....ala "WILL STYLE" . The noles love lots of weak passes as they will gobble them up.....PAC MAN style.

I agree about the passing, but think we need to try and get their post player in foul trouble, which should then help our rebounding. We need Harris to be active in getting to the hole, and hope the refs will call fouls that he draws. Sacre will have to be active in the paint also. If Singleton is on Harris rather than Bouldin, then Matt or Steven have to get to the basket on occasion.

A few threes won't hurt, but I'd hate to rely on that.

We might get some turnovers (they are susceptable to that) and run outs. They will be surprised how well we run the floor.

HOOPSWORLD's pick: Gonzaga

(8) Gonzaga Bulldogs: Gonzaga is headed for its 12th consecutive NCAA Tournament after starting the season outside of the Top 25 and losing four starters from last year's team to professional basketball. Freshman forward Elias Harris came out of relative obscurity to help the Gonzaga win its tenth consecutive West Coast Conference Championship and playing his way into the first round of the 2010 NBA Draft. Harris, along with senior Matt Bouldin and junior Steven Gray, earned first team All-WCC honors this season while leading the team in rebounding and finishing second (behind Bouldin) in scoring at 14.7 points per game. This was thought to be a re-building year for Gonzaga and, in some ways, it has been. The Zags, while playing one of the most difficult non-conference schedules in the country, have only one win outside of WCC play against an RPI Top 25 team (74-61 over Wisconsin on a neutral court on Nov. 24) and have two miserable losses (RPI No. 204 San Francisco and RPI No. 176 Loyola-Marymount).

(9) Florida State Seminoles: Leonard Hamilton has one of deepest rotations in the country, playing nine players at least 13 minutes per game and getting after it defensively. Florida State leads the nation in field goal percentage defense and ranks inside the top 28 in four other defensive categories, steals per game (8.4), blocked shots per game (6.3), rebound margin (5.2) and scoring defense (60.2). Solomon Alabi and Chris Singleton form arguably the nation's best pair of defensive big men, combining for nearly four blocks and three steals per game while helping the Seminoles to a 22-9 (10-6 ACC) record. Florida State lacks a statement win on it resume, but did sweep the season series with Georgia Tech. On the other hand, the Seminoles went 0-3 against the RPI Top 25 and were swept by a North Carolina State team that won just five games in the ACC this year.

HOOPSWORLD's pick: Gonzaga. The Bulldogs will push the pace, using early offense and transition buckets to take Florida State's inside duo of Solomon Alabi and Chris Singleton out of the game.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/college/st...STORY_ID=15579

Default Keys to the Game

Quote Originally Posted by SFZAG95 View Post
    this gets me excited as long as we are not playing the early game back there...sounds like we should be fine as long as bouldin gray and harris get on their game.
    IMHO, I firmly believe the key is:

A. The play of Robert: (1) staying out of foul trouble early; (2) keeping his man off the boards; and (3) getting the ball and scoring early & often.

B. Elias getting into the flow early

C. Executing in Transition

D. Strong perimeter defense, which will help our front line.

It wouldn't hurt for us to limit our TO's and hit our FT's.

Ok honestly I see Goodson and Olynik as big keys to this game. Meech pushing the tempo and NOT going to the rim with 4 guys pusing 7 feet tall under there to deny him and Kelly for some craftiness that he has consistantly shown. Yeah hes had a little slump lately but if he has a good game to back up Rob and Will inside and get a few steals, it could free up Harris and Kong outside for turning point 3's and of course Gray and Bouldin need to do their scoring thing throughout the game. I think we have a real good shot at FSU. The next game ater that, well lets just say I'm hoping to see history made when a #16 takes down a #1

Default Motivated?

Both FSU and GU had great early season records. Both slipped considerably toward the end of the season. Seems to me that both teams have the horses to win the game, and it might just come down to which coaching staff is better able to motivate their team to return to early season winning form. My money is on Few and his staff.

GU does not want to get behind FSU early. They appear to have a very effective "lock down" style of defense that they can employ if they get a respectable lead. Hope GU inside men can score early and often and that somebody for GU gets a little hot/lucky at the 3 point shot.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I think that this game will come down to Steven. Gray will have the pleasure of defending a highly ranked frosh guard in Snaer. He had a slow start to the year but has been tearing it up lately. Gonzaga has always found a way of letting these type of players go huge in big games and so Gray has a big assignment. Steven has disappeared offensively in games when he has a major defensive assignment. For us to win Steven has to be aggressive offensively. He may not make them all but he can't be tentative.

5 Observations:
    1. Meech is Meech and if we need a runner with 4 seconds left I pick him but am not expecting anything else out of him on the O side of the ball.

2. Key 1B to the game is Matty. Matt cannot be average. He needs to prove that he is one of the greatest guards in Gonzaga history this weekend.

3. Post fouls. If Big Will and Meech are in we play 3 on 5 basketball when on Offense. Rob and Harris keep those arms straight in the air so that you can stay on the court. Also Harris play D!

4. Kelly or Bol has to go into double digit scoring. If Matt, Steven, and Harris combine for 45 that leaves an extra 20-30 points for the win. Rob will have trouble scoring in the post and so that leaves an extra couple buckets that need to put in.

5. Defense. The team needs to play D. FSU doesn't have a dominate player and so the key will be not letting them get hot or go on runs. If we can keep them close I feel we win this game.
    SDZag does not represent the opinions of San Diego just the San Diegians on the Foo!

Default Don't be Intimidated by Size

We don't have to be. Seems like Foster will need to play some big minutes. This game will need coaching adjustments big time. Is it just me, or was Foster the only inside presence we had against the smc LIVE BY THE THREE BALL GAELS? Once he got his minutes, didn't see him again?!

Matt will get double teamed and face guarded throughout. FSU will look at the Duke game tape and recognize the Zags are not the greatest team at beating the press and attempt to take it to GU's ball handlers.

Still think GU can win, but if we have to live by the three, we'll die by it.

Friday afternoon can't come soon enough.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Sdzag mentions Snaer. The FSU board has a post that suggests Snaer become the McDonald's boy that he was in high school, saying that the poster anticipates a travel or other turnover every time Snaer touches the ball. Let's trap this guy (number 21) on every touch and see what happens.

Default Double Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Matt will get double teamed and face guarded throughout. FSU will look at the Duke game tape and recognize the Zags are not the greatest team at beating the press and attempt to take it to GU's ball handlers.

Still think GU can win, but if we have to live by the three, we'll die by it.

Friday afternoon can't come soon enough.
    I've seen FSU play as well and they are a very talented team and believe they will play each of our players even-up, unless Meech is in the game at which point they will "cheat" defensively. I really feel Matt, Steve and Meech will have to hold their own and if they were to double team, then it would be on Elias or if Sacre gets off, then he will see a double team. If BK, Gibbs or GJ are playing then they will be forced to be more honest on defense.

Pressing us might work well and I feel confident that we will take it as an opportunity to move the ball down court and score. Get a two-on-one with Harris and Sacre against their big, who will be playing the "safety." Moving the ball quickly against the press is key...don't dribble through it but find the creases in the zone and then attack it.

FSU can down right play and they will be a very difficult opponent. They are very athletic and we have had issues with athletic teams in the past (Memphis) and hopefully, those issues are in our past. I believe us to be more experienced and with more court savvy as well.

BlueVoodoo07 Guest

Foster will be used for blocks and to suck up fouls so Sacre doesn't get in trouble.

A post on the Noles board:

I watched a couple of the Zags games early in the year and was very impressed with Elias Harris. He's a freshmen and probably even better now. I think Singleton and Reid should be able to contain him somewhat, but he's going to be tough. Bouldin is also good, but I think Snaer and Dulky's should do alright on him. Sacre is pretty physical from what I remember and will probably push Solomon and Xavier around.

Overall, we should match up well with them defensively, but they won't have as much trouble with our size as some teams do.

If the zags play their game they can win. They shouldn't do anything different than they have done all year. Sacre and Harris need to step it up and take ownership of the paint. Our guard need to dominate like they have all year. GU as a team has more than FSU who appears to be all defense and nothing else.

Everything else aside, Few and Co need to make adjustments when needed. I will kick a hole in my TV if I have to watch us do the same thing over and over with no affect.

If they ride Matt like crazy and he gets frustrated then yank him and give him some rest. Go with speed and play a quicker game then get Matt back in when they are a little worn.

I see it like this... if we come down, spend 8 seconds trying to get it into Rob only to have a bad shot and lose the rebound or he puts it on the floor and they immediately steal it then we are in trouble.

If we come down, move the ball with passing instead of dribbling and our first basket is Matt, Steven or Elias on an easy backdoor play then the game is ours to lose.