Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First look at Florida State

Default First look at Florida State

This looks good. They are known as a defensive team. They have played a number of good teams, and played them well. They shoot free throws as poorly as we do (64.6&#37. They are not a great 3 point team, except for the 6'5" Lithuanian Number 4 Dulkys. They spread the scoring out, with one guy at 11.6, another at 10.3, and the third at 8.8. The tallest players are 7'1" (their top scorer), 6'11", 6'9" (number 2 scorer), and 2 at 6'8". The Lithuanian is the number 4 scorer (8.5 points per game).

More later.
    Last edited by rawkmandale; 03-14-2010 at 04:53 PM.

I like the matchup.

The tourney is all about matchups and the Zags got a favorable one.

FSU is a good team, it is just that their makeup and style fits perfectly into what the Zags want in a matchup.

Their size will not overwhelm us like they would many other teams. They are not a great perimeter shooting team. They are not penetrating speed demons. They are not a well oiled machine on offense. In fact, they have a knack of turning the ball over at critical junctures.

They will play good defense and work us inside. If they beat us, that is how they will do it. I think the Zags can kill them in transition. Up tempo is the way to go against this squad. Run those big guys into the ground.
    I miss Mike Hart

this gets me excited as long as we are not playing the early game back there...sounds like we should be fine as long as bouldin gray and harris get on their game.

El Voce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SFZAG95 View Post
    this gets me excited as long as we are not playing the early game back there...sounds like we should be fine as long as bouldin gray and harris get on their game.
    I would imagine the Zags will fly back there on Wednesday, for the Thursday media day events. The team should be pretty well acclimated to the time zone difference by Friday. Anyway, the time zone thing didn't seem to bother us any against Illinois and Memphis this year.

I never much liked the idea of us playing in the Spokane Arena, as this particular team seems to play better with their backs against the wall. If the Zag team that stormed Maui, and later beat Portland, Memphis, and St. Mary's in the course of two weeks, shows up, then we'll be OK. If the team that showed up in Vegas goes to Buffalo, then we're in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I like the matchup.

The tourney is all about matchups and the Zags got a favorable one.

Run those big guys into the ground.
    I agree with both MickMick and rawkmandale, this could work just fine. While the Seminole’s are big, they don’t seem to be very deep and production seems to drop off fairly quickly.

Another nice thing is that the Seminoles will be traveling quite a ways as well, and too a much colder climate. Hopefully the game won’t be too early.

Second round will be in ‘Cuse’s back yard, but with they’re big going down, Wes Johnson might be the biggest concern once the ZAGS get by FSU.

Here’s a quick comparison I did up, hope it prints out.

Oh, don’t pay much attention to the “Effectiveness” data, that’s just something I do for my own interest. Hmmm, RPI data didn't update either.

Go ZAGS!
    Last edited by DADoZAG; 03-14-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: RPI didn't update

Zags can win this game. Time to be focused, physical and dialed in.

Just do it.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Here are a couple of game story links to give an idea of how they match up with people we know:

Wake Forest
    http://jacksonville.com/sports/colle...ate_past_wake_

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...in-315672.html

Duke
    http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2010...e-70-56-69989/

http://www.news-record.com/content/2..._florida_state

We're going to have to be very serious about wanting to win - Florida State will not be an easy out.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Zags can win this game. Time to be focused, physical and dialed in.

Just do it.
    Agreed. When the Zags play their game, they can impose their will on a "tough defensive squad" like FSU. The Cincinatti game, for instance. When the Zags play their game, I could see them taking down 'Cuse in Buffalo.

Unfortunately, we haven't really seen 'that' team since early in conference play.

But we know its in there somewhere.

In a year which I thought this team was 'different' re: the tourney, this team has ended up looking a lot like past Zags teams going into MM. I could see this team fizzle under FSU's pressure and be a one-and-done or I could see them make a strong run. Unfortunately they've left a lot of evidence the past few weeks that the former is more likely, but this team could surprise me.
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

BlueVoodoo07 Guest

Wow playing a team that shoots FT's worse than us, who would have thought. We got this one go Zags

Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    Here are a couple of game story links to give an idea of how they match up with people we know:

Wake Forest
    http://jacksonville.com/sports/colle...ate_past_wake_

We're going to have to be very serious about wanting to win - Florida State will not be an easy out.
    Wow, held Aminu scoreless and only to 4 rebounds (almost 7 less than his average).

The Demon Deacons' leading scorer and the Atlantic Coast Conference's top rebounder, Al-Farouq Aminu, was held scoreless for the first time in his career, largely by the efforts of Florida State defensive standout Chris Singleton, who also contributed eight rebounds and four steals.

It's all about toughness and execution now.

Chip on shoulder time.

Zags have been there, done that already.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Default get those boards

Florida State has the size to win the battle of the boards and subsequently the victory. The Zags have to be quicker to the ball. Everyone must board if we are to win.
    The team coalesced as a unit early in the season but as the season drew to an end that original unity seemed to disappear. What they have to do is re-coalesce. Play with the same sense of purpose that beat Illinois and Memphis on the road.
    They could learn something from the UDub, that came on late, and is currently playing with interchangeable hustle players.
    I'm not worried about the time diff or playing up in Buffalo which is about the same lattitude as Spokane and as much or more severe weather. After a day,
    there the body rhythms will be in synch.
    If we're lucky enough to move on, it would be nice to catch Syracuse with a bout of over-confidence, since they are so close to home.

One game at a time. Good match up if we play our game. It's not the first game of the day.

Go!! Zags!!!

KenPom has FSU rated No. 1 in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency (83.9). Offense isn't terrible, either (105.2, 119th in the country). His system predicst FSU wins 68 percent of the time.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Florida%20St.

Living in Florida I have had a chance to see them play a lot. Like others have said they were one of the best defensive teams in the ACC and probably in the country. Chris Singleton was named defensive player of the year in the ACC. They are look like an NBA team size wise and they do have a lot of talent. Center Solomon Alabi is projected to be a lottery pick if he leaves. Chris Singleton and Xavier Gibson also have a future in the NBA, and freshman G Michael Snaer was a McDonald's All American last year. The main 3 point threats in Loucks and Dulkys are always hit or miss, they're either really on or really off. The big thing with FSU is the lack of offense and the fact that Leonard Hamilton is not a very good game coach. If the Zags can play they're game and can put up around 75 I think they should win. If you guys have any other questions I will do my best to answer.

The good news for us is they aren't a great 3 point shooting team, which we know is something that kills us. It'll be really interesting watching Sacre against Alabi.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Perhaps we should play "first team to 30 wins." Our defense is going to cause them a lot of problems, too. It's going to be a grinder, unless we can get more turnovers than normal. We certainly have the players to do that.

It sounds like they try to work the ball inside like we do. This will be a war in the paint, so Big Will is going to have to be ready, especially if Rob gets in foul trouble. This could be the most important game of his life.

How do we beat long teams that create good defensive pressure? We have only been marginally successful. Hence, it will be doubly important to limit their points more than they can limit ours, and look for runnouts. Also, let's get Singleton in foul trouble. Harris to the rim?

Tough match up for us. I have seen them play a few times this year and they will definitely slow down our inside game. They are big, and they use that size and length pretty well. My biggest concern is that we are not really a great three point shooting team, and expecting to win by dumping the ball down to Rob could be an issue. We'll need our best game...

Default thanks, FlaZag, interesting,

Quote Originally Posted by FLAZAG View Post
    Living in Florida I have had a chance to see them play a lot. Like others have said they were one of the best defensive teams in the ACC and probably in the country. Chris Singleton was named defensive player of the year in the ACC. They are look like an NBA team size wise and they do have a lot of talent. Center Solomon Alabi is projected to be a lottery pick if he leaves. Chris Singleton and Xavier Gibson also have a future in the NBA, and freshman G Michael Snaer was a McDonald's All American last year. The main 3 point threats in Loucks and Dulkys are always hit or miss, they're either really on or really off. The big thing with FSU is the lack of offense and the fact that Leonard Hamilton is not a very good game coach. If the Zags can play they're game and can put up around 75 I think they should win. If you guys have any other questions I will do my best to answer.
    could you match our starters with theirs and assess how we look vs them and vice versa ? Is steven as good or better than their best defender, for e.g., in your opinion. Who is Harris going to be working ? Matt ? etc.

also who do we need to contain and what do you think our best game plan might be to beat them.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Holy crap, they got matched up against a team that is worse at the line than they are???
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

My worry about a team with tough inside D is Harris' offense. He has not been effective lately inside against the bigs.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    could you match our starters with theirs and assess how we look vs them and vice versa ? Is steven as good or better than their best defender, for e.g., in your opinion. Who is Harris going to be working ? Matt ? etc.

also who do we need to contain and what do you think our best game plan might be to beat them.
    Chris Singleton is one of the best defender's in the country. He is 6'9 very athletic and is pretty good at getting steals. Florida State can be a hard team to preview defensively just because there is not 1 player that you can say we need to stop. It all depends on who has the hot hand becomes the go to guy it seems like. I remember 1 game Singleton had like 20 something and the next he had 4, and someone else had a big night. So it's not like they have a go to guy who night in night out is going to get his points. I would say IMO if you take Alabi out of the game and force them to take more outside shots. As others have said FSU is not a very good outside shooting team and as I said Dulkys and Loucks are always hit or miss.

Will the zags be coming out with a zone to try and force them to shoot outside?

Am I safe in assuming they would probably put Singleton on Harris? Is singleton a good defender both on the block and as a face up defender?