Thread: Any Cross Country News?

Default Any Cross Country News?

I am originally from Spokane, but live on the East Coast. I get plenty of Gonzaga basketball news, but I find it hard to get much Bulldog cross country news. How did their recruiting go this year? Does anyone have a sense of how the men's program is building? Is Coach Tyson making the kind of progress that was expected when he was hired? Any news would be appreciated.

Haven't seen anything in the Spokesman for some time.

I'm a former high school cross country coach so am very interested. Last I heard the school has still not given Coach Tyson scholarships to work with. I would think that the Athletic Department has money but my guess is adding new scholarships might throw the Title IX balance out of whack (even though you would be funding men/women). Just an uneducated guess.

Former1dog (a regular poster hereabouts) is a GU cross country alum. If he doesn't chime in soon you may want to PM him.

I guess it must be right that Coach Tyson doesn't have scholarships to work with, because I haven't seen any indication that much of the major cross country talent in Spokane is going to Gonzaga. And the fact that only one person has responded my question seems to indicate that the cross country program really isn't gaining any kind of traction. It's a shame because there's great coaching and great potential. I guess the Portland Pilots' team championship streak isn't in any danger.

Former1dog here. I was a member of the team years ago and keep up on developments with the team currently.

From a coaching perspective, Coach Tyson is doing a great job at maximizing the potential of the athletes he has on the team. Time wise, the men's cross country team did as well as they ever have at the conference championships this past fall. The problem is, all the other teams have improved a lot as well. So, even though Gonzaga harriers have improved a lot, they haven't moved up in the ranks of the conference. One very positive note is that Gonzaga fielded one of the younger teams in the conference last season. One down side to that observation is that Portland is even younger.

Beyond Tyson developing the runners he has on the team, he also has been successfully in getting lots of folks to come out for the team. This was a capability that he demonstrated as a high school coach. I can't honestly say to what successful end this will have at the collegiate level, but it can't hurt.

In terms of the concept of competing with Portland, that WILL NOT happen unless Gonzaga commits scholarship funding to the program sufficiently to attract top talent. We are not in the same stratosphere of the talent Portland is bringing in. Portland has always been a great program AND they aren't sitting around at the same level waiting for everyone to catch them. They have gotten better and better and better with Rob Connor at the helm for nearly 20 years now. They are now a very good program on the national level, not just as compared with the WCC. They now have Kenyan talent and they successfully recruited arguably the best Freshman in the country this past season. In terms of Gonzaga beating Portland, don't hold your breath.

Thanks for the info, f1.