Thread: Ernie Kent probably out at Oregon...

Default Ernie Kent probably out at Oregon...

(my apologies if someone else posted this)

And Bud withers lists the possible candidates to replace Kent:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...withers24.html

Mark Few is not on the list. And I think for good reason, hasn't his name been thrown around enough times without him showing interest for people to see that he is happy and not ready to go anywhere else?

If they can get Turgeon from A&M, they should look no further.

Now I am worried...I have been afraid this job would actually be open....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Now I am worried...I have been afraid this job would actually be open....
    From what I have heard, from some people that are "connected," Oregon was ready to fire Kent last year and they made back channel contact with Few to gauge his interest and they were told, 'thanks, but no thanks." There decision after that was to retain Kent for another year.

Now, maybe Few was respecting Kent and protecting a fellow coach, choosing not to comment on a coaching opening that did not "exist." However, I just don't see him ready to leave GU.

Default If I were king,

I'd make a rule that any and all basketball coaching changes not be allowed to be made public, under threat of severe penalties, from the end of any regular season, until one calendar month after the NCAA playoffs are completed.

This, out of respect for the players, schools, alumni, supporters, coaches and the game itself.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

ID ZAGFAN Guest

Default Hear, Hear!

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    I'd make a rule that any and all basketball coaching changes not be allowed to be made public, under threat of severe penalties, from the end of any regular season, until one calendar month after the NCAA playoffs are completed.

This, out of respect for the players, schools, alumni, supporters, coaches and the game itself.
    Gamagin for King!

ID ZAGFAN

Here, here! Make it so!
    "Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck..."

I, too, agree, but what about recruiting? At what point do coaches get to scout, visit and sign? I think that might be the arguement against.

That being said, those things should be adjusted to fit within the scope of the Kings edict!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dpouley View Post
    From what I have heard, from some people that are "connected," Oregon was ready to fire Kent last year and they made back channel contact with Few to gauge his interest and they were told, 'thanks, but no thanks." There decision after that was to retain Kent for another year.

Now, maybe Few was respecting Kent and protecting a fellow coach, choosing not to comment on a coaching opening that did not "exist." However, I just don't see him ready to leave GU.
    Nope. Oregon has had no contact with Few. He'll be here next year.

Default Dunlap

Dunlap will be the next coach at Oregon. He was brought in this past year to play the assistant coach in waiting for the Ducks. He was Lute Olson's key assistant at Arizona and somehow they did not name him the coach down there after Lute/O'Neill debacle he was left alone. The guy will do a good job at Oregon even if I hate saying this. Zag Addict am I missing anything further with this?

Default Dunlap declined the Arizona job I believe

He was offered the Arizona gig on an interim basis last year but declined and Russ Pennel took it and did a very nice job and got no shot at the full time job... If I recall correctly

This is my pure speculation, but I would think Dunlap is a less likely coach than he was at the start of the year. Yes, Kent is the head man, but the Ducks have been on a downward spiral this season. I don't think he is a bad hire by any means, but I do wonder if, given the way this season has gone, if Dunlap is going to fit the bill for what Oregon wants to kick off the opening of the new arena.

I will 100% guarantee that if GU goes to the Rose Bowl, the Pita Pit Bowl or whatever then Few will announce his intention to leave a week before.

Thanks for the link dpouley. Some interesting candidates......

Heavyzag's understanding of the Dunlap/Arizona situation is correct. He didn't want to be an interim guy, and in many ways, I didn't blame him due to his background as a NBA assistant, his work at Metro State (2 nationals titles), his enormous respect throughout the coaching community, and the fact that the Arizona program was in chaos at the time.

I think Jake makes a good point about Dunlap. At the start of the year he seemed like the shoe in replacement, but things have just spun so far out of control in Duckville.......you have to wonder.

I wonder if Dan Monson would be approached for the gig.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

I wonder if Dan Monson would be approached for the gig.
    John Wooden would be more likely to take the Oregon job than Dan Monson if it were offered to him.

I won't believe Ernie Kent is out until I see it. The guy has nine lives.

If I were king I would invoke the same rule AND give free Kool Aid to all those who knelt before me
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013