Thread: I will say it

Default I will say it

I have been very critical of Meech many times on this board, even saying that I thought he was one of the worst guards in the WCC (which he was for a while). I am not one to get on this board and usually gush or hammer on players immediately after games, but I have to admit and give him some props for playing excellent in the last 4 games. It has almost been like the game has slowed down for him, and he has begun to play within himself and find his groove. He still can't shoot from the FT line or from outside, but he has managed the offense very well and has finished around the rim superbly. He has started to play with more control, and has really limited his turnovers. I still like that some of the other guards are getting minutes, but Meech has really contributed and made a difference when he is in there over the last 4 or 5 games. If he continues to play this well from here on out, we will be much harder to beat. Way to go Meech.

as I have been saying, the game will "slow down" and be more evident to him as he got more comfortable with his role, position, and expectations.....what we saw the first 1/3 or more of the season from Meech is very typical of a young point guard who is being asked to step into a HUGE role...

Remember not only was he starting for the first time, but he was also working with 3 other first time starters...........

He will continue to improve and his confidence will continue to grow and we will continue to win

Meech is definitely improving.

I'd say he'll be all world if he develops a serviceable outside shot and he starts to consistently dribble drive and do the kick out pass for open looks for his teammates.

everything seems to be coming together for a lot of players. A lot of people have been critical of all these guys, but the Meech, Foster, Sacre, and Kelly that we've seen since USF were the players I think a lot of us were hoping for at this stage of their development. Gray has been decent on offense, but hasnt really blossomed the way many expected....instead he has reinvented himself into an all around guy that plays flat out smothering perimeter defense.

lesson is, Few knows what he is doing.

Meech has improved and he is finding his man on the dribble. His court vision is much better, defense is solid. His shooting is still atrocious from pretty much everywhere though but hey no one's perfect!

Default Competition

increses concentration. You have to know he is working very hard.

Meech is learning that you don't have to go at "10" all the time. Sometimes it's even more effective if you're an "8" or "9" on the accelerator!

Meech is learning and growing. That being said, he will have bad games still too, so we will have to be patient with him. His defense last night on McConnell was great. He was invisible all night long.

The key now is to keep this up the rest of the season. We can't have a let down like we did in the 1st half of the season after we won our tough WCC games.

one could reasonably conclude that improved court vision is due to increased knowledge and understanding of his fellow teammates, where they will be in particular situation, how they like to run the court, where their "sweet" spot is on the court ect......and that takes playing time together.....

shooting percentage I dont know from what I see his mechanics are good and he is the third best shooting percentage from the floor of our starters, behind Harris and Sacre...so he has the best shooting percentage of our guards at .492%.....

If you want to say his 3 point shooting is suspect, i agree, but not his overall shooting......each kid has strengths and weakness and the time to work on weakness is off season, during the season you limit your weakness exposure which is what they have done.

I personally like his game, his style, his tenacity, his all around basketball game and think he is an critical component to opening up options for the other players........

Default Meech has really improved

the last 3-4 games, and I love it. I was one of the people on this board questioning his minutes, etc. and he is proving me wrong. Generally, I hate being wrong, but in this case I love it.........

Go Meech.

YUM........crow tastes good.

Go ZAGS

The 2 guys that I think have turned it on in the past several games are Meech and Sacre. Two rather important guys.

I'll pull a Bobzag on this one: any good movies coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedster View Post
    Meech is learning that you don't have to go at "10" all the time. Sometimes it's even more effective if you're an "8" or "9" on the accelerator!

Meech is learning and growing. That being said, he will have bad games still too, so we will have to be patient with him. His defense last night on McConnell was great. He was invisible all night long.

The key now is to keep this up the rest of the season. We can't have a let down like we did in the 1st half of the season after we won our tough WCC games.
    He played like a repaired, recalled Toyota.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. Over the last 4 games, Meech is averaging 8.75 pts while shooting 74% from the field, 50% from the arc, and 63% from the line. Meech doesn't need to score a lot of points for this team to be successfully, but he does need to be a consistent threat in order to free up Matt, Elias, Rob, and the rest of the guys. His A/TO ratio could still be better, but let's take it one step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedster View Post
    Our Meech goes to 11!

Quote Originally Posted by GUZagDenver View Post
    I have been very critical of Meech many times on this board, even saying that I thought he was one of the worst guards in the WCC (which he was for a while)... If he continues to play this well from here on out, we will be much harder to beat. Way to go Meech.
    I acknowledge you for seeing the improvement. Some people, when they make up their mind, never change their opinion. You see improvement and call it.

Meech struggle this season and now is starting to peak at the right time. Will is becoming a good sub. The team is developing a multiple weapons. Hopefully, we can enjoy them here in Spokane for the first two rounds.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

The best stat of all: Meech held TJ Campbell, Elliott Williams and Mickey McConnell to 4/23 from the field combined. And McConnell didn't just have a poor shooting night last night....he was only able to get one three point attempt off the whole game. I realize that other players guarded those 3 guys at times, but they were Meech's assignments when he was in the game.

Default How, How, How...

Quote Originally Posted by GUZagDenver View Post
    I have been very critical of Meech many times on this board, even saying that I thought he was one of the worst guards in the WCC (which he was for a while). I am not one to get on this board and usually gush or hammer on players immediately after games, but I have to admit and give him some props for playing excellent in the last 4 games. It has almost been like the game has slowed down for him, and he has begun to play within himself and find his groove. He still can't shoot from the FT line or from outside, but he has managed the offense very well and has finished around the rim superbly. He has started to play with more control, and has really limited his turnovers. I still like that some of the other guards are getting minutes, but Meech has really contributed and made a difference when he is in there over the last 4 or 5 games. If he continues to play this well from here on out, we will be much harder to beat. Way to go Meech.
    Happy and glad about Meech's play of late. Also very glad to see GUZagDenver is pleased. Let's rock on and roll the balance of WCC and finish strong in Vegas.

Go Zags!!

Tommy Loyd was talking about how Meech is just now really understanding his role on the team on the post game show last night. He said that what the team needs from Meech is for him to be a catalyst on defense, to push the ball up the floor, and when they are in their half court sets to get out of the way and let Matt be the play maker. It seems that meech has really embraced his role lately. He also said that Meech has been spending a lot of extra time studying film.

Default His Role

I think it was one of the game announcers that said that what is really happening is that the role for Meech has evolved. Matt is more involved in kind of running the offence, and what Meech is supposed to do is play great defence, push the ball up the court, and pick up a few points when he is open. His role is not to run the team like a Blake or Dan D or Ravio. I think this approach is great - I think it makes us really strong to have Matt running the offence once the ball is down - he is so skilled at that. This seems to be a great use of the skills of both players. Would we be even better if Meech was a stronger traditional point guard like Blake ? Of course, but maximizing the abilities of each player is what makes the team best, not trying to force players in to aspects of traditional roles that they just are not good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonebone View Post
    Would we be even better if Meech was a stronger traditional point guard like Blake ? Of course, but maximizing the abilities of each player is what makes the team best, not trying to force players in to aspects of traditional roles that they just are not good at.
    perhaps missing the point on exactly what acceptance of a role means? don't want to get into it, but judgments on Demetri's ability to run an offense "traditionally" and whether he's good at it or not will be tabled by me until at least he is given the opportunity to do it! like maybe next year.

Blake would immediately upgrade any Zag team I have ever seen, but he could not replace what Meech is doing for this team, right now, with regards to winning games.

EDIT: he's paying with renewed confidence, thus playing better...not a surprise there

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!