Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: harris play a blessing

Default harris play a blessing

harris was awful, worst as a Zag... a blessing......selfish, I know....he blows up for 25/15 tdy he is GONE...maybe the biggest plus of the game

Yes, I thought it was a blessing, but not like that. I thought it made this a real team victory and brought out good play by a few other bigs (Sacre, Foster).

As far as Harris staying or going. I'll worry about that in June.

Certainly not the offensive stats we expect from him with only 6 pts. However, he did get 6 rebounds and led the team with 5 assists, so he did contribute. You could tell their game plan was focused on him quite a bit. I think their quickness gave him a bit of trouble, though shots just weren't falling.

I guess we can give him one mulligan for the season. At least this will motivate the heck out of him for St. Mary's! Look out Gaels!!

Nice to see we can win though when Elias struggles. Rob did step up with 13 pts and 6 boards in only 24 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Yes, I thought it was a blessing, but not like that. I thought it made this a real team victory and brought out good play by a few other bigs (Sacre, Foster).

As far as Harris staying or going. I'll worry about that in June.
    +1

Very well said.

Not even putting it in those terms: even though he struggled, I think the positive for him is that it gives him a good look at how hard it would be for him to succeed against the types of athletes with the kind of length that he would see in the NBA. I think it highlights some of the areas where he needs to develop. That will probably help him and motivate him IMO.

Memphis' length bothered Elias. He'll learn going forward. The NBA makes Memphis look short-armed. The team needs him to maximize results, tho.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Default ur reinforcing my point

ur all reinforcing my point..ok, not "awful," surely subpar....but my main pt was IF he had gone 25/15 we wd be thinking differently abt nxt year....BZ's great note: NBA makes the Tigers look short armed!!!!

and yes, Sacre stepped up

who'da ever thought we'd win a big OOC game on free throws, 2 of which by Meech....

I think it was a blessing in that the rest of this young team sees that they CAN win with Harris not chipping in a double-double each game. Great confidence builder for the rest of the squad!

He got hammered a few times on the drive, no call. Bardo mentioned it. Seemed like it got in his head a bit and threw off his shot- pressing a little.
    Everyone has an off game. The 5 assts, esp. the last one, were big, and showed the smarts to adjust and try to contribute in other ways.

Harris struggling offensively made me even more optimistic about this team
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Default You are right Jazz, selfish

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    harris was awful, worst as a Zag... a blessing......selfish, I know....he blows up for 25/15 tdy he is GONE...maybe the biggest plus of the game
    but true. best,

Go TEAM Zags !
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Unless he plans on being the next Charles Barkley, he's going to have to stay. His shot was not on today at all. I definitely think this game dropped his stock a bit.

Talking

So he will be playing SMC with a chip on his shoulder:

Default I remember that thread, too,

Quote Originally Posted by Xin Loi 67 View Post
    again and again. He just had his phone off today. About a week ago there was a thread about Bio-Rythms or something which was accurate to the "T" on both Matt And Harris. My compliments to the Poster.
    You had MB practically on life support. Seriously wounded and "burning up", if I recall. I was thinking of calling 911.

But MB kept twittering that he was not only ok, but having a life and fun, even. He even got stuck in an elevator. At any rate I set down the phone & decided he was far from needing triage.

At any rate I was thrilled he shook off his near-death experience to take Memphis to the woodshed. Weren't you ?

As for EH, he finally had a bad day. Memphis was ready for him. Memphis also mugged him a couple of hundred times and got away with it.

Not sure how hacking, scratching, pushing, biting and shoving effects bio rythms but what Memphis did sure kept him off balance. It sure didn't look like it had anything to do with his birth date. More like his running into a bunch of muggers and the refs who loved them.

Go TEAM Zags !
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”

I really think the refs were very inconsistent - especially with the no calls when he was shooting inside (he got hammered). No excuses though- they were bad on both teams. With that said he found other ways to help, 5 assists, rebounds, defense, etc. I think this will be a good lesson teaching him what He already knows- to adjust to the way the refs are calling the games...

Nice to see Meech hit two clutch free throws at the end, as well as another career high of 8 ponts(?) by big Will. Seems like Will couldn't keep up on defense but did well otherwise and keeps improving as the seasons moves on!
    Last edited by 2wiceright; 02-06-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post

and yes, Sacre stepped up

who'da ever thought we'd win a big OOC game on free throws, 2 of which by Meech....
    Wow ! 2 ++ n 1 pst. U mst b gng sft, jz

Basketball Web Sites Listing

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Default btw, re Sacre . . .

he had kin at that game, according to Hud-Fox on the post game show. They didn't say (or I didn't hear) who in his family made it to the game.

But family was there to watch the big man put in a pretty fair day. And that has to be special for a kid who spends alot of time away from his loved ones.

I was Glad to hear it & hope you all are, too. I was also thrilled to see he picked up his game considerably vs. Memphis.

Go TEAM Zags !
    Go TEAM Zags !

There are none of u who love these Zag players any more than I do, and while this fan believes before Elias Harris leaves GonZaga. hopefully in the 2012/13 season as a graduating Senior, he will leave memories that rival those of any prior Zags, after watching his defensive efforts, especially in the first half, I would say the young man would be much better served remaining in school, getting his degree, polishing his game and leading us to an NCAA Crown or two. The cash will always be there, and at times his defense was rather feeble.
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen

Default Harris's game today

Granted Harris didn't light up the scoreboard today, but if you review that game, you will see that Coach Pastner had him well scouted, and the Tigers had him very well defended throughout the game. He got doubled every time he touched the ball on the perimeter, and when he took the ball inside he got absolutely brutalized going to the rim. The officials swallowed their whistles when he went to the hoop. Elias should have shot about 15 FT's today.

Given that, it didn't seem to bother him, he kept his poise and contributed in other ways. Note the 5 nice dimes and a worthy defensive presence, banging the boards when it was most needed, and on offense fearlessly going to the iron regardless of the non-calls.

The very threat of Elias Harris's potential damage to Memphis opened up the game for others. Sacre, Foster, Gray, Bouldin and even Meech were able to do a lot of damage inside and outside, due to the Tiger's concentration on Harris. These are things that typically don't get tallied in the stat sheet, but we should be aware of them. I thought Harris played a brilliant game today, never letting Memphis take their eyes off him even if his shots weren't dropping.

All in all, a beautifully played and well coached game for the Zags. They could have coughed it up late in the 2nd half against a fine opponent, in front of a hostile crowd of 18K Tiger fans, in fact it looked like that was going to be the case. Big ups to Memphis and Coach Pastner: when he went after the refs with 6-7 minutes to go, his team and the crowd responded and it almost turned that game around.

Fortunately, this version of the Zags feeds off that energy too. Great game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Harris struggling offensively made me even more optimistic about this team
    Agreed. If we can play like that against that kind of homer ref'n with Harris not having much of an offensive game then it's a good sign.

I have been thinking, given the struggles he was having how would you have switched it up?

I am thinking that during the zone runs we were putting up on D move Harris out to the 3 and iso him on the upper corners of the arc, screens below and let him decide to go at the rim and finish or dish. The baseline deal was not in the cards today. He needed to move his approach to the top of the key. You handle length with aggressiveness and by giving yourself room to operate. The longer you are the more likely you are to rely on your arms to defend instead of your feet. Dribble drive and spin around them.

Default UzigIzag: re Harris

"I have been thinking, given the struggles he was having how would you have switched it up?"

I wouldn't have switched it up at all. It played out perfectly. I don't think Elias minded if he didn't get his usual double double today.

Let me start by saying I love Harris and think he will be a terrific player before he leaves. However, in 22 posts so far in this thread only HillBillyZag mentions his poor play on defense. For at least the last 3 games his D has been as inneffective as his offense was today. I know that the NBA is not known for D, but in my opinion Harris needs a LOT more work before he heads for the league.

Again, I support him and think he has tremendous potential to be an all round player that I trust the coaches will help him unleash.

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post

I am thinking that during the zone runs we were putting up on D move Harris out to the 3 and iso him on the upper corners of the arc, screens below and let him decide to go at the rim and finish or dish. The baseline deal was not in the cards today. He needed to move his approach to the top of the key.
    He did have a great move in the 2nd half. About 15 feet out along the baseline he pump faked and the defender bit. Elias blew by him to the rim, but like most shots today, it didn't go in. I love it when he can isolate outside with a big defender on him as he has the quickness to blow past them. He's hitting it well enough from outside that they have to respect the shot.

I suspect that St. Mary's will wish on Thursday that Mr. Harris had not had a rough game (in terms of the shots falling in the hole) against Memphis. I also suspect that he will posterize the entire Gaels outfit!

Now, to be clear - I do like and respect St. Mary's. But, athletes (and people) like Elias Harris have a way of responding to adversity.

Thanks Bronco
    I read all the posts tonight, not wanting to repeat anybody
    and you opined exactly what I was thinking

memphis was gunning for Harris, willing to foul him to death if necessary, and Harris's reaction was to make more assists, and Few adjusted by feeding Sacre and Will more because Harris was double and triple teamed all game long

This makes Harris one of the top contributors to the win, and not really, in my book, having an 'off night'