Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Zig-Zag Path for SMC to NCAA's

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    3,903

    Default Zig-Zag Path for SMC to NCAA's

    Interesting piece from Gary Peterson, Contra Costa columnist in the San Jose Mercury News regarding SMC's chances at an NCAA berth. It comes as no surprise the Gaels best shot at an NCAA bid runs right through Spokane, Las Vegas and a necessary victory over the Zags:

    http://www.mercurynews.com/columns/ci_14307240

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    At this point, I don't think Zags are a lock for a NCAA berth. They've still got wood to saw.

  3. #3
    alaskazagnut Guest

    Default I hope the team realizes this.

    We could lose 3 more games AND the championship game and still get in.

    But unless our Zags play like every game is "walk the plank", the mental habits that go into that might not automatically turn on when it is required. To make matters worse, when we are way ahead, the habit is to slow down and mange the clock instead of continuing on for a 20 or 30 point win. Then the other guys make a run and we can't get the same momentum back again. Luckily, we usually hold on long enough to win by 5-8 and it looks like we just had a tough game. We were up by 10 against USF and we let them back in. Is there some mental barrier that doesn't allow us to get too far ahead. Does the coaching staff come in and make personnel changes to preserve wins rather than win by even more? What is it?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PNWest
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    SMC, see you real soon but not in the NCAA.

    Bennett and the boys can only get there by beating us and that isn't in the cards.

    Any scuttlebutt on his recruitment of the two players from USD? Mods or anyone?

    Go!! Zags!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    SMC, see you real soon but not in the NCAA.

    Bennett and the boys can only get there by beating us and that isn't in the cards.

    Any scuttlebutt on his recruitment of the two players from USD? Mods or anyone?

    Go!! Zags!!!
    I read last week that they'll both be going to SMC. I don't think they can practice yet, but they're signed on for 2010-2011.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    SF, CA
    Posts
    1,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sullyzag66 View Post
    I read last week that they'll both be going to SMC. I don't think they can practice yet, but they're signed on for 2010-2011.
    Rob Jones was enrolled at Diablo Valley JC, during the fall semester at least. He sat on the bench for home games. He will be eligible next year.

    There was some other kid (Tremaine Johnson?), I don't know where he is at though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Juan Capistrano
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    SMC, see you real soon but not in the NCAA.

    Bennett and the boys can only get there by beating us and that isn't in the cards.

    Any scuttlebutt on his recruitment of the two players from USD? Mods or anyone?

    Go!! Zags!!!
    I doubt we would both make it that far in the NCAA Tournament - so I agree that we won't see you either.

    Not all the cards have been dealt, and that's why we play 'em. "The River".

    Nothing to report but Rob Jones is a student-athlete at Saint Mary's College.
    On to Victory!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PNWest
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJGoGaels View Post
    Not all the cards have been dealt, and that's why we play 'em. "The River".
    In Vegas they will be and for the Gaels its off to the NIT.

    Just my opinion.

    Go!! Zags!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    16,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJGoGaels View Post
    I doubt we would both make it that far in the NCAA Tournament - so I agree that we won't see you either.

    Not all the cards have been dealt, and that's why we play 'em. "The River".

    Nothing to report but Rob Jones is a student-athlete at Saint Mary's College.
    I think SMC can make it to the NCAA w/o beating GU. It would mean SMC wins all but (most likely) 2 games the rest of the way.

    I would like to see that hypothesis tested this year.
    .
    youtube - "The Runner"



    Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

    Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

    Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •